Does this budget sound realistic??

Sorry in advance for the long post for i've just being trying to set my budget and wanted some advice. I originally wanted it to be no more than £10k but i think it will be more likely £12k due to the venue hire but it is hire of the whole hotel and it's the only place we've found in the right area that we really like. Please let me know if i've forgotten anything or if i'm being unrealistic about anything.

Church £450

Reception venue £3000

Dress £860

Suits £550

Flowers £300 (by a friend)

Cake £0 (present from best man and fiance)

Rings £500

Car £300

Photographer £800

Bridesmaids and my accessories £300

Stationery £50 (doing it myself)

Canapes and welcome drink £400

3 course meal for 100 £2250

Evening meal for 200 £800

Table wine £900

DJ £300

Favours £100

= £11860

We are getting a bit of help from both sets of parents then saving the rest ourselves. Then we thought about doing a honeymoon wedding list to help us out.

Does this seem ok? xx

• Seems ok to me. How many bridesmaids are you having? just coz bridesmaid dresses from bridal shops range from the £130 mark right up to past £225, so the £300 you have for bridesmaids may be a little shy if you're having more than one x
  • xVRowdingxxVRowdingx Posts: 248
    Sorry i missed that bit off by accident. I've already got the dresses, that was for the accessories for them and me. I got them in the sale for £25 each and i've got 4 bridesmaids. I haven't put that on as my mum bought them (cheating slightly).
  • lozza83lozza83 Posts: 3,777
    Hiya hon, all looks about right to me. Have you thought about your hair and makeup? that would be around £100 if you have it done professionally x
    Ooh good call! See, this is why i need you girls to help me. There are so many little extras that seem to add up.
  • My hair cost £30, did my own make up because didn't trust some random making me up to look like a clown!

From what I can see, comparing your list to mine, you have missed the following:-

Stamps

Underwear

Shoes

Gifts for parents, bridal party and groomsmen

Table cameras

Table camera developing

Guest Book

Table confetti

Dress alterations

Obviously you might not want some of the things I had, but thought I would mention them just in case!

[Modified by: Mrs Pookie on August 27, 2009 03:27 PM]

• Thank you cards

Honeymoon!
  • sounds like a good budget and even more fab if you can stick to it. my advice would be to save a little extra though if you can as contingency as there'll always be something you didnt budget for that costs that bit extra!
    Quoted:
    My hair cost £30, did my own make up because didn't trust some random making me up to look like a clown!

From what I can see, comparing your list to mine, you have missed the following:-

Invites (quite important, those!)

Stamps

Underwear

Shoes

Gifts for parents, bridal party and groomsmen

Table cameras

Table camera developing

Guest Book

Table confetti

Dress alterations

Obviously you might not want some of the things I had, but thought I would mention them just in case!

Thanks hun.

Lol on the invites comment - no worries they are within my stationery which i am making myself.

Oh yes i forgot about gifts - i'd put down £240 for those.

Underwear and shoes are within my accessories.

I need to put on table cameras and developing and guest book.

I've got table crystals already and my dress cost includes alternations.

I'll add those extras on. Cheers. x
    Quoted:
    Thank you cards

Honeymoon!

We're having a honeymoon wedding list and then paying the rest ourselves.

I'll make the thank you cards. x
  • how about you toast drink?
  • flickyukflickyuk Posts: 16
    how much is the honeymoon, is that included? our honeymoon just for one week is £1700. Im finding its the hidden costs that are adding up, just be very careful when you book with people that everything is included and are no hidden extras
  • clair_wallclair_wall Posts: 282
    We added a contingency of 10%, luckily we haven't eaten into it. Sounds about right to me, however you can look around for bargains. Ours has come in at just over £9000 (not inc honeymoon), but we are having less guests than you.
  • misswmissw Posts: 40
    My budget was similar to yours when I started; it's now drifting towards £16k. That's because I keep falling in love with things and the motto of our wedding has become "for the sake of another hundred quid..." which is really dangerous! Be strong!

Have you checked that all your costs include VAT? Also £4 per person for an evening meal sounds very cheap (what are you getting for that price?) and it would be nice to offer your evening guests a welcome drink too.

