Forum home The wedding budget

Anyone else sick of saving!

We have been saving hard since last July, we have managed to save £12k and now have roughly 5k left to save before our September wedding. My budget has been strict and it has caused some arguments with h2b, but at the beginning it looked like we would have to borrow approx 3k but with me cutting down on some our monthly costs (cancelled sky, cut down food budget etc)and h2b getting a pay rise, we will hopefully be able to pay for it all without a loan. Now I am proud of how well we've done, and I'm glad we won't have to get a loan, but I just want to be able spend our money and I'm so sick of staying in and only being able to buy one new item of clothes every 3 months or so! Anyone else feeling like this? I know I haven't got long left but it is still getting to me. xxx

• WOW you have saved an incredible amount, me and hubby 2 be have been saving for a year and have 5,000 between us which needs to pay a 7,000 and a 12,000 deposit on a house before next sept. saving is never ever easy, and believe im really really sick of it too i havent bought new clothes since we started saving and everything i do is from charity to save money imagejust think you have done so well i cant beleive how much you have saved, you have a short way to go and an amazing end! xx
  • Polly27Polly27 Posts: 680 New bride
    Thanks, just feel like I'm always saving. We bought our house just over 2 years ago, so we were saving like mad then for our deposit, then moved in, and our incomes weren't as high then so didn't have must left after bills and buying new furniture etc, so at the beginning of last year we were just starting to be able to enjoy yourselves again (meals out, holiday) and he goes and proposes image ! I know I could have a smaller wedding but it's what we both want and hopefully will be worth all the sacrafices. xx
  • I'm in the same boat, looking to get married this November and were desperately saving for the house deposit and wedding. It gets so frustrating not being able to go anywhere or do anything.
  • kelmistykelmisty Posts: 860
    Me too, we almost have all of the money saved, but just had a month off from spending image
  • We are only at the start of saving, wedding Feb 2013!! (no venue booked yet)

Me & H2B are very different, I save about 1/3 of my wages every month any way, so saving for me is no big deal. He hasn't saved a penny in his life, and so far has not saved anything//

his idea of saving, is anything left in his bank account at the end of the month, is his savings! But it stays in that same account.. I've tried so many times to get him to actually put it in another account, but he wont listen!!
  • leighh5ukleighh5uk Posts: 278
    clare_jeffery my partner is exactly the same but luckily ive managed turn him around haha. we have just had our baby boy in nov and moved into new accommodation in january so we have had a bit of expense still but luckily we have till march 2013 to save, so far we have £3k and have paid deposits and picked up couple silly bits we need so hopefully we'll be fine then its deposit for a house, its never ending eh x
  • JoeyClareJoeyClare Posts: 2,737
    Completely sick of saving!! Made a big spreadsheet for all areas and then worked out what I will buy each month from now on. Should just about cover all costs (If I don't go food shopping for the next year. Joke!)

Definately looking forward to being able to do a few nice things once the saving is done though. The saving will be worth it when I get married without having to borrow any money though. image
  • NowMrsT62011NowMrsT62011 Posts: 2,580
    OMG Yes i am!! I'm not a big spender anyway and I'm careful with money but I have had to watch every penny. I hardly ever buy clothes now and a take away is such a luxury image

My h2b has never been very good with money and we agreed that i would take charge of the finances which has given me peace of mind. We have managed to save what we needed so it's worth it although it's been tough. Especially around birthdays!

Getting married in June so not much longer left image
  • NowMrsMackNowMrsMack Posts: 2,535
    ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm at uni which is an expense in itself, and trying to hold down two part time jobs, plus trying to complete a million paid online surveys just to get a little extra money! We'll also be doing a boot sale in a few weeks to try and save a bit more and H2B and I have set out a saving plan to try and put as much away as possible!

