Forum home The wedding budget

How to book a registrar?

I am new to this! How do I book a registrar? I have booked my venue for July 2012 and have been told I can not book a registrar till a year to the date but from what I have read on some of these postings it sounds asthough I might be able to make a provisional booking.

Any help please x

• Are you getting married in the same district as where you live? If so, just go on your council website and look for the phone number of the superintendent registrar. Give him/her a ring and ask to make a provisional booking! image
  • EleEle Posts: 592
    We booked the registrar 14 months before the wedding. You can't give notice until the year in which you are marrying but i don't know of any restrictions regarding the booking of the date and time.

We checked the registrar was available before booking the venue, then made a provisional booking of the registrar. I am a teacher so the date was almost more important then the venue as we wanted to get married in the Easter hols and needed a specific date to allow wedding and honeymoon in the school hols.

I'd give them a call and get it booked.
  • hi we aren't getting married untill november 2012 and we booked our registrar yesterday (day after booking venue).

She just explained that all the legal stuff won't be until a year before but you should be able to make a booking image
  • NowMrsMaggsNowMrsMaggs Posts: 1,823
    We weren't allowed to even provisionally book until a year before. Just call them up and see what they say.
  • Thanks for everybodys help image I think I will give them a call today and try get something provisionally booked, im worried Ill have a venue and nobody to marry us! x
  • cm_prcm_pr Posts: 339
    I think it depends on your local county council. Mine won't even take provisional bookings earlier than a year to date before the wedding. I worry about them being taken on my day too!!
  • We went to a Wedding Fayre and the Registrar Service actually had a table and they were giving couples booklets and details of what was required.

In our County (North England )for £50.00 (2008 to be married 2010)we provisionally book our wedding date 2 years before the date, we had to write giving our full names and dates of birth and address, we then had to go back to the registrar and meet him to book the day a year before then we went back a couple of weeks before the wedding.
  • Miss_PenguinMiss_Penguin Posts: 1,020
    We were able to provisionally book more than a year before. Call the registrar in the district where your wedding will take place and ask them.
  • Hi mrsmacca1

We booked our registrar just before christmas and we arent getting married till december 2012. You just need to contact you local district and provisinal book you can do this up 2 2year before. And then a year later you go back to give notice.

The lady I spoke to on the phone when I booked was lovely so helpful so if you have any question they are happy to help.

take care
  • JaneK2011JaneK2011 Posts: 516
    Your venue should tell you which district they are in. Ring the registrar and see if you can provisionally book your day and time. Otherwise ring or visit exactly 1 year before your wedding date to book.

Both of you need to ring the registrar local to where you live and make an appointment to 'give notice'. You can't do this more than 1 year before you wedding date.

Once you have met with your local registrars and got your license, you can send it to the venue's local registrar and formally book your ceremony.
  • Thanks for all your replies. I wish I recieved some sort of notification when you get a reply on here, I couldnt even find my thread image

I found out the venue is under Lancashire Council. I contacted them and they have confirmed I cant NOT book a registar any earlier than 12 months before my wedding date. I have to phone up 9am (when phonelines open)on 7th July 2011 and hopefully I will get the time slot I would like...1pm! I will be stressing about it until I confirm that time. They wouldnt let me provisionally book it. xx fingers crossed!!
  • i would try and book asap because if they are fully booked they may not be able to marry you
  • MrsPLMrsPL Posts: 417
    we too cannot book until 12 months before, not even a provisional (Liverpool). The lady I spoke to was very reassuring she said there won't be a problem and not to worry especially with our wedding being on a friday. I wouldn't worry just make sure you don't let it slip your mind nearer the time and ignore vintage rose - not helpful advice at all x
  • MrsMacca1 Good luck!

I'm having the same issue! I looked around on the net and came across a website for the couty i live in (Dorset)

I've sent them an email and explained I need to book a registrar I've put the deposit down on the venue for 5th Sept 2012 so I'll just have to see what happens now!
  • MrsMacca1 .. image ...UPDATE !!!!

