Forum home The wedding budget

Photographer cost

hi all!!

Hoping you can help me, ive contacted a couple of different photographers (getting married in italy next year) to get some quotes, but have no idea if they're cheap or expensive... How much - if you dont mind me asking - are you girls paying for photogtapher and whats included?

Thanks alot

Xxxxxx

• You firstly need to indicate if you are looking for a UK photographer who travels, or a Italian photographer

Next up you need to compare apples to apples. Example I cover all day form start to finish - that can be a 14 hour day. Others have a time limit of say 8 hours. I edit all of the images, some supply you a select 200. And then there are albums and other products - these are like cars - you can buy budget, or expensive, big or small
  • £995

Pre-booking or pre-ceremony meeting

Two photographers for 7 hours

Multi venue attendance

Unlimited photographs taken

Next day web gallery, password optional

Web gallery is online for 12 months

All images (full res) on copyright free DVD

All images (low res) on copyright free DVD

12x12 h/b Storybook - photo paper pages

200 pics for album - full design approval

2x (6x4) mini albums with 60 pics in each

50 (9x6)s to frame or make an album

They charge a flat fee of £600 for both photographers to travel abroad for a wedding - hotel, car, flights, meals etc, my friends having them for their wedding in Spain next year.
  • ^^^^ For that next day web gallery I take it they are unedited images straight out of the camera? ^^^^

What happens if they have a wedding the next day, do you still get the gallery up on time?
  • ashpo85ashpo85 Posts: 48
    2 photographers from preparations through to speeches. A high res disc with copyright free images. All images printed out in 6x4 and 3 dvds of the images for £700. They were originally asking £950 and npt covering the speeches but cause it's a Monday wedding I was able to get the price down. A lot of other photographers were looking at £700 up to around £1300 for one photographer and a disc package and others were looking for a lot less but their work wasn't as good.
  • A WORD OF WARNING..

I was chatting to a friend of mine who happened to know a very experienced wedding photographer.

The word seems to be, be very careful with cheaper photographers, they are cheap for a reason

and although it isn't always true you do seem to generally get what you pay for!!

Maybe expensive photographers can charge more simply because they simply do a better job and can be more creative.

Also be wary of those offering copyright free, it isn't simply a matter of signing a form

True copyright involves the attendance of a solicitor and costs a fair amount.

Check that the photographer is telling the whole truth in his bid to get your money..

Sorry if this sounds over cautious but apart from the lovely memories the photo's are there forever, why compromise on this of all things
  • Quoted:

True copyright involves the attendance of a solicitor and costs a fair amount.

Check that the photographer is telling the whole truth in his bid to get your money..

Baloney

Copyright automatically belongs to the person who took the photo (or their employer in some contractual circumstances)

99.99% of photographers will not release copyright. In the wedding industry they will likely release a limited right to print for personal non-commercial usage

The 0.01% of photographers who give away copyright, either know the B&G personally, or do not understand copyright

Copyright is very complex. You have all sorts of issues as a wedding photographer to deal with, including accidental inclusion of artworks & trade names, model release, to name but a few

If the photographer hands over copyright, they would need to seek permission to hold backups, originals, and send files to printers etc...

This is exactly why wedding photographers essentially grant usage by licence. As essentially, they control the copyright, and you as a customer get the images and a fair usage of them. There is nothing hard to understand here. Having a disk full of images doesn't mean you have "copyright" or any thing else. Generally photographers pop a text file on the disk explaining the limitations of usage. generally speaking, these limits are exactly what a Bride and Groom are desiring

There are a whole bunch of legal scenario's you need to cover off as a wedding photographer, and copyright is one of them. What is the photographer to do if your bridesmaids mother decides that all images of her child are to be deleted? or if some pop-star turns up at your wedding and then decides they want to control usage of the images. That could potentially stick a massive void in a set of images. That's what contracts are for - to deal with these scenario's
  • Quoted:
    ^^^^ For that next day web gallery I take it they are unedited images straight out of the camera? ^^^^

What happens if they have a wedding the next day, do you still get the gallery up on time?

