Bridesmaids dresses - how much for alterations

Hi All

I am looking for my BM dresses at the moment and wanted to see what everyone has paid for alterations so I can have a informed idea for the budget. Specifically either in London or Cheshire.

Thanks image

• SezziebSezzieb Posts: 61
    I just collected bridesmaid dresses and they want to charge £45 per dress! That's ridiculous I think based on the fact these are made to measure dresses! My wedding dress is about 2 sizes too big and that's only costed £60 to alter.

Not sure what the average price is though.
  • PurpleMuffinukPurpleMuffinuk Posts: 1,385
    My wedding dress cost £85 to alter. To be honest I think £45 sounds fair depending on what needs doing, alterations shouldn't be cheaper because they are on a bridesmaid's dress!!!
  • rc29rc29 Posts: 28
    I had a bridesmaid dress altered last year - taken in around the top and it cost £17 I think. My friend who was a bridesmaid at the same time spent abot £25 and that was for taking in the bust and making it shorter. This was on the Wirral so near to Cheshire. I think bridesmaid dresses should be cheaper to alter as normally there is not as much to their style (and I am a textiles teacher so I like to think I may know something!) Hope this helps x
  • I'm from south wales, s nowhere near you, but my bridesmaid alterations are £25 each. Thats just to take the bust in on each though & I did have a discount because the lady is an old friend of my mums.

• hi guys,

sorry to hijack your thread but rc29,where did you get these alterations done? we live on the wirral and some of these charges are ridiculous! image
    I can't remember exactly as the other (more useful!) bridesmaid organised it but it was a lady who lived in Moreton. I will investigate with my friend and get back to you if i find anything else out
  • The shop I'm getting mine from charge by what they do- ie turning up costs £25, taking in costs £50 etc.

When I was BM almost 2 years ago, Berkertex charged £100 no matter what you had done- so for me turning a hem up cost £100

There seems to be no rules to it xx

• Nicole84ukNicole84uk Posts: 162
    I shopped around and got a seamstress who charged £20.00 to shorten and extra £10.00 to take in. Dry cleaners and formal hire shops who also had alteration services were also cheaper than bridal shops. I have 5 adult bridesmaids, so this is quite a saving. x
  • Nicole84ukNicole84uk Posts: 162
    I shopped around and got a seamstress who charged £20.00 to shorten and extra £10.00 to take in. Dry cleaners and formal hire shops who also had alteration services were also cheaper than bridal shops. I have 5 adult bridesmaids, so this is quite a saving. x
  • Garfyuk1Garfyuk1 Posts: 585
    my bridal store in colchester charged me £20 per dress for my bridesmaids to have altered and my dress was £75
  • EriksfjordEriksfjord Posts: 123
    Wow - this has given me something to think about! Alterations to my dress will cost me £20 at the shop! Will be getting the BM's dresses altered if need be by a dressmaker locally who has given me a rough estimate of £15 per dress depending on what needs doing!
    hi jonnyc0151, Sorry i completely lost this thread but now it's back again I can repky! Asked the other bridesmaid - she couldn't remember the lady's name but she lives on Upton Road in Moreton
  • Hi ladies I’m a seamstress 30 years experience in Cheshire in my Area I charge a middle of the road price for alterations it’s very difficult to Compare prices eg to alter a bodice if it is satin Siffon or Organza they will be cheaper that a heavy lace or appliqué  .hems there may be main dress fabric with any number of under skirts in a wide range of fabrics also you may have full skirts with a lot of fabric or a slimline dress along with the Type of ham required example rolled hem over Locked rolled hem etc I think my best advice is to find someone you can trust with experience may be not a wedding shop as they tend to be more expensive  I have 2 contracts with wedding shops and they add to the price that the seamstress charge  and inexperienced seamstress can make a mess of the dresses and it can cost a lot more to put address right if that’s even possible hope that helps x