Permanent hair straightening - anyone had it done?

Hi ladies

Has anyone had their hair permanently straightened? I have naturally wavy hair but prefer wearing it straight and straightening it every day is really starting to take its toll! I read somewhere that permanent hair straightening like the Japanese method (Yuko, I think?) is a good longterm solution and have been thinking about getting it done.. has anyone had it done already? What was your experience like? Would you recommend it?

Thanks xx

• MistyxxMistyxx Posts: 1,679
    Hi Fashionista,

My hair sounds to be like yours, wavy but not curly enough to leave that way?

I had mine permanently straightened a few years ago, not the way though that you are enquiring about, tbh I've never heard of it lol.

I didn't get the results that I was expecting, all it did was make my hair slightly easier to straighten.

If you try the Japanese method, let me know how you get on x
  • I have often thought about having my hair permanently straightened but from what I have heard the damage puts me off.

My aunt has enquired about the Japanese method (think you're right, Yuko) but there are apparently only 2 places in London that do it, both have a 6 month waiting list!

xx
  • Thanks ladies.

Misty, yes that's exactly what my hair is like, if it looked curly enough then I'd leave it that way sometimes, instead its just a bit 'blah' and in the middle! Will let you know how the Japanese method goes if I do get it done!

VW - the prospect of damage is what's putting me off too! I posted the same question on General Chat and there are a couple of ladies on there that have had it done and said that they didn't get any damage which is heartening!

Gosh, 6 months is ages!! Don't want to wait that long!! My wedding is in July and was hoping to have it done well before then (hoping for minimum effort fab hair on honeymoon!)

xx

• I can only dream of minimal effort hair!

Wow, no damage? If that is the case I may start looking into it again...

xx
  • clcparkclcpark Posts: 203
    Hi, I've had my hair Yuko'd twice now, the most recent treatment was at the beginning of August and my hair has never felt more silky and smooth.

My hair is wavy and coarse =uncontrollable on a rainy/windy/humid day and I can honestly say that the Yuko treatment is well worth the wait and expense.

I used to straighten my hair every 2 days and now I can just wash it and leave it to dry naturally, now and again I use a bit of serum but usually nothing.

Hope this helps x
  • MrsJLCMrsJLC Posts: 393
    Hi, it's probably different but I have my hair chemically relaxed/straightened every 6 weeks but I have afro hair, so I'm not sure what the damage would be for european hair? Mine does suffer damage so I have to have treatments in between, it's expensive but so worth it! I hardly use hair straightners and when I do it doesn't take long to do it. It does take a lot of maintenance in terms of being at the hairdressers every few weeks but definately worth it! xx
  • I do Yuko treatment on my hair twice a year and have done so for the last 3 years. My hair is extremely curly and freezy so I still need to use a straightener every couple of days but I still love the effect of Yuko on my hair.
  • willsgalwillsgal Posts: 419
    I used to market these products (even though I never used them myself!) They don't damage your hair if they're applied properly, but they are quite technical products to get to grips with so make sure your hairdresser knows her stuff!! Once it's done, they rationale is that you may still need to blow dry and/or straighten your hair but not as much - it will keep a sleek style on its own for much longer. Hope that helps! x
  • Hi, my friend has been having the Yuko treatment done for years and loves it. Her hair is thick and curly and she doesn't even have to use straightners now. I'm not sure where you live but there are quite a few salons in Liverpool that do it. I live in Leeds and go to Nicky Clarke to have my hair done and they have just started doing a brazillian straightening system. I don't know anybody who has had it done but my hairdresser told me it is fantastic and he thought it was even better than Yuko.

Vicky x
  • moni2moni2 Posts: 1

I bought Gurin hair straightener form amazon after reading reviews. Great flat iron. I'm a hairstylist and I love this flat iron. It works just as well, if not better, as my expensive flat irons. It gets very hot, and very quickly. I like almost everything about it, but I do wish it was a little thinner.

http://www.amazon.com/Gurin-Ceramic-Tourmaline-Straightener-Carrying/dp/B00ANW4LLY?keywords=Hair+Straightener

• Wow no damage! That's amazing, i have curly hair and had some permanent straightened hair treatment (not Kudo) it left my hair damage and still need to use hair straightener. Then my partner just prefer my curly hair look! 

Now I'm happy without hair straightener, I put some hair oil, curl mose, serum then leave it to dry naturally to get a wavy beach look. No more damage to my hair now I'm quite happy :-)

will look forward to hear your Kudo results :-)

• Hello! I don't know whether it is urgent to you still, but I want to recommend to you this useful site: http://hairbrushguides.com/ Its all about hair straightening. Hope, it will be useful for you and anyone who want to align the hair.
    Good luck )

• sonia9sonia9 Posts: 243

I had a Brazilian blow dry years ago which is a smoother rather than a straightener and it was amazing. I have thick, unruly curly hair and always straighten it. I didn't even need to run over it with the straighteners and my hair was in such good condition. It lasted about 3 months as I used some sulphate and sodium free shampoo and conditioner. I paid a lot to have it done and then I tried the diy versions but they were no good for me. I'm actually going to the hairdressers on Friday to have Kerastraight which is £100, it's a birthday present. I haven't had this before but I can let you know what happens!!x

• sonia9sonia9 Posts: 243

Kerastraight done and brilliant!! so pleased with the results. My hais is in great condition and I now only run over it with the straightness xx

• I always had fine frizzy curly hair, especially in humid conditions my
    hair became very messy, which was always embarrassing and uncomfortable.

I tried Brazilian hair straightening, but it only lasted until next
    wash.

I tried all different hair straighteners, but they only damaged my hair even more, because I had to use them after every wash!

The only treatment which really worked for my hair was Japanese Hair Straightening, I already did it 3 times and will always keep doing it. It really helped me save my hair and make me more confident about my look.

However, it is very important that this very serious chemical procedure is done by a very well trained stylist. I use a salon in Central London: www.straight-hair-london.co.uk