Serving fish and chips at my wedding

We are serving fish and chips at our wedding from the local fish and chip shop, it is going to save us at least £700.

The amount of weddings we have been to with fancy meals where people complain about there £35-£55 meal has convinced us that noone is ever happy anyway! The last wedding we went to everyone was whinging about getting 5 chips with there tiny steak!

My friends all think its a great idea, so too does my mum, Dad is not too impressed, but he doesnt seem to realise the cost of weddings and its his fault for the expanding guest list with all his scottish realitives I have not seen since I was a wee bairn!

We are having a buffet on the night do aswell, we got sick of the costs involved ringing caterers who charge a fortune for there services!

• sounds fun!! ooo your making me hungry hehe
  • NickiKittenNickiKitten Posts: 2,074
    We are not formal people, so 3 course meals are not really us, we can eat our fish and chips and get on with the drinking and dancing!
  • NifferyNiffery Posts: 7,908
    Its a great idea! Can I ask how you are organising it? And are you giving people a choice? Is it delivered from a local chippie?

Sorry for the 3rd degree

The chip shop are used to catering for parties and they say our guest list of 60 is fine for them to cater for.

I havnt sorted the details yet, there will be choice of fish and chips, pie and chips, chicken and chip and a veggie option.

The chip shop will give us a discount as well.

I will probably hire some college students to serve up and serve drinks, the reception is in a hall and we had red white and rose wine on the tables.

I would not pay for corkage or have a hotel that would charge stupid prices and dictate to us what we could and could not do, we are having a church wedding and that is where alot of the budget has gone and suit hire cost us £700, cutting cost on a sit-down meal was the best way to lower costs.
  • NifferyNiffery Posts: 7,908
    It sounds great! We are organising our own food too, and mum really wants a sit down meal, but this seems a cheaper way of achieving that!

Thanks xx
    With the cost of food going up, we couldnt even get the original caterer to quote us a 2009 price.

I dont think parent realise the cost of weddings when I showed my dad he was shocked at the prices and I had seriously shopped around!
  • oh yum. how often have we all been to a big do to find the posh beef is dry and the gravy is watery?! fish and chips??? well good idea. love it. i hope youre going all out and serving t on newpaper (maybe you could get mock nwspaper with stories about you and your guests on it?) and wooden forks and mushy peas!
  • I think this is a very good idea.......im having this too maybe so i would say that! A great money saver...
    Wow served on newspapers with stories about us, that sounds like a brilliant idea.

I will have to research that, I know you can get wrapping paper with your pics on.

Time for some googling I think!
  • sounds like a fab idea just make sure none of your guests have allergies. my cousin has an allergy to fish and seafood and only has to smell it and blows up like a balloon.
  • what a great idea at least everyone has a choice of what they want hope it all goes to plan good luck.xox
    No allergies that I know of, Im looking forward to a nice chip butty on my wedding day, I will just have to be careful with the ketchup!
  • lucyf30lucyf30 Posts: 215
    We have a venue whic is really reasonable with a 3 course meal and drinks and buffet included but we are meeting the wedding co-ordinator on Saturday and we are hoping to offer our guests for the main course fish and chips or bangers and mash. We wanted to serve good quality british food made from local produce x
    Sounds great Lucy, good size portions too, not fancy tiny platefuls that leave the guests hungry!

I have found personalised newspapers, yay!
  • I don't blame you we are being charged !7 a bottle for house wine and not allowed corkage either. Wine, arrival drink and toast is going to be over 1K at the moment and thats sickening knowing we could buy it all for what about £400 from tesco but thats the price of having the reception in a Scottish Castle Hotel
  • Hiya.....

NickiKitten...may i ask where you found your personalised paper?

• I think fish and chips is a great idea, I wanted the old East End meal of Pie & mash, but now living in Herts you cannot get it here for love nor money!! The caterer we finally booked was so reasonable and doing a childrens buffet of stuff they like rather than a cooked meal.
    I found the personalised paper at this address:

www.inthepaper.co.uk

You pay £11.99 for the first one and £3.50 for the others, its the front a nd back page of a newspaper you just put around a regular newspaper.
  • Great...thanks for that! image
    Im going to order them closer to date as at the moment theres topical news stories on the front page.

You can change the text and upload your picture.

Nicki
  • emmascan101emmascan101 Posts: 1,495
    Quoted:
    I think fish and chips is a great idea, I wanted the old East End meal of Pie & mash, but now living in Herts you cannot get it here for love nor money!! The caterer we finally booked was so reasonable and doing a childrens buffet of stuff they like rather than a cooked meal.

im middlesex and have hunted high and low for a pie nd mash shop but there is none here image((( Cant beat kelly's down bethnal green

when ever i go back i hve to have some shme it doesnt travel well though

• Lol, tell me about it, I'm a North London Manze's girl myself. Still got family from London so eat it whenever I can and still take it out!! When I was pregnant it was my craving, I could have eaten it every day!
  • emmascan101emmascan101 Posts: 1,495
    thats a good craving!!!

i went for wierd stuff like carntion milk yuk!
    My h2b loves pie and mash, hadnt better tell him about that or fish and chips may be out the window!
  • bettyfbettyf Posts: 44
    FANTASTIC idea - well done you! I have been to many weddings and I can't honestly tell you what I had to eat at any of them. This will be memorable!
    I was hoping so! I wanted a church do, horse and carrage a great dj and doves, a sit-down 3 course meals was lowest on my list of expenditure!
    We are going to have a choccy fountain as desert!!!! Im going to need a second dress!
  • How was the fish & chips?