Saving is super boring though.. no spontaneous shopping trips anymore image But it'll be worth it to get what I want! image

Apart from general saving such as cutting down on unnecessary spending, has anyone got any tips for online stuff you can make money from? I've already signed up to a few survey sites which has made me about £20 so far! image
  • MrsC2B4MrsC2B4 Posts: 143
    Hi

What surveys do you do? Could do with a bit of extra cash myself!

In answer to the OP, yes I'm sick of saving and haven't really started properly yet!
  • Yes totally sick of saving! And paying the mortgage, and putting money in a pension and paying off my student loan and saving for a holiday. All my friends are always swanning about going on weekends away or going out to dinner and we can never afford to do that (well we could but it would be good bye monthly savings!). The main difference is the mortgage, out of all our friends I'm the only one that has one, the rest are either living at home or living in a shared house, which basically means their outgoings are very small compared to mine. Sometimes I just wonder why do I do it? It feels like it's pointless earning money because I can't enjoy spending any of it!
  • MrsFaulkyMrsFaulky Posts: 6,671
    In short...yes me too!! We have been "saving" since last March but it's been one thing after another to have to pay out for and it has made saving very difficult. We still have til August next year but every month when we don't save the amount we said I feel so disheartened and H2B is really really rubbish with money so that's an added pressure. Sometimes I really look forward to after the Wedding but then realise that there will always be something to save for!!
  • chezza2005chezza2005 Posts: 1,053
    US TOO!!!!!

We were only saying yesterday how we are so sick of saving for the wedding. We have been putting money aside every month now and its getting a bit annoying/tough now so we are ready for the saving to be done! We only have 2 more pay days whereby money will go into the savings for wedding so not too long left then maybe we can start enjoying the extra money we will have a little. However, we feel proud of ourselves as we will have saved just over 12k towards our wedding by the time the day arrives which is good. Dig deep girls, you know it will all be worth it in the end...

US TOO!!!!!

We were only saying yesterday how we are so sick of saving for the wedding. We have been putting money aside every month now and its getting a bit annoying/tough now so we are ready for the saving to be done! We only have 2 more pay days whereby money will go into the savings for wedding so not too long left then maybe we can start enjoying the extra money we will have a little. However, we feel proud of ourselves as we will have saved just over 12k towards our wedding by the time the day arrives which is good. Dig deep girls, you know it will all be worth it in the end...

US TOO!!!!!

We were only saying yesterday how we are so sick of saving for the wedding now. We have been putting money aside every month now and its getting a bit annoying/tough now so we are ready for the saving to be done! We only have 2 more pay days whereby money will go into the savings for wedding so not too long left then maybe we can start enjoying the extra money we will have a little. However, we feel proud of ourselves as we will have saved just over 12k towards our wedding by the time the day arrives which is good. Dig deep girls, you know it will all be worth it in the end...

• I'm just thinking about how nice it will be to finally be able to randomly have a takeaway without worrying about money, or being able to go to the cinema again or go on days out together. This wedding is taking every spare penny at the minute! image
  • KatyOTooleKatyOToole Posts: 21
    Same here! I'm looking forward to the September when we are back off our honeymoon I have money to spend again. Scrimping and saving is dull!!!!
  • GattinaRosaGattinaRosa Posts: 822
    This might sound silly.... but I actually enjoy the saving!!!! I've never really been one to spend much money on myself and have always been a saver.

But I love watching the numbers in my account go up - and I love putting my money into a wedding fund pot of dreams and guessing how much Im going to have in there when I finally crack it open in a couple of years!

Maybe Im just a bit weird though =D
    i dont think thats weird, my partners sayd im a scrooge but i actually think we live quite well!! although we save we still have takeaway/dinner out maybe once a fortnight and get litle luxuries in the shopping but i feel sad when i have to pay a deposit haha x
  • tilly2011tilly2011 Posts: 22
    I hate saving! My fiancee is an accountant so has spreadsheets and things and keeps track of whats in each of our savings accounts. Before we got engaged, I had no savings and just wasted my wages each month, so feel pretty pleased with myself that now I put three quarters of my wage going into the saving fund each month.