I totally agree with you Chris... It is a shame some equate fast turnaround and speed with good and quality. If a photographer takes 1000 images, then just simply getting them on the MAC/PC, importing them, looking at them and deciding what stays and what goes is a job that takes a few hours... And that's before any fine edits are done on the individual files

In terms of shooting wedding photographs - I work so hard on the day, I am too shattered on the day after to do any editing at all. All I do when I get back home or to my hotel room is make the on and off site backups, confirm them, and then have a well deserved day off
  • Perhaps if you did a little home work you would find that a good majority of photographers

who sell their DVD'S are quite up for selling their copyright, copyright free DVD, is almost a buzz word!

If you feel that only 0.01 percent stipulate that they will sell the copyright you are simply on another planet! its more like 30%+

What I am TRYING to say is that photographers who DO actually say that they will sell copyright often do not go about it in the correct way.

You cannot simply produce a letter saying I assign copyright to Mrs X simply because in a court of law it would not stand up.

Hence if a couple wish to buy a DVD with copy then a solicitor is required.
  • Here is some homework for you

http://www.lr.mdx.ac.uk/copyright/index.htm

Up to the point where a written agreement is in place, copyright remains with the photographer. Like most forms of media, the written agreement usually states images are licensed, with a description and terms of usage

Any professional photographer that understands the issues will be very reluctant to pass on copyright for all of the issues I mentioned in my previous post. Any photographer who doesn't understand the issues, to be frank should not be working commercially

I produce a file on my disks that explains usage in clear and plain English. Additionally my contract also defines it. It's pretty simple stuff, no solicitors have ever needed to be involved with it. It also has to be said that while a few couples have questioned the terminology, once the motives and details are explained, they are more than happy with a disk with a "licence to print"

You are correct in saying that the buyer should beware if the word copyright is bounded about at the point of sale. Really all B&G would need to do is clarify what is actually being given

I personally know about 200 photographers, and about another 200 that I know in a cursory sense, and I don't know any of them who advertise that they give you copyright, nor give it. I only know of one case in the last few years where a photographer is giving copyright away (to a lady on this forum), and that instance falls into the "I know the B&G personally" bracket
  • Quoted:
    Perhaps if you did a little home work you would find that a good majority of photographers

who sell their DVD'S are quite up for selling their copyright, copyright free DVD, is almost a buzz word!

If you feel that only 0.01 percent stipulate that they will sell the copyright you are simply on another planet! its more like 30%+

What I am TRYING to say is that photographers who DO actually say that they will sell copyright often do not go about it in the correct way.

You cannot simply produce a letter saying I assign copyright to Mrs X simply because in a court of law it would not stand up.

Hence if a couple wish to buy a DVD with copy then a solicitor is required.

Right to copy is often incorrectly called copyright to make things easier to understand.

The creator of the image doesn't need a solicitor to hand over the copyright just written permission from the tog. Solicitors are only really needed in complex issues where several interests, usually commercial are involved.
  • I take your point chris, however it is a risk using the name copyright when in fact it is solely image usage rather than ownership.

Most couples I suspect would be happy to purchase their images however it is possibly that those who were a little more savvy in extreme cases could then take their photographer to court for image use of their wedding in their folios. simply for using the wrong terminology

I suspect that not all photographers bother to explain this in full to their clients so we have an impasse

As for the services of a copyright lawyer, All I can state is the one I know would certainly recommend that items however small should be checked out and witnessed, cant really say anymore than that can I..

Incidentally, why do so many photographs sell DVD's for next to nothing, as an illustrator and a journalist with a small j, I am totally bewildered with this!

Richard, Ill try to do my homework by seeing if guys in the social sector actually know what its all about because advertising and fashion photographers certainly do!

Susan x

PS, Hmm, didn't realise that these forums were so serious, debate is good.
  • Hi TheWeddingPhotographer and Chris

Youre right it was a bit of an open question, i havent decided if i want an italian or someone to travel so cant answer that one. I think it depends on if we find one we like we make it work either way,

We'd be looking for probably up to 10 hours coverage, images retouched and on dvd for us to print from (fair usage ofcourse) and some have given us quotes which include an album, some with story book album... But my problem is ive gotten quotes anywhere from £1100 to £2800 so im finding it hard to figure out what the price 'should be'

What would you guys charge? Ignoring that its in italy as assume this would just mean travel costs are to be added on

Thanks alot for all the replies

Xx
  • When it comes to weddings there isn't usually issues with usage.

It isn't forum policy to canvas or talk prices, just to assist brides, but you are welcome to email myself or Richard.