Is anyone doing their own flowers?

Hi ladies!

I'm trying to cut costs on dispensibles for our wedding (ie anything that will get chucked in the bin at the end of the day!)and am consdiering doing my own flowers for the church and reception venue. Has anyone done this? What did you do? Where did you get everything from and how did you do it? I'll still get my bouquet and my (6!) bridesmaids' bouquets from the florist as these would be just too hard to make. Our reception is a very rustic French hotel so was thinking of simple roses in antique-y vases and lots of candles.... must work out much cheaper than the £60 per table arrangement i've been quoted from a family friend who is supposedly doing me a good deal....xx

• MrsR4evaMrsR4eva Posts: 1,246
    HOW MUCH ????????????????/ LET ME DO IT FOR YOU FOR HALF THAT !! ... I did all my own table arrangements and the top table , i bought some old rustic watering cans bought fowm oasis to put in the bottom and filled them with tulips and gyspphillia .. easy peasy

we had a rustic wedding in a windmill
  • barbie_86barbie_86 Posts: 626
    I'm doing my own for the reception. I'm getting vases (probably fish bowl ones), then ordering flowers from a local market stall (their flowers are very reasonably, but good quality). I'm going to get fairly plain ones as my venue is fussy; probably bright pink gerberas, or simple cream roses (which I'll stick a pearl on a pin through if I go for those). Then, I'll just pop them in the vases. Fresh flowers ie in water are easiest to do; I wouldn't even attempt a proper arrangement as you need to be sure of the quality of the flowers, and be pretty good at doing them to avoid them drooping after a couple of hours.

The vases will probably cost about £3 each, and I think the flowers will probably cost maybe £15 for each table; so, £18 per table, and it'll take all of 5 minutes to do each vase, so not time consuming or stressful.

Also, you can get flowers from M&S, Waitrose, Next etc: they start at approx £25 and would be ready to go; here's a link to M&S's range (some include the vases, some don't):

http://www.marksandspencer.com/All-Bouquets-Flowers-Plants-Flowers-Gifts/b/48294031
  • I am thinkin image g about doing my own flowers as I don't have a big budget. As I'm having a winter wedding I'm a bit worried about what to have. I was thinking about using Christmas baubles in glass bowls as my centre pieces for the tables instead of flowers and then making some garlands out of evergreen foliage to hang off the fireplace in the wedding reception room. They will have the real fire going which will add to the feel.
  • dee2ukdee2uk Posts: 635
    christmas baubles sound like a wonderful idea. image
  • MrsPLMrsPL Posts: 417
    Hey - I am doing our flowers image our venue provides flowers for the table and ceremony but i'll be doing mine and the maids bouquets as we just want fairly simply white/cream bouquets with lavender and tied with some pretty ribbon. think it will save a packet so you should definitely go for it! Were doing button holes too - so simple you can get the bits needed to pin and keep them together in most florists so defo worth doing yourselves! xxx
  • i'm doing my own flowers. I am using foam flowers though x
  • mojojobiemojojobie Posts: 733
    Feb_bride2012 - where are you getting the foam flowers from?
  • I love the idea of the baubles in a fish bowl or glass vase - great idea.

I'm doing my own centrepieces, our venue is really fussy as a previous poster said, so we are having plain glass vases and stuffing full of a mixture of whatever is cream/white and in season - we have a great local flower market which sells to the local florists, and going to go there the day before to get sorted.
  • Quoted:
    Feb_bride2012 - where are you getting the foam flowers from?

I got them from e-bay (sarahrichards was the seller) but they sell them in hobby craft (ebay was cheaper though.) my bouquets look like:

Sorry about pic size - not sure how to make smaller!!
  • I'm getting married 06.08.11 next saturday! I have purchased 2 large rosebud trees which i have put pearl pins in the centre of each rose. I have 2 white flower love hearts which i stuck pearls on, I have made a simple silk white/pink/green rose & white dhaila flower arrangement with glass beads in as water for the ceremony Buttonholes and coursages in cream and pink for the wedding party out of felt (Love hobbycraft)and simple flowers in pink/green and pink for the reception myself at a cost of £100 all in. My 3 adult bridesmaids flowers will have silk hot pink rose hand tied bouquets from ebay they cost £35 each, (I put pearl & dimante pins in each bud)3 hot pink gerberra wands for my 3 flowergirls with ribbons and a silver butterfly on each cost aprox £4 each, and my bouquet will be from one of the top florists in Nottingham at £110 vintage roses which have pink and green veins on and smell divine. Spent around £350.00 altogether by doing the majority but not everything myself. Florist originally wanted £900 so my way was so much better for me.
  • mojojobiemojojobie Posts: 733
    Brilliant! thanks I'll have a look. image
  • Feb_bride2012 - Did you put those colours together after buying them seperately, or can you get boquets in mixed colours? Can they send you samples? Thanks Lizzy x
  • Quoted:
    Feb_bride2012 - Did you put those colours together after buying them seperately, or can you get boquets in mixed colours? Can they send you samples? Thanks Lizzy x