I have just got off the phone and the registrar is booked for 5th september 2012..... WOO!!! image

They will now send out paperwork and then up to a year before the wedding date we go and give notice of marriage!! image

What a relief! image I was stressing about this! Venue booked Registrar booked!!

• Fantastic mojojobie! It must be such a relief to know its all booked....wish my local council would let me book now. They have said there is nothing I can do but call up 12 months before at 9am! Because my wedding is a Saturday and Id like a 1pm ceremony Im really worried!

Being a bride is stressful!! (but worth it all in the end of course)

Congratualtions! xx
  • Thanks MrsPLtobe. Same here the ladies at Lancashire were lovely, said they look forward to taking my call on 07-07-2011!! I have booked the day off work so I can be ready to go by the phone haha!.

I am going to give them a call closer the time just to make sure that I dont need to do anything else before I call them. Ive heard that both my boyfriend and I have to go to the local council in the area we live and give notice aswell. Do you have to do that? Is that done after you have booked the registrar? x
  • Im getting married in August 2013 and the registra has advised me o contact them in August this year to make the booking.

Think it just depends on the area you're marrying in
  • Hello, Hope you don't mind me relpying to your message, I just noticed that you said you were getting married in November 2012, So I am, I was just wondering what you have actually done so far.. We have booked the venue and provisionally booked registrar and thats it..

Thanks image
  • hey yes you have to both give notice at the registry office in the county you are living in, its similar to getting your banns read, they place your name up for people to read in the office, but you both have to be present. I am a nov 2012 Bride, and I'm all booked up with registrar and the venue, thats about it! Looking at other things and doing research on best suppliers etc,

Elizabeth583 dont worry you have over a yr n half, plenty of time, but would suggest that if u find a person etc u love for supplying things book them cos a lot of people report of things getting booked up quick! we origionally wanted a october wedding 2012 but the venue was all booked up that far in advance we went for November and we booked on 2nd of jan this yr!!!
  • I thought they should at least be able to pencil you in, seems a bit harsh making you call back a year to the day to get your time slot. I only booked mine a fortnight ago for my December do, but as it's on a weekday in winter I still had first dibs on the time. No-one else was booked in for that day! But, if that's the way they do it then you should be fine otherwise they would have a lot of angry brides (and grooms) to deal with. x
  • ;) SUPER HAPPY!

On the 070711 we contacted Lancashire Council and they gave us our provisional booking (got my 1pm wedding time no problem). Rang Liverpool the same day and got our appointment to give notice. This was done 150811. Now we need to let Lancashire have our 'blues' before Septemeber 7th.(some paperwork to prove we have given notice)

We get our paperwork on 31st Aug so we have enough time to do this. Will be even happier when we get the confirmation for the wedding time.

Confusing business getting married in a different area to where you live but it is all coming together xoxo

• Quoted:
    SUPER HAPPY! On the 070711 we contacted Lancashire Council and they gave us our provisional booking (got my 1pm wedding time no problem). Rang Liverpool the same day and got our appointment to give notice. This was done 150811. Now we need to let Lancashire have our 'blues' before Septemeber 7th.(some paperwork to prove we have given notice) We get our paperwork on 31st Aug so we have enough time to do this. Will be even happier when we get the confirmation for the wedding time. Confusing business getting married in a different area to where you live but it is all coming together xoxo

I am so glad I found your thread MrsMacca1!! I am also under Lancashire County Council and have to ring them at 9am tomorrow to get our wedding booked for 18th August 2012. I am so worried I won't be able to get through at 9am and/or that they do not have any space left for me image I am not working tomorrow so can ring bang on 9am! When you first rang them what did they do? The guy I spoke to a couple of weeks ago from LLC said they will ring me back in the order that they recieved the phone calls?! Im just confused and worried we will have a wedding venue and no Registrar!! xx