Forum home The wedding budget

£18000 the new average price for a wedding in the UK

I have read that the average wedding in the uk now costs £18000 which seems very expensive. The Guardian recently put the figure at £21k although both these prices include a honeymoon.

Is this a figure people would agree with or are you organising your wedding for less?

• We're paying 16.5k inc honeymoon for 90 wedding breakfast and 150 evening reception..i've even cut corners on some things like stationary, table decorations, menu's, candles, order of service and table plan..all of which i'm making myself so I guess if I went to shops for all these mine would be 'average' image
  • clarabella31clarabella31 Posts: 208
    Ours will (I hope!) come out around £14-15,000, but that doesn't include the honeymoon. That's for a civil ceremomony with a sit down meal for 80 , with an extra 40 coming in the evening. Were doing Pimms/prosecco and canapes after the ceremony, wine provided on table but then a pay bar afterwards. Oh, and a ceilidh in the evening. Were making our own invites, table plans, etc. Our main cost is the venue, which is not cheap, but it will hopefully be worth it and the food is amazing and so yummy. Luckily for us, both sets of parents are contributing £5000 each, and we'll foot the remaining £4-5000 ourselves - which isn't too bad. If we didn't have such amazing, generous parents, I think it would be a lot smaller and cheaper! Claire x
  • NowMrsMackNowMrsMack Posts: 2,535
    Its probably average but way more than we're prepared to pay! We're looking at an absolute max of £10k, with hopefully it coming in more around £6-8k.

I'm diy-ing anything and everything possible to keep costs down! It just wouldn't be possible for us to raise that kind of money on our budget whilst buying a house together too, but we both know we'll have the most perfect day ever!

Edited to say were having approx 60 people to the day and a further 90 ish to the evening (150 in total)
  • MissJ84MissJ84 Posts: 272
    80 in the day and 90 in the nite, currently comingin at 11k not including honeymoon...not sure how we're actually going to pay for that bit yet! lol ah well got 11 months to work that bit out! lol image x
  • Ours is probably going to be around £18k, but hopefully that includes the honeymoon. I originally wanted to spend no more than £10k including the honeymoon, but we have 100 for the day and a possible extra 100 for the evening so my original budget wasn't going to go too far. I also fell in love with a venue that was more expensive than what we planned but I wasn't willing to compromise on that.

I will be making my own save the dates, invites, table plans, place cards, etc to keep some costs down! My lovely parents have offered to buy my cake and my dress though which is a huge help!
  • FinallyMrsCFinallyMrsC Posts: 194
    Ours has come in at £6,000 (not including honeymoon) We are having 65 max to the whole thing so I don't think this is too bad. I saved on my dress (£200 - bargain) and made invitations etc to keep costs down but they certainly can creep up - mention the word 'wedding' and everything doubles in price image
  • JoeyClareJoeyClare Posts: 2,737
    Ours will be around £12-13k. Originally it was going to be around £5k! Eek. Having seen the cost of things for weddings, I think I could easily spend £30k (if I had it!)
  • singo44singo44 Posts: 3,420
    Inc honeymoon (which is £6k) ours is £19.000 eeeeekkkkkkk!!!

And I've haggled on everything!!!
  • mrsjenny2012mrsjenny2012 Posts: 258
    Ours is working out to be around £5-5.5k. We're paying for everything ourselves so couldn't afford anymore really.

We're having 23-24 guests with an exclusive hire venue and a lovely sit down meal. Just what we wanted really.

The 5k includes everything from invites, the grooms suit, dress drinks, our hotel stay for our wedding night...

The only thing it doesnt include is a honeymoon. We spoke about leaving it til later in the year so we can save again and eventually decided to combine it with our 1st anniversary. it'll will be a luxury trip to Niagara Falls (where we got engaged) and New York image
  • SarahR2bCSarahR2bC Posts: 257
    Ours will probably be around £21K eeek and that's not with the honeymoon! We can pay pay for this ourselves but my parents have helped us out a bit! I wouldn't have thought this was the average though as most of my friends have done it for cheaper!
  • minkymoolouminkymoolou Posts: 924
    We are not having a honeymoon till next year, but are spending 1st night at venue and then following 2 nights in London.

Our budget is around about £5000 - so Definately under the average! We are achieving this by partly getting married on a Thursday in December and I'm also making a lot of bits.