I put them together myself hun - I bought a box of 72 ivory roses and a box of 36 blue roses and watched a few youtube videos ... xx
  • she won't send samples out but her prices are cheap enough to buy one I think xx
  • I love your pomander hun xx
  • I saw a bouquet that was shaped like a handbag and I fell in love. I doubt I'll be able to do it myself and I can see £ signs in the eyes of a florist if I ask image I'm considering not having flowers H2B is worried his hayfever will make it look like he is crying image
  • susanluosusanluo Posts: 32
    i'm doing my own flowers.I have made a simple silk white/green rose & white dhaila flower arrangement with glass beads.
  • Quoted:
    I am thinkin g about doing my own flowers as I don't have a big budget. As I'm having a winter wedding I'm a bit worried about what to have. I was thinking about using Christmas baubles in glass bowls as my centre pieces for the tables instead of flowers and then making some garlands out of evergreen foliage to hang off the fireplace in the wedding reception room. They will have the real fire going which will add to the feel.

That sounds like a great idea. What are your colours.

My sisters friend got married a few years ago in December and she had red, she had gold fish bowls as her centrepieces and filled them with red, green and White twinkle lights, just battery operated 1s that u would use at Xmas time. It was absolutely gorgeous. She got them from ikea for a pound a pack at the run up 2 Xmas. X
  • I am doing my own flowers, I am ordering them all from www.flowers4florists.com I found the web site in the wedding flowers magazine and all the flowers were reasonable prices, MUCH cheaper than the quote I got from the florist for arrangements which I have tosay seemed quite a way away from what I actually wanted! I have mocked one up with fake flowers from dunelms so I am happy I can actually do it. I like the bauble idea, I thought ofsomething similar to fill my vases, it was between baubles and sprayed pinecones, havent decided yet but the pine cones will give me a chance to send the children collecting so they think they have contributed!
  • I am doing my own flowers now, I am having a brooch bouquet and my maids will get a wrist corsage, the same I will make for our two mums.

We are having vintage birdcages as centrepieces so didnt need much flowers anyway, I got some rose garlands from another bride on here and will decorate them with that, some tealights and papercut outs of hearts.
  • thanks shellz. Your flower's look amazing and I have plenty time to experiment - will post pics of all myt efforts image
  • susanluosusanluo Posts: 32
    I will do my flowers by myself.
  • I am doing all of my flowers - i spent £300 in a shop that is in Glasgow and from them i am making all my centerpieces, my bouquet and my 5 bridesmaids and the button holes for the men, they are foam flowers as my bm's all want to keep them image xx
  • I've just bought some buttonhole of a seller on Ebay they haven't come yet just hope they look as good as they do on the picture.

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss220/mannequinmaude/025-2.jpg

Does the best man and groom have a different coloured flower to everyone else?

I'm doing my our flowers hoping to do them fresh the day before but not sure if i will have time.
  • I made a sample one tonight. The pics really don't do it justice image

• We have grown our own flowers which I hope keep blossoming for the next 2 weeks! A florist friend is making the bouquets and buttonholes for free so we are spending about £50 on flowers for those. MIL is making the displays and filling jugs for tables with everything we grow and has a flair for making them look good!

Cost about £30 in seeds and I have bought jugs from ebay which I'll sell afterwards or keep. It fits in well with our country garden style theme and has been a lot more fun

I'll know in 2 weeks whether this is possible! Any top ups will come from supermarket roses, which we don't think we'll need at the moment....
  • I'm planning on ordering from here. She seems very reasonable. Flowers look lovely and she has excellent feedback xxx.http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sues-Wedding-Flowers-of-York?_rdc=1