Forum home The wedding budget

Any bought their dress from Morgan Davies, Islington?

Hi!

I just wondered if anyone had bought their dress from this London shop? I ordered my Paloma Blanca dress from here back in September but everytime I see the shop mentioned it's for the wrong reasons! It's a lovely shop but definitely not the best bridal shop I went to, however very few shops stock this designer and I got a really good deal so went for it. My dress comes in in March and I've noticed the alterations costs seem a bit pricey (their package is £350 but I don't think I'll need a lot done so have gone for the pay-as-you-go option - but to alter the length alone is £165 for me since my dress has a 'complex skirt'!). I have been thinking about taking it elsewhere to be altered but would be grateful to hear anyone's experiences, especially with the seamstresses there.

Thanks.

xx

• MarywedsMaryweds Posts: 133
    Hm, sorry, can't help you much. I have been in and tried some dresses on and they were nice to me, but not got to the ordering stage there or anywhere yet...
  • MrsDMDaviesMrsDMDavies Posts: 1,794 New bride
    Thanks for your response. I think ladies on here have been put off the shop because it seems when you walk in you aren't really greeted by anyone, this happened to me too, I just wondered around for a while and ended up down in the staff room!! They've got gorgeous dresses though and Annalize was very nice but a bit too rushed for me. I was comparing 2 dresses in the end and when I hinted that I'd made up my mind she whisked the other one away. I think I needed this though as my search went on far too long and I was getting sick of it in the end!! And it was Annalize that found me my dress, I don't think I would have tried it if she hadn't suggested it as it looked a lot bulkier on the hanger than it did on. Just thought their alterations were pricey but perhaps it's best to leave the dress with them rather than risk going elsewhere!

xx
    Hm, I don't know, that's a tough one. I think maybe if the money's not a problem for you then I'd be inclined to go with them, as if anything went wrong they would have to be responsible. If you went elsewhere and they f****d up your dress the original shop wouldn't have to help you...

I quite liked it in there, I don't really like being made a massive fuss over and all of the traditional being-treated-like-a-princess stuff, I know it's an important purchase but I like it when people are down to earth (but still polite). Trust your instincts, I say. xx
    Thanks Maryweds, just realised you recommended me the ring place too, I'm a bit slow!!

Ye I think you're right, I would be so scared carrying the dress out the shop and just handing it to a random!

Yes overall the shop is nice, I think I just got a bit worried over nothing, I tend to over-analyse everything! I think I've been approaching the shop from the wrong end. Both times I've been I've walked past scary looking blocks of flats and wondered why on earth a bridal shop was opposite them but I'm now thinking there might be more life at the other side of the shop, since it's on a corner! Also, I got a bit freaked out when she started brushing my hair!!! She didn't warn me and all of a sudden it was happening! Did she do this to you? She put it up in a lovely bun and it made a real difference so it's quite a clever tactic. When I went the next day with one of my bms I warned her about the hair thing and when she started doing it my bm couldn't stop giggling!!

Thanks so much again for your suggestions! Hope you find your dress soon. I did most of my shopping in Scotland as that's where I'm originally from so still visit a lot but now I see some other ladies comments on here I wish I'd done more in London! Trying not to get dress envy but everytime I see my dress I know it's the one for me!

Jeez I go on a bit on my posts, sorry, well done if you made it to this point!!

xx
    I made it! Ooh, she didn't brush my hair, that does sound odd! But I always wear it scooped up anyway... Approach the shop from Upper St, you'll feel a lot better! Glad you've made a decision - I find once that's done it's best just to stop looking! Sure it's gorgeous. x
    Thanks Maryweds. I went yesterday to pick up some material I ordered and it was MUCH better!! I got off at Angel and walked down that way and the shop looks lovely! They've also now got a doorbell so someone has to come to the door to get you, much better than before!! Unfortunately we didn't have time to visit the jewellers you recommended, the tubes were a nightmare so took us ages just to get to angel! Really hoping we can go soon.

Take care.