Old topic sorry - Halifax Bank Charges

Has anyone actually been able to claim back their charges from Halifax? H2B tried to claim his back and they turned him down - I was able to get most of mine back from HSBC and Capital One...

Should we bother taking them to court or will it end up costing us loads of money...?

Kate x

• garethpgarethp Posts: 447
    Hi Kate.

I have heard that quite often as soon as the bank knows you will be taking them to court they pay up. I think it will cost you anout £30.00 to set the ball rolling. Does your H2B think he has much dosh to claim back?? If so I'd say pay the £30.00...it's worth a try! I've just sent the first latter to Barclays and had a reply saying they are looking into it so i should here within a month...fingers crossed...any money would be helpful with wedding coming up hey? x
  • mrsa0412mrsa0412 Posts: 156
    you claim the court fee back aswell so you wont be out of pocket. dont accept a partial offer go for the full amount and add interest. my claim went from £4899 to £9123 with the interest added. go to www.reclaimunfaircharges.com you can see just how easy it is to claim back whats yours. then you can add those extra to your specil day that you couldnt afford before.
  • Quoted:
    you claim the court fee back aswell so you wont be out of pocket. dont accept a partial offer go for the full amount and add interest. my claim went from £4899 to £9123 with the interest added. go to www.reclaimunfaircharges.com you can see just how easy it is to claim back whats yours. then you can add those extra to your specil day that you couldnt afford before.

Lol wish I'd known that before.. I've just accepted HSBC's offer which was £600 less than what was owed..

H2B is only owed £670 from Halifax but they turned him down saying that it was "acceptable charges". Still going to take them to Small Claims Court I think..
  • mrsa0412 can you please explain how you worked out the interest? When looking on that website i've tried using their spreadsheet and it's saying that i'm due HUGE amounts of money in interest.. that can't be right, there's no way the bank owes me £560 in interest on £255...?

Kate x
  • carmitagecarmitage Posts: 361
    Hi

I sent my first letter to the halifax months ago to get back all my statements & find out how much charges i have paid along with a cheque for £10 - up to now i havent heard a thing, will chase it in the next few weeks although i didnt send it recorded deliver and have a feeling they will just say they never received the letter so will have to send another one.
    mrskirby2b the interest is probably correct if you have had charges going back a few years. the longer they have had your money the more interest they owe you on it. image
    one thing just check you are using the correct interest rate you will find it on your statement then change it on the top of the spreadsheet and it works it all out for you.
  • Hi stress head.. I had to do the same with HSBC and as I say they have made an offer now. The letter we got back from Halifax basically stated that they were in the right to charge what they had because it stated the charges in the T&C's.. So we're going to take them to court..

I just worked out the interest on my HSBC one and it's added another £400 onto the total...! Make sure you add interest!

Kate x
  • kellyanludkellyanlud Posts: 888
    I claimed the full amount with interest from the halifax and used this website:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

I did end up starting court proceedings but before it actually went to court they sent a letter to me telling me my money will be credited with the full amount along with the interest and the payment I made to take them to court!!
  • kellyanludkellyanlud Posts: 888
    If you have to start court proceedings then use this wesite

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

all info on what to put if you need help again I used

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

good luck!!!!
  • Thanks mrs Jackson 2b.. They are being very awkward but it's his money so we'll fight for it..

I turned HSBC's offer down and am hoping that I'll get a better offer this time.. Fingers crossed!

Kate x
  • sarah4johnsarah4john Posts: 161
    Quoted:
    mrsa0412 Thats a HUGE amount! Did you get it all back?
    yes got all of it back plus £240 court fees. had to put in two claims to keep them under £5000 so paid two lots of £120 court fees. now claiming from natwest and barclaycard.
  • 18vicki18vicki Posts: 217
    Halifax have started to automatically send out a letter that says they can do nothing as the charges were on your terms and conditions but if you call and threaten to take it to court they pass it on to someone else who will apparently make you an offer in up to 2 weeks, I couldn't be bothered to wait so am taking it to court but its good to know if you don't have the money for court costs to spare.

• flynns_mummyflynns_mummy Posts: 1,631
    HSBC paid up in full to me straight away. I was only reclaiming £100 though so maybe that had something to do with it... bought the bridesmaids shoes with it.

My BIL reclaimed £850 from Smile - they paid up no quibbles also. My sis and BIL are off on hols this summer with it.
  • hi all i have just started reclaiming my charges from the woolwich has anyone had much luck with them??
  • tuppenceuktuppenceuk Posts: 5,346
    just a thought on turning down settlement offers - there was a case recently where a guy had turned down an offer for close to the full amount owed (or it might have been the ful amount) and insisted on going to court - he lost - might have set a precedent??
    tuppence he lose because he hadnt prepared fully. out of the thousands that have claimed thats the only one that has been lost and if he appeals he will win. just had a letter from natwest today and they are paying 532 into my account which is my claim in full from them. so keep fighting you will get them back. couldnt have done it without www.reclaimunfaircharges.com there fantastic all the letters and spreadsheets you need are there and they dont charge any fees or ask for any contribution so have a read through the site.
  • B2BSaraB2BSara Posts: 294
    I recieved my offer from HSBC today. They are refusing to pay the interest I added on to my calculation of what I was owed but they are prepared to settle my claim for £2400. I know I could take them to court to try and get interest but I think im just going to take the money and be happy that I got back over two thousand pounds that I thought Id never see again.....basically HSBC have just bought my wedding dress.!!!!!.Tee-hee!
  • FreyjaStormFreyjaStorm Posts: 201
    I managed to get back some charges from Halifax - they charged me £60 for going £2 overdrawn. But it did take ages to get it back - I went through the Financial Ombudsman, and eventually had to threaten them with court (and saying that I could tell the entire student population of Sheffield University how I've been screwed around by them!!). I think, legally, they're not allowed to charge you more than it's cost them to 'deal with' going overdrawn and the resulting interest - i.e. they just have to stamp a piece of paper and this hardly costs hundreds of pounds.

I think a lot of people have had success by even threatening with small claims court action - maybe this would scare them into some action,

Good luck (I swear it would be easier if we all kept our money in a box under our bed!)