Non-cheesy DJ - London

Hi all,

I am looking for a DJ for my reception in London. Whilst I want him to play some 80s/90s music, I desperately don't want someone cheesy and don't know where to start!

I don't want someone who talks over the music, stops the music for people to sing, has a huge board advertising his name (or worse wears a bomber jacket with it emblazoned over the back) or plays anything like Oops Up Side Your Head/Macarena/YMCA/Ketchup song etc etc

Any ideas or recommendations gratefully received, no real budget at the moment either so open to suggestions!!

Thanks ladies!!

xxx

• cazfaycazfay Posts: 643
    Hi ya

We've booked through this company: http://www.weddingmusic.co.uk/

I've not used them yet (wedding's July), but they came highly recommended by our venue. They guarentee to play exactly what you do and don't want. Might be worth a look?

• Hi there,

I think this guy might be exactly what your describing:

www.mattmaurice.co.uk

Hope it helps,

Katie x
  • Wow. pretty expensive. Could get a good band for that!
  • Ooof1234Ooof1234 Posts: 232
    Thanks Katie Cupcake, he looks good, I will drop him an email - have you any experience of him?

Prices are from £595 which seems fairly reasonable to me. We already have a singer earlier in the day so we don't want to double up in live music in the evening!

xxx

xxx
  • We have booked Matt Maurice from recommendations! He will be at the designer wedding fair this weekend at battersea, might be worth a visit?

Hi Jojosmaman - Unfortunately we can't make the fair this weekend, annoyingly I have two florist appointments on the same day and in hindsight I should have gone to the fair first!

Anyhoo, would you mind me asking roughly how much you are paying? It says his prices start at £595 but then there is this competition for £3k's worth of wedding DJ-ing?!

Thanks xxx
  • ziggywigsziggywigs Posts: 1,435
    I'm paying £400 for our DJ for the night....we had two other quotes exactly the same for London so it seems to be a standard.
    Hi Ziggywigs,

Who did you get your quotes from? So far I've had AudioSushi and The DJ Agency and the price seems to vary also in comparison to Matt Maurice!

xx
  • Quoted:
    Wow. pretty expensive. Could get a good band for that!

I thought this was a thread for big budget brides?

I am new to this so please forgive me what is a big budget bride as note above and some others seem to imply that there are some more money savvy ladies on the forum?

How much constitutes big budget? Please don't anybody take offence to this question I am just asking.........:\?
  • Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Wow. pretty expensive. Could get a good band for that!

I thought this was a thread for big budget brides?

I am new to this so please forgive me what is a big budget bride as note above and some others seem to imply that there are some more money savvy ladies on the forum?

How much constitutes big budget? Please don't anybody take offence to this question I am just asking.........:\?

Does my 50k wedding constitute this?

My, all be it arrogant view, of a DJ is that it is someone who plays the tracks that you want and is there to add the visual a stand alone CD player can't.

So the lighting and lasers my not be as good but I shore hope the 9 piece band I have booked with come with the amazing lighting rig they have promised and shown in their videos.

£600 is a lot for a DJ whether your budget is £4000- or £40,000 because from what my extensive research has shown the only difference is the rigs they come with.

Our DJ will be using our bands lighting and sound rigs as they are far more impressive.

This also could be a reason why our DJ is so cheap because he doesn't hardly have to bring any thing.

• [Modified by: emily-123 on February 10, 2010 12:56 PM]

• LMStobe- I think we are paying about £800 for him as he is doing til 7- 1am (with a band in between) and also travelling up to Manchester so we have additional costs so I guess you'll be looking at around £6-700 for London?

emily-123- Sorry I have to disagree with you. In my opinion you get what you pay for with a DJ, I have been to enough weddings where the DJ has cleared the dance floor with a Grease megamix or Mambo No 5 despite having a playlist to stick to to warrant me budgeting a bit more for a DJ who has a good rep. To be honest you can probably get a cracking DJ for less than I am paying but I wasnt prepared to take the risk and having been to four weddings last year (gladly no funerals!) and not being impressed with any of the DJ's I was getting a little worried!

x

• emil123 as i said i wasnt trying to cause offence and nor do i think i wan't to be part of a competitive how much is my wedding costing forum or how flash is everything i am having .....

I think having an idea of value in the current climate is commendable and was merely hoping for guidance if I am on the wrong section of the site!

where can i get a good band for £600 is what i thought when i read the thread initially as i think this is great value for a good band.

I am sorry you chose to take my queries as offensive!
  • ziggywigsziggywigs Posts: 1,435
    Quoted:
    Hi Ziggywigs,

Who did you get your quotes from? So far I've had AudioSushi and The DJ Agency and the price seems to vary also in comparison to Matt Maurice!

xx

I just googled DJ London and eventually I found DJ Lewato and Omo Whyte who did exactly what we were looking for and they quoted the same. We wanted for an African DJ.

Like you I wanted someone who didn't talk over the tunes and didn't play Ketchup song, Agadoo! or Dancing Queen lololol but play a good mix for a mixed crowd of Brits and Africans LOL.

I've found googling the best and asking around.

What type of music are you looking for?

• Hiya, I just came across this thread on recent posts. I can't believe your dj is charging FROM £595. Out of curiosity what do you get for this? Me and my husband are djs' and charge £150 regardless of the type of event and for events that last as long as 10 hours. We have brilliant equipment and every imaginable song. I seriously don't get this!
    Mrs Johnson - where are you based?

I am in London and am looking for a DJs that perhaps plays at corporate events etc rather than usual 'wedding dj' and these are the sort of prices you can expect to pay. There are some things within our planning that I feel you get what you pay for and a DJ (like a photographer/videographer etc) is one of those things. It's a personal choice, I am sure I could find someone much cheaper but that's not what we want.

xx
  • Hiya I'm in the midlands, so I can appreciate prices are higher in London. I am just shocked by to what extent. In Nottingham/Derby £150/£200 is standard in the current climate.

Paying more is likely the safer option, although if you can see them dj'ing at an event that will give you a great idea what to expect.
  • JohndailyJohndaily Posts: 4