Am quite pleased with this, as venue is a 4* hotel, which is part of a posh country estate, 4 course wedding breakfast for 35, evening buffet for 90, wine for tables, registrar, cake (buying one and decorating it myself) flowers, decorations, DJ, photographer, tiara, veil, shoes, rings, bridesmaids dresses, all invites etc.

We are still way under budget at mo, and only have a few more things to get - tho I've still got to make loads!
  • mummydcmummydc Posts: 199
    wow i cant believe that. Me and my fiance are young (ish) 22 and 24, and Im still at uni and we have two little children and just living off one wage (and m student loan) so our budget is approx. 5 - 5 1/2 grand. For this I am getting :

1) reception in gorgeous place with buffet for 100

2) venue dressing including chair covers, bows, table centre pieces, swags and bows ect. plus pew ends in church

3) flowers

4) classic cars

5) dress (obv) and suit for groom

6) DJ

7) string quartet

8) photographer all day incl bridal preps

9) church and choir

probably more but i cnt remember. The only things im not bying is bridesmaids dresses, as they offered to pay with us being on a budget, and wedding rings which we are going to pay off monthly.

Looking at this im actually proud we are acdhieving all this for this budget!! xxxx
  • MrsDMDaviesMrsDMDavies Posts: 1,794 New bride
    I think it is the average - but it will include absolutely everything. Many people don't include everything in their budget so never really know the real amount. I carefully added up everything as we went along - even things like stamps for the invites etc and ours was £35k (including honeymoon and engagement ring which people often don't include). image
  • Snowy xSnowy x Posts: 1,100
    Ours ( vow renewal )is currently looking like approx 28/30k without honeymoon... this also doesnt include anything for BM's as undecided if Im having any... If I do, it would be 8 so can notch up another few grand there! lol Doesnt include engagement ring, as we are already married, and this is based on my rough estimates, not had any final bills in yet!
  • MrsHagan2BMrsHagan2B Posts: 116
    Ours will be about that but that doesnt include honeymoon or engagement ring (which some budgets do...) Scary!
  • Ours was £21k including honeymoon. 80 people for the day and 140 for the evening. Could have easily spent another £5k as I did feel like I saved on some things, Splurged on my dress though!
  • Probably about right...ours for a midweek 30daytime 80evening wedding not including enagement rings and honeymoon is about £15000. With no help from parents unfortunately lol. I think the thing is with weddings they are entirely personal, people have different tastes and it doesn't matter how little or much you spend as long as your wedding is special to both of you.
  • lozzie30lozzie30 Posts: 45
    Hi,

A realistic final figure for mine is £21K. This doesn't include my engagement ring or our honeymoon (we're waiting until next year) but includes absolutely everything else.

I am so confident with all my suppliers, I truly believe that I've got the best of the best of the best working on my day for this price.

Hope this helps and happy saving! When spending time comes, it's brilliant image !!!

L x
  • I can see how people could end up spending that as things are so overpriced. There's no way we will spend that, if we had that kind of money we'd use it as a down payment on a house!
  • barbie_86barbie_86 Posts: 626
    I think ours is going to be about £22-23k all in (ie inc honeymoon, rings, etc etc). I had no intention of spending that and was shocked when I added everything up; we're only have 44 day guests and an extra 40-50 evening guests so that's quite a lot image I don't really like counting the honeymoon though because we go on holiday anyway so to me it doesn't really count; likewise I don't really count the rings as they last forever so it's not like other stuff which is just for the day.

I can see £18k being average though as weddings don't come cheap I've discovered..
  • Mrs OwenMrs Owen Posts: 99
    Our budget is £5500. This is for a sit down dinner for 35 and an evening reception for 150! My parents are buying my dress and my (to be) Mother in Law is buying my (to be) husbands kilt. We are doing alot ourselves and using the experts around us; my Grandma is an amazing baker so she is making our cake (which is also her present to us), my Bridesmaid's Mum went to the Glasgow School of Art, so she is helping us make all our wedding stationery.

It is proving difficult to get wedding suppliers to come into our budget (what is with the price of wedding photographers?!?!) But my H2B is great at negotiating, so Im sure we will get there.

