Forum home The wedding budget

Brides with a venue under £5,000

2»

• MrsCloMrsClo Posts: 637
    Sandhole Oak barn is a stunning(!) venue and for us it was less even in prime time! And you get a LOT for it (exclusivity being the main attraction imo). Barns don't charge VAT typically, something about their venue type.
  • Hazel85Hazel85 Posts: 374
    We had a country pub with a "green room" attached for receptions, thatched, gorgeous and under £2000! Good luck with your search, they are out there! image
  • Our venue is coming in at just over £5,300, but for that we're getting our service, 2 glasses cava & 3 course wedding breakfast for 120 guests with 3 bottles of wine on each table, plus glass of cava for 80 evening guests, disco and evening buffet.

Things that helped the budget - drinks packages work out expensive - pay for 2-3 bottles of wine on each table and if having sparkling wine for toast, then buy per bottle, our co-ordinator says for the toasts, you would easily get 7 glasses per bottle.This saved us hundreds!

Hope everything works out for you!

Scrumsh
  • thenextmrscthenextmrsc Posts: 409
    Thanks everyone- Nat and Ben I will check out Carlyon Bay!

xx
  • Our venue was meant to be £5600 but we got it for £3350 as we complained about the Jan-March package and they have given us it at the off peak package cost. On a saturday, 80 daytime and 180 evening, it used to be a university building i think.

Package is:

All Day Room Hire (Including Civil Ceremony)

One Luxury Wedding Car

Red Carpet on Arrival (Pending Weather Conditions)

Reception Drink x80

Floral Table Centre Pieces (Based on 9 Tables including Top Table)

Chair Covers & Sash for Daytime Guests x80

Three Course Wedding Breakfast x80

Master of Ceremonies

Toast Drinks

Cake Stand & Knife

Evening Finger Buffet x100

Evening Decorations (Balloon Package based on 15 Tables)

Disco

Barter with everyone and you will soon see the costs coming down image Good luck.
  • NowMrsMacNowMrsMac Posts: 57
    We're getting married in a church but having the reception at a private school - although a lot of them have rooms in which you can have the ceremony as well. Ours is costing £1000 to hire and then approx £25 a head...get to choose our own menu and have complete control over EVERYTHING...no one breathing down your neck or just giving you a couple of options - it's ours for the day and we can do what we like with it. It looks like a stately home, and has a beautiful gallery and staircase, as well as a ball room and library...and a large terrace with views over the south downs...CAN'T WAIT!!
  • Bethaniee1Bethaniee1 Posts: 73
    I know I mentioned it in your other thread, but...

I'm getting married at Roadford Lake, which is near Launceston. I'm paying £350 to hire for the whole day (ceremony, reception and evening do) and then around £25 per person for a 3 course meal. Their buffets start at £8.85 per person and drinks are reasonable.

All together I've estimated around £2200, for hire for the day, 3 course meal for 40 people, evening buffet for 60, drinks reception for 40, a bottle of wine on each table and sparkling wine for toasting. The setting is just beautiful as well... perfect image
  • thenextmrscthenextmrsc Posts: 409
    thank you so much everyone - bethaniee - thank you so much for your suggestion - I promise I will check it out!

xx
  • Vee2Vee2 Posts: 424
    I got married at the Cadbury House Hotel in Congresbury, North Somerset. The venue - for 36 people in the day and 70 at night - was £1500 for the day and another £1000 for the evening do. This included the food, welcome drink, toast and one glass of wine in the day, room flowers, evening buffet and dj etc. I think the ceremony room cost another £150. This was on a Saturday. It would be more for 60, but I'm not sure how much more.

Also it's worth keeping an eye on Groupon as they occasionally have wedding package deals.
  • nina874nina874 Posts: 44
    Tregenna Castle! My friend runs it and they do a package that works out at about £50 per head for the sit down meal, drink for the toast, welcome drink, wine with meal and buffet at night. It is in St Ives and the location is beautiful.

Here is a link to their packages page.
  • nina874nina874 Posts: 44
    Doh!! Helps if you post the link........

http://www.tregenna-castle.co.uk/wedding-package/
  • SteampunkbrideSteampunkbride Posts: 1,748
    My venue is Plas Maenan in Snowdonia. It's 5* and hire for exclusive use is £500, including drinks and catering it's about 4k.
  • HL2010HL2010 Posts: 195
    Hi, I'm getting married in a really funky restuarant called Riverstation its a beautiful building overlooking Bristol harbour. We only paid £200 for ceremony fee and £1800 min spend so NO hire charges, all food and drink etc go towards the minimum spend, we get the place to ourselves but are marrying on a tuesday.
  • Wow you ladies have all got some brilliant deals! I feel our venue is well expensive now..

my suggestions were going to be.. maybe Friday/Sunday or even weekday weddings, out of peak season's so Jan-March then Oct & Nov!! always cheaper.

Do you need or want to have a sit down dinner, or would you maybe consider a hot buffet!