Honeymoon help

Hi ladies

Was just wondering what you're all doing about going away on honeymoon. Im typing as Im thinking so bare with me if its a bit rambling!

Are you going the day after the wedding or having a few days to chill out first?

We initially decided to go the day after, but the flight would be at midday. Ive heard some people say that jetting off the day after is bad as you dont get chance to see family and friends the day after and chat aout the wedding...and by the time you get back a couple of weeks later its old news.

Also, is it the best idea to spend your first day as man and wife stuck on a plane?

What do you think?

• lushloobylushlooby Posts: 312
    Hi Claire

We had a few thoughts on this too as someone had said the same thing and it made us think! When I booked our honeymoon we planned to go on the Tuesday after the wedding which would have given us a couple of days with family wetc as we marry on the saturday. However, I have now realised that we are booked to go on the Monday which I was really upset about but then I thought about the fact that everyone will be going back to work anyway!! The only thing that worries me is that we will be knackered and what with the jet lag too! But at least we can relax when we get there!

I don't think it matters too much when you go. The whole day will all be remembered when the wedding pics arrive anyway!!

Hope this makes sense, I too type while I think!!!

xx
  • Hi Claire

We are going to leave it a day to go on honeymoon. We don't have to leave our reception venue until 11am the morning after the wedding and they will serve us and our immediate family who will also be staying there, breakfast. We are then going to have a bbq later that day at my mum and dad's house for our families and close friends.

xx
  • clairey01clairey01 Posts: 435
    thats another thing. we are getting married in edinburgh on a sunday - none of our family and friends are from there and will all prob be shooting off after checking out of hotels on monday morning.

so dont know if it would be daft to stay around when everyone else will prob be going off in various directions to various parts of the country
  • roatesroates Posts: 1,478
    I am actually trying to ensure we go the day after, although early afternoon rather than morning. I don' want to lose the momentum and feel like if we spend the day with families it'll just be like any other day.

I can kind of say that without guilt tho as we're having a big rehearsal dinner the night before the wedding.
  • ruthemilyruthemily Posts: 13,622
    We're getting married on a Sunday, and like glitterangel we don't have to leave our venue until 11am and after breakfast. We will be doing something locally on the Monday to spend time with the people who travelled for the wedding and then will probably leave for our honeymoon on the Tuesday.

So, one day in between.
  • Pootle26Pootle26 Posts: 1,021
    We are getting married on a Saturday, flying out on the following Tuesday. I would've liked to have gone on the Monday, but flights didn't work out like that. Instead we will see family and friends on the Sunday before they go hom (alot live far away) and then finish off packing on the Monday
  • sdasilvauksdasilvauk Posts: 3,050
    Interesting theme here, as I have been debating this with H2B recently...I want to fly out ont he Monday after my Saturday wedding. Not to spend the day with family per se, but to relax with H2B in a nice hotel and indulge a bit before the stress of travel. Thinking of staying at Raymond Blanc's Manoir aux 4 saisons, then travelling back home to London Sunday evening for our flight out on the Monday. H2B wants to depart on the Sunday for honeymoon...will be interesting to see who wins! ha ha

• fitassukfitassuk Posts: 267
    I am getting married in Glasgow but live in London. I didn't really want to travel back to London to pack, so we are going on Honeymoon from Glasgow the day after the wedding. We will meet up with family for an hour before heading off to the airport for an early afternoon flight. I am so excited about it - I can not wait. All my friends and family will be going back to london at the same time and it means I can go from the best day of my life to the best holiday straight away - with the man I love!
  • MrsRafMrsRaf Posts: 1,802
    all i know is we're going to South Africa - H2B is keeping it secret and i love it as i normally organise holidays

our wedding is in france so we have our wedding, spend the night in the chateau together then travel home on wednesday and leave for honeymoon the following monday (because of the flights)

we will probably stay in a hotel in london on our first night back from france just to continue the celebrations.

i wouldn't want to go straight from the venue on honeymoon as i think you need at least 1 day to recuperate. our friends went straight and spent the first 4 days asleep!

but if you can hold on for a month i will let you know how ours goes image
  • charleygirl76charleygirl76 Posts: 2,730
    We get wed on a saturday (10 days time!!) - will have a big b'fast with wedding guests who stay at the hotel (37 at last count) the Sunday morning after - to keep the momentum going - and show off the just married T-shirts! - then it's home so he can watch the Grand Prix (!! - no point thinking anything will change just because we will be married! LOL) and I can continue packing for h'moon and triple checking I/we have everything. We hope to open some of our cards and then we are off to the hotel at the airport- to sleep ALOT before the lunchtime flight on the Monday.

Like Mrs Raf says - if you can hold out till Oct I will report fully if this was to be the ideal way to do it!
  • LXH100LXH100 Posts: 777
    We're having 3 mini-moons (H2B gets itchy feet very quickly, lol). The first of these is for a week in the UK, we are renting a cottage in the Cotswolds. It is also Christmas week so we are looking forward to spending it alone, probably for the first and last time as there are usually family pressures! We are going there the day after the wedding but it will only be a 2hr drive so we will spend most of the day with our families.

We then go to Sweden for a week (Ice Hotel and skiing), back to London for one night (and to change suitcases) and then 8 nights in Mauritius.

Looking at that perhaps we are a little mad, hee hee.
  • We were originally going to have to leave it ten days after we got married to go on honeymoon as I was planning on staying on at uni and I would have had exams right before and after our wedding. Having now decided to just suck it up and get a job, we're going on the Tuesday after we get married: 3 days later. The flights to Jamaica with Virgin only go on a Tuesday and a Saturday, so it was a no-brainer, really. This way, we get a couple of days after the wedding with our families.