For us our wedding is not just about the day, its the about the rest of our lives together, so money isn't the driving force for us.
  • Mrs OwenMrs Owen Posts: 99
    Quoted:
    wow i cant believe that. Me and my fiance are young (ish) 22 and 24, and Im still at uni and we have two little children and just living off one wage (and m student loan) so our budget is approx. 5 - 5 1/2 grand. For this I am getting :

1) reception in gorgeous place with buffet for 100

2) venue dressing including chair covers, bows, table centre pieces, swags and bows ect. plus pew ends in church

3) flowers

4) classic cars

5) dress (obv) and suit for groom

6) DJ

7) string quartet

photographer all day incl bridal preps

9) church and choir

probably more but i cnt remember. The only things im not bying is bridesmaids dresses, as they offered to pay with us being on a budget, and wedding rings which we are going to pay off monthly.

Looking at this im actually proud we are acdhieving all this for this budget!! xxxx

Please tell me how you much your photographer was and how you got this on budget?!?! Its stressing me out!! image
  • BabsMelonBabsMelon Posts: 983
    Our wedding will come in at £8,500. We budgeted 10K though. I'm not including honeymoon in that because H2B and I would be going on holiday anyway whether we got married or not. xxx
  • MrsGenn2BMrsGenn2B Posts: 240
    I reckon this is about right, if you bought pretty much everything and didnt DIY anything or very little.

It probably includes E ring and honeymoon as others have said.

Im guessing its also the national average and having spoken to friends who have gotten married all over the UK, prices seem to really vary depending on which part of the country you are in. Also some people seem to have really really lavish weddings (seen quite a few in wedding mags) so even if you count a handful of those its going to push the average up.

Im only just starting but I can see how easy it would be to spend at least 20-30k!! image
  • warberrywarberry Posts: 431
    Just totted mine up... looks like it'll be around £16,000 including honeymoon and my engagement ring. I originally meant to do it for more like £11-12k, and I'm normally really strict with money... but somehow the wedding seems to have knocked a bit of fiscal sense out of me, I think. image Hopefully I'll look back afterwards and be glad I've spent what I have in order to get the day I really wanted - plus a lot of the stuff I've bought I will (hopefully) be able to sell on, so I might make a bit of that money back. Eeek! image
  • icklekidicklekid Posts: 732
    I think it prob is average as whilst lots will spend less it is about what we spent and we could easily have spent a lot more. Were making own invites, cake and photographer being done by friends!
  • NowMrsT62011NowMrsT62011 Posts: 2,580
    I think £18K is a lot and I'm surprised that's the true average. Our's was 8K and our honeymoon is an extra £2K. We would not have wanted/or been able to pay any more. We married in a church had a reception for 90 adults, another 70 or so in the evening in a country manor type venue, with stunning grounds and basically had everything we wanted on the day so all good image

We both said after the wedding that it would have been a complete downer after a lovely day if we had been left with a huge debt to pay. I don't think it's worth it myself.
  • MaylanMaylan Posts: 9,604
    Oh God, no!

Not even close! That's a ridiculous figure image
  • Maria1985xMaria1985x Posts: 195
    Our wedding will cost us approximately £9000 but that doesn't include my engagement ring and honeymoon. Honeymoon is going cost another £5000!

We'll be having 70 - 80 guests.
  • I am really happy, I have managed to some in around £3,600!

we have invited 105 guests to both ceremony and reception. We are having a country garden theme with lots of pinks/greens and floral decs. Our costs include:

Free church

Free reception hall

tablecloths borrowed

hired tables, chair covers/swags & a 1930's beamer in champagne

A wedding photographer

a videographer

own classical cd for ceremony

own cd for reception

gorgeous buffet with english/west indian/indian food

a desert buffet

4 tier wedding cake

flowers for me and my 3 adult bridesmaids

flower wands for my 3 flower girls

Alfred Angelo bridemaid dresses with primark cardigans and pearl accessories

bonny bridal gown & pearl accessories for me

tesco flower girl dresses with monsoon shoes & BHS cardi's

tailored new suit, waistcoat, tie and shoes for hubby 2 b

groomsmen in wedding party are providing their own suits but we got them matching ties and waistcoats

made all invitations, table numbers, ceremony flowers/pew bows and reception flowers/decorations myself.

I am a student nurse, but was a chef in a previous life lol so I am doing my own buffet with the help of some ladies from my local church! It can be done ladies, especially if you are on a budget and what a vintage inspired look! Have sourced odd teacups from charity shops etc... our wedding will be sat 6th aug 2011 the final price also includes the wedding night in a 4 star hotel in Nottingham and a 4 day break in Wales in a 4 star hotel...my Father in Law to be is treating us to a honeymoon next year when I qualify xx