Forum home The wedding budget

im soo bad at haggerling

but i cant afford not to .

here is a emai lim about to send to a photograher

we realy like your work and love your creative album style, however we are dramaticaly scaling back our wedding owing to the econimic crisis.

we can not afford the reportage which we really loved - is there any way of reducing the cost ?

is this the way to go or should i be stronger / name a price i will go to etc

please help

• xCandyxukxCandyxuk Posts: 147
    I think what you've wrote seems good to me, it's round about what i'd put. Wait and see about the email you get back and if he asksfor specific prices give him a low estimate (below how high your willing to go) with room for you to negotiate! If he says no to the first idea keep haggling and all he can do is say no then just review your options. xx
  • ljayukljayuk Posts: 1,263
    thanks ive just sent it off , but i made a few changes like ive been alot more flattreing and asked what discounts they do for small single venue weekday weddings tbh i couldnt have made their job any easier if i had tried lol

i just hope he drops it enough next i have to tackle the venue for price reduction eeekkkk
    I plan on telling a little porky to our venue and saying that another venue has offered little freebies like throwing in arrival drinks for free and a discount on the rooms as we'll be block booking around 10. Im going to ask politely if they do any discounts and see if they can match or beat my (imaginary) first offer! Politely of course while flattering them repeatedly image xx
  • shoogsukshoogsuk Posts: 10,344
    as a rule ive discovered that you should never accept the first quote.. and the more you mention 'wedding' or 'bridal' the more expensive things tend to be.....lol
  • Quoted:
    I plan on telling a little porky to our venue and saying that another venue has offered little freebies like throwing in arrival drinks for free and a discount on the rooms as we'll be block booking around 10. Im going to ask politely if they do any discounts and see if they can match or beat my (imaginary) first offer! Politely of course while flattering them repeatedly image xx

They'll probably ask which venue it is because any business worth it's salt will ring them to confirm what you're saying
    I see what your saying, but if i was a venue who when asked, gave a discount and/or freebies, i would ask them not to disclose the name, because bare in mind if you went around and told everyone go to this hotel and ask for this then, they would have to start giving the same discounts and/or freebies to everyone who asked!

To be honest i also doubt the venue you told would go and ring up the other venue/s that you mentioned and double check, and if they did, the other venue wouldnt disclose their offers to other companies! They wouldn't want competitors to know what they were doing would thay?! Because then they leave it open for competitors to better their prices and thay might lose custom!

So to be completely honest i do disagree with you. But thanks for your advice anyway image xx
    ok im not very happy recieved email back from photograper who offered a discount of £300 great i think but then i read on they had just cut the level of service from 5 to 3hours this is not what i want in fact i would prefer to have more coverage for the orginal price rather than less coverage for less cash ( dose that make sense)

So im going to leave it till mid next week then send this response

we love your work alot and have already reconmended you to a friend ( lesley and clem they should be in touch shortly, as well as ella and ed who are in the early planning stages ) however this is our special day and pauls feels very strongly that this should be captured as these are memories to keep .

the other package offers the following :

pre wedding shoot

photos from the brides getting ready to the fake cake cutting (5 hours coverage )

a cd of the photos

album of upto 48 images .

extra time £100 for the first hour £70 for the additional time after that

this service is £1300 . if you would be willing to match this level of service then i would be happy to go ahead. we would obviously not have the thank you cards or the pocket books . it is realy the level of coverage we are concerned with .

we are hoping to be able to afford the £295 for the extra time for the speeches and the fireworks closer to the date ,if this is the case we will pay cash for this service .

many thanks we hope to hear from you soon

the thing is i dont want a inferer service if i piss them off - what do u think ??
  • Have you got any other quotes you can compare them to, and use that as ammo?
    hi knot

the package listed is a real package (1300) from a photographer who knows the venue very well , effectively what the creative photographer has done ( the one we want ) has not given us a discount for a thursday but given us a new quote for a different job . very annoned x