W-ring help FAO Shelly and the GTL's UPDATED!

Hi girls, anyone can help with this really but thought shelly might be the GTL with the know-how!

I have seen a w-ring I really like in Green and Benz, a contemporary jeweller in Manchester. The sales assistant was quite cagy about giving me the manufacturer/designers name as I suspect she knows we can get it better priced elsewhere. So I can't search other stockists online etc and price check. Failing that, I'm considering getting it made.

I have desperately been searching the web for s pic of it but can't find one, and thought you guys might be able to suggest something/find something similar? Obviously getting it made would be a bit tricky without a pic!

It's a platinum (about 2-3mm) contoured ring (like a slight but soft wishbone) with 9 diamonds set acros the front half (- I think approx .05cts each?). The diamonds are bar-set although it's hardly noticable and the whole effect is very smooth - almost like a rub-over.

Can anyone help? And what do you think to having it made shelly?

Thanks everyone!

[Modified by: contradiction on 30 July 2008 18:52:39 ]

• sammyjoeuksammyjoeuk Posts: 3,596
    Hi How much was the ring in Greens? The reason I ask, is because wedding ring makers have different price points when the ring contains diamonds, by knowing the price of the ring it points you in the direction of possible shops, you could check out pure jewels online to see if they sell anything similar.
  • roatesroates Posts: 1,478
    It was 1800 ish with the nine diamonds but I fancied it with diamonds all the way around and that would be 3100 ish.

Ok, have you tried Jewellery qtr, or Hatton Garden? They sell tons of different rings and some are branded, it is maybe cheaper to find a similar or the same ring than it would be to have it made to your design. esp if it is platinum. I got my ring from Platinum jewellers and saved £2k of the RRP by shopping around. Boodles also have some lovely wedding rings with diamonds.
    Do platinum jewellers have a website? I seem to remember you saying they were in the jewellery quarter or was that someone else?

I really like this one and haven't seen anything as well made/designed in that style, so will pay the price if needs be but high st jewellers are generally so over priced so I just want to look around - love a bargain (relative!!).

I'll have to look in boodles, they don't have any on the web I don't think.
  • Shelley06ukShelley06uk Posts: 2,474
    My ring came from a company called Whiteflash.com in the states. They have a lovely shaped channel set diamond wedding band on their website - its platinum and a lot less expensive than the one you saw - even once you pay customs and shipping.

http://www.whiteflash.com/Wedding_Bands/Matching-Channel-Set-Diamond-Band-for-X-Prong_985.htm

I will have a good look to see if I can find the one you saw. I am just sitting at home today feeling sorry for myself as I was up all night. These tablets give me nasty dreams! image

xx
  • gindigindi Posts: 1,369
    Contradiction it would definitely be worth going to a jeweller in Hatton Garden or similar - if you can draw what it looks like they'll be able to design it for you with the diamonds all around...
    I found this website - if you are thinking of going custom...

http://www.lancejames.co.uk/lance_james_jewellers.php

Whiteflash can make anything you like and it would work out cheaper than doing it in the UK. But I know some people don't like shopping online for something so valuable.

Hi Shelley - knew you'd be the one to ask!

The white flash one is a great price but it's not that similar to the one I saw. My only hesitation to getting it made there would be worry that it wouldn't turn out right. I think your ring is a rabulous advert for what they can do! Would you mind emailing me the prototype pics you got sent - did they give you a choice of designs? I could easily draw what it was like... to get it custom made, but it'd be nice not to have the hassle!

Re tiffany - I was going to go for the plain elsa perretti one, and i don't want one where the diamonds are spaced out like that - I don't want them to look mean, if you know what I mean!?! lol, hope I don't sound awful!
    Lol! I know exactly what you mean when you say 'mean'...

I spoke to the salesperson at whiteflash by phone first, then I sent them a picture of a ring I liked but gave them instructions to let them know what I wanted. I will mail you some stuff now.

Oooh I think I may have found the ring you were looking at! Its in a magazine so as soon as you email me I will send you a pic!

• rarajdukrarajduk Posts: 1,784
    Contradiction - I think the price that you've been quoted is high for the weight of the diamonds.