We were doing well, having saved enough to pay off the wedding and honeymoon. But then we went and bought a house which needs total renovation, so after the wedding I've been told we can save the same amount each month we're doing now to pay for that!

I dream of the days I can go to the cinema without weighing up the effects it will have on my wedding fund.

• MrsCarter2beMrsCarter2be Posts: 432
    Absolutly, Ive only been able to put £200 per month away, OH has been saving like mad too but with a large mortgage on a small 1 bed house its really peeving me off. Im not as strict as you though and this has seen my overdraft go through the roof so that will need to be paid back too, but will only take a few months then it will be cleared. I recon by Feb next year I will be debt free again, Christmas will be cancelled though and only token gifts given!

I feel I am about to have a massive spending spree after the debts cleared just to get it out our system! then back to saving again for double glazing about £3k, then the kitchen will need doing desperately - the oven doesnt work properly. It does get me down quite a bit although the OH seems ok about saving but he's never been a great spender!

Mxxx
    theres always one thing after another to save for if its not a wedding theres baby, house, car etc etc x
  • kellyb1982kellyb1982 Posts: 157
    This made me giggle. Completely sums it up for me!

We have been saving for 2 years now! Roll on July! Can't wait to go out and treat myself instead of worrying about whether I should be putting it towards the cars or the cake or the chairs etc etc etc!

• Mr Lee's GalMr Lee's Gal Posts: 283
    I used to have a great time spending my wages on stuff I didn't really need (or use, most of the time) and I never had any savings put aside for a rainy day image. However, now I've got something big to focus my spare cash on I'm finding it so much easier and actually quite good fun. I genuinely don't begrudge saving for our wedding because it means we can hopefully do the things we want image
  • MezCMezC Posts: 563
    I don't mind it too much... I like seeing my money go towards the future. I've always been one for saving my money to spend on a holiday than spending hundreds through the year on clothes and stuff.

I have felt that saving for the wedding has been doable but having a house deposit feels a long way off!
  • Sick isn't the word!!

We are both in full time employment, yet our pockets have been bone dry since Jan 2010! It has subsequently paid off as we have not had to borrow money, but I have so missed clothes shopping, sneaky take aways and the odd random splurge on the latest gadget!

Last winter I couldn't buy a new coat and wore my old winter jacket with bottomless pockets, my bobbly winter hat and my worn out tatty suede boots, they were literally killed off in the snow! I am hoping this winter will be different! image

I totally feel you on this one!

xx
  • scrummie2bscrummie2b Posts: 266
    Totally sick of saving! But at the moment we are saving for our wedding and also a deposit on a house, which is the most frustrating part as houses prices in our area are obscene which means a very high deposit. Wedding nearly paid though so should have more to save towards house. We are renting a crappy small flat to enable us to save, so can't wait to get a nice place of our own and have nice things! xx
  • i'm loving saving! seeing the balance going up feels great! not had a holiday for a few years though, so missing those. always thought i was cr*p at saving, but it's amazing what i can do when i puy my mind to it!
  • VicshornsVicshorns Posts: 173
    I am also so sick of savings we had quite good savings cue unplanned baby and a new gearbox for a car and we had none left. We have been saving like mad since we got engaged. As it is i think we are only going to be £500 over which we will pay off in January (we save £500 a month).

ON a positive note all this savings money has really made me realsie how much I have wasted over the years, i'm not saying I am going ot be as frugal as I am now but I have definately adopted ways that will stay with me forever!
  • I am ow working longer hours at work so can save even more, working 7.30am - 6pm most days now!

Every pennie counts.

As I want a really good honeymoon and wedding, as we wont have had a holiday for 2 years when we get married.

Well we are going camping for a week in August with my family, and next summer we are going on a canal boat for a week with friends, but not a big holiday just us too since Florida Feb 2011 when we go engaged!