saving tip - Save The Change

Hey

Just wanted to quickly mention a tool i found on my online banking for Lloyds TSB - when you make a purchase on your debit card for say 3.60 it will round it up to 4.00 and put the rest into an account you specified - so for me i opened a new savings account.

Its been about 3-4 months and Ive saved £89.00!!! definitely worth a look for any online Lloyds customers here image

Cheers,

• JP2BEJP2BE Posts: 262
    Ah yes, I also do this! it's very good if you use your card a lot! image
  • Ooh! great tip, will have to see if Natwest offer the same thing!
  • Really, I'm with Lloyds, how do I set this up??
  • lindsayulindsayu Posts: 1,939
    I signed up for it the only thing is they only do it if your account is in credit, as a relatively recent graduate I live in my overdraft, I get paid and I'm still in my overdraft haha so I've never had the opportunity to save!
  • JoeyClareJoeyClare Posts: 2,737
    It's amazing how quickly change mounts up. Me and H2B stick spare change in a pot (Anything up to 20p) and it's amazing how quickly you realize you've got £30. Also got a pot for 50p, £1, £2 and notes. The bank idea sounds genius. I'm with Halifax and not sure they offer the service. I always round things up in my head when I buy them anyway!
  • gemz1985gemz1985 Posts: 174
    Thanks for that Lindsay I signed up for this a while ago and was woundering why it hasn't been activated but hadn't got around to checking. It seems the dreaded over-draft is the answer image
  • SarahJ36SarahJ36 Posts: 21
    We save £2 coins, we have one of those tin money boxes that you can't open but I keep weighing it to see how much is in there image We've saved about £400 in a year. The hsbc near us as a coin deposit machine too, not looking forward to carrying it down there though!
  • Hey sorry I havent been able to check this for a while!

Sorry I didnt realise it wouldnt let you do it if there was an overdraftimage im not 100% if other banks offer it, they might but I guess branded up as another name?

I think doing it yourself at home or through online banking it definitely all helps!

I dug out some details about it here: [urlhttp://www.lloydstsb.com/savings/save_the_change.asp]
  • sounds a good idea, going to see if my bank does the same. I saved loads for my partners 40th last year by emptying my purse each night and using the change - if I had 2.10 I would put 10p away if I had 3.80 I would put 80p away so I only had rounded up pounds of change if that makes sense!
  • RoofiesRoofies Posts: 280
    We've been doing this since Christmas (in a jar, not through the bank - although does anyone know if HSBC does this??) We've saved £200 already and I've started adding in my tips from my extra job so it's definitely mounting up quickly now. Amazing really - wonder what happened to all that loose change before!
  • Quoted:
    sounds a good idea, going to see if my bank does the same. I saved loads for my partners 40th last year by emptying my purse each night and using the change - if I had 2.10 I would put 10p away if I had 3.80 I would put 80p away so I only had rounded up pounds of change if that makes sense!

Im doing this as part of our wedding saving and so is OH, hoping it will really make a difference!

Will have to look into the LLoyds thing too as an existing customer!