You might want to price check by calling some of the Hatton Garden jewellers.

Also, it might be worth buying a ring abroad. I rarely buy diamonds in the UK, as the market isn't competitive.

Lovely design!

x

Rara, that is exactly why I'm looking around, as with so many 'top-brand' jewellers you're paying for the name. It's really frustrating how you get ripped off.

Shelly has done a stellar job an found a very simialr pic in the back of brides mag, this issue. It's on p279 (ads at the back). On the bottom right of the page there are 5 rings in a row and the setting is like the middle one, but the shape is like the one to the right of it, and set with 9 instead of 5 diamonds.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and try and find out who makes it so I can shop around. Might be in the states later this year, so either getting it made or buying abroad is still an option.
    Ohh, I'm getting closer,

have found a good pic on this website - think this might be the manufacturer...

http://www.meisterschmuck.ch/darstellung_produkte_frauen_en,2385,1045.html

The far right, white gold one is what the setting is like.
    That would be easy to have made. Its a pretty standard setting. I think its gorgeous!!! Very pretty and easy to wear too.
    Ohhh...so pretty. I like!

I'm sure you could get it made for under £1k.

x

I would trust this jeweller. Based in Hatton Garden.

http://www.approveddiamonds.com/index.php

Good luck!

x

Thanks, I'll get in touch with them and see what they say, I'm also enquiring in Birmingham where I think sidewalk got hers, as I think it may actually be a furrer jacot design, or at least they do something very similar. And have been in touch with White Flash. I'll keep you all posted! x
    Was it Kate at Platinum Jewellers on Vyse Street?
    I emailed, but it was Platinum jewellers - am waiting for reply.

I've just recieved the quote from whiteflash (how quick was that?!)

For the design as I saw it (half eternity with 9 diamonds across the front) $1795/£911 and full eternity for $2275/£1155

Even with 20% customs etc it's significantly less than the uk price...

I'll have to see what birmingham can come up with. I am a little nervous of getting something so important made. Having said that I had a pendant made once before (in the uk), like a tiffany design and it was perfect.

Was your saving significant sidewalk?

PS I thought of a way to talk money without actually saying how much.. percentages!
    x

[Modified by: sidewalk on June 25, 2008 10:58 AM]
    What ring did you go for sidewalk? can we see a pic? x
    Forgot to give diamond weight - .34ct in the half eternity and .75ct in the full - the diamonds would be approx .04ct to match the side stones on my e-ring - don't want that overpowered.
    I have not got a link, I am on site, its just a plat band with tiny diamonds around each edge. I have removed the price now you have seen the details.
    Sounds lovely - If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose FJ specifically as there does seem to be quite a premium attached to their designs?

Kate from Patinum jewellers has just been in touch and quoted me £70 more than the whiteflash price for them to make it up for me as a half eternity and I have asked for a quote for the full band. She's getting a price rfom FJ for me too but clearly wants to undercut it!
    I chose them because I loved the ethos behind the company and I saw a ring similar in Mappin and Webb, but it did not look as polished, the FJ felt weighty, to me it looks class and lasting and my H2B preferred to get me one that I loved.

A very close second was Boodles, they have some lovely rings in there. WF was also on my list but my h2b does not like internet shopping, he likes to touch things first! I think he is crazy, WF imo are great, but because he is paying, who am I to argue!Lol!

Let us know how you get on with Kate and WF.
    Contradiction - another option could be a 2/3rds eternity ring.

I had one made, as I wanted a full eternity ring, but the jeweller advised against it as I wear the ring on the right hand and diamonds underneath can become loose.

Mine looks like a full eternity from the top and sides, but there aren't any diamonds on the underside. It has 11 stones.

x

a 3/4 eternity means its easier to size the ring in the future too.

Hmm, yes the jeweller in birmingham suggested that and my negagement ring goes more than half way round as I didn't want plain band showing when it spins off centre. She also said that as I have a very small finger size that i wouldn't need too many - she said nine would extend well beyond half way around my finger.

I'm really confused what to do now, whiteflash, brimingham or just pay up and get the one i know is right. Argghh!
    Aww its a tough decision. Let us know once you make up your mind image