Good luck with it all, hiring a whole hotel sounds like a lovely idea.
  • kitten-Bkitten-B Posts: 97
    I think it looks pretty good, I have a similar budget - wanted to stick to £10k but it's just not as feasible as I hoped so going to be more like £12k-13k. You are lucky with you cake and flowers - they were things that cost more than I hoped. I think most of the other things have been pointed out above. Is your wedding dress price based on an actual dress? It's definitely one of the easiest cost, with alterations to spiral! And do your bridesmaid dresses need altered?

What about any other entertainment? We are skipping a band due to cost but I am having a singer/pianist at the drinks reception.

The price of a veil surprised me - got a simple one from a moderate bridal shop and it was £150. So £300 for 5 people's accessories can dwindle quite quick, especially if you want to get your shoes and underwear out of it. Tiaras and fascinators, if you are thinking of having either are fairly dear too.

Hairdresser for me and bridesmaids is about £200 (including my trial) and I'd imagine you'd need that?

But all in all looks like a good budget!
  • linzi108linzi108 Posts: 403
    Quoted:
    The price of a veil surprised me - got a simple one from a moderate bridal shop and it was £150. So £300 for 5 people's accessories can dwindle quite quick, especially if you want to get your shoes and underwear out of it. Tiaras and fascinators, if you are thinking of having either are fairly dear too.

I'll second that!!!! My accessories alone are £385 and thats without underwear. Then its costing me about another £300 for 3 adult bridesmaids and 1 flowergirls accessories. And thats with bargain ebay shoes!
    Ouch Kitten-B and Linzi108, i'll maybe have to up that part of my budget.

missmw - i'm so with you on your little saying. I fall in love with things far too easily and have to have them which is not good when on a budget!

After a talk with my h2b last night we have decided that before booking this venue we are just going to double check there is nothing else around that could be a bit cheaper (even though i have searched loads of venues). It's the venue hire that seems to be upping our budget so if we could cut that down it would be easier on the pocket. We've just bought a new house and taken on quite a bit bigger mortgage than we had before, and my h2b is a self employed electrician and with work the way it is he's just a little worried that we won't be able to save as much as we need to. We are getting help from both sets of parents but we still need to find about £6000 to cover some of the wedding, the honeymoon and my h2bs wages while he is off before the wedding and for the honeymoon, and our savings are currently £0 after spending loads on things for the house.

I'd love to get the wedding down to 10k. That is my mission for the weekend. Let see how it goes - lol! xx
  • SezziebSezzieb Posts: 61

"The price of a veil surprised me - got a simple one from a moderate bridal shop and it was £150. So £300 for 5 people's accessories can dwindle quite quick, especially if you want to get your shoes and underwear out of it. Tiaras and fascinators, if you are thinking of having either are fairly dear too."

I'm not sure I would agree with that! I bought my accessories last week from an online shop which has a workshop in the woman's home! Veil was only £40 and it's gorgeous! Tiara was £65 and got necklace, earrings and bracelet set for £40! Bargain. Looks so lovely too!

Be weary of going to actual bridal shops for accessories because I think they charge too much!
  • Alison-79Alison-79 Posts: 237
    Have you tried the budgeter on here? you put in your budget and it splits your money for you and has everything on there. you can alter it as well. its really good and i always use it x
  • I'd defo say get your accessories etc from ebay. I got my bms from there for less than £10 and I also got them swarovski jewellery sets as a gift for £20 each. My own tiara, a Bel Aire one from an American seller cost me £25 inc delivery and it's worth over £100. I also got our organza bags as favours, people tend to leave them anyway so wanted something simple and we're putting chocs in them so people will be more likely to eat them, only cost £10 for 100.

I have also found a really nice lady online who is doing my wedding jewellery. She's making me a swarovski cuff and matching earrings for £70 which I think it a bargain considering the amount of work going into it and she's making it to my requirements so it's quite unique.

I've also saw a veil on ebay, with swarovski detailing for less than £20. So defo shop around and if your on a tight budget, then get the little things each month cause the cost builds up.
  • The best advice that I was given when I started planning my wedding was to haggle with the sellers. My dress was originally £850, I got it down to £350 and it wasnt even in the sale. With the economic climate as it is at the moment, most sellers are in need of a sale so bargain with them. You never know what you will get.

My original budget was £10k we have managed to do the wedding for a total of £4k and I have everything that I want.

Its worth a go.
  • If the venue is not within walkin distance of the church you may need 2 consider coaches