Any advice when visiting/booking wedding photographer?

Hi all

Well since booking our venue 2 months ago H2B and I thought we had better start looking to book a photographer before our date gets booked up!

Am a bit nervous about arranging a visit as unsure what questions we should ask and also what to expect (did anyone feel pressured to book or make a decision there and then?). Did you go to their studio for the meeting (sorry if a silly question). Also, were you able to negotiate costs at all to suit your requirements?

We really like the natural candid shot rather than lots of posed and not sure if we should look to book 1 or 2 photographers? Do you feel like any 'shots' are missing with one?

Any advice appreciated

DB image

• It's a bit like buying your first house. you'll know.

Generally meet a few and let them do the talking. Questions will arise as they speak to you. Let them tell you how they work, why they do it etc and take it from there.

There's no right or wrong way just make sure you meet a few.
  • I haven't got around to visiting any photographers yet - however, I think one of the most important things is.... Do you and H2B like them?!

They are going to be with you most of the day! It is important that you feel relaxed around them and that they make it fun, particularly if, like me, you don't really like having your photo taken.

Also, see if they do a pre-wedding / engagement shoot. This can be useful in getting you used to being photographed and to feel more relaxed around them. Some photographers will include this in the package.

Ask if they have photographed at your venue before and if not, will they will willing to come with you to see it. It is important that they know what they are working with and where the best photos will be so they arent sorting this out on the day.

Do you get the rights to your images? There are a lot of differences between copyright and other types of ownership of images (Im not totally clear on them all); however, some photographers will give you a CD with images and you can get them printed somewhere else. Some will not allow this. Obviously, this is a big thing so make sure you know your rights to the images!
  • why not go to some wedding fayres?? we got to speak to about 8 photographers at the last one we went to, It was great to compare them and have a look through the books etc

Also make sure you haggle when you find the one you like

we started off with a package for £1000 that was all day coverage, a cd of images, a main album, 2 parent albums and a pre-wedding shoot and guestbook - i thought this was really good but H2B is always after a bit more for the money image

we ended up getting all day coverage, a cd of images and pre-wedding shoot images, a bigger main album, 4 parent albums (my parents are divorced), a 2013 calendar of our wedding, the pre-wedding shoot and guestbook all for £975

I'm not too good at the haggling so did it via email and ended up with a great deal
  • Quoted:

Do you get the rights to your images? There are a lot of differences between copyright and other types of ownership of images (Im not totally clear on them all); however, some photographers will give you a CD with images and you can get them printed somewhere else. Some will not allow this. Obviously, this is a big thing so make sure you know your rights to the images!

There's a lot of confusion around copyright. If a photographer gives you copyright in it's strict definition you will outright own the images. Most togs worth their salt value their artwork and wouldn't give it up.

Nearly always, when a photographer incorrectly claims you will receive the copyright they mean you receive a right to copy. So, you can print them off as often as you like, make copies for friends and family etc and usually you can do anything with them unless it's for commercial use (i.e. sell them or enter them for competitions).

• JoeyClareJoeyClare Posts: 2,737
    The best advice I got was to view a few albums of a full wedding. You don't want to book a photographer off a few good shots as most people can get lucky with a camera, but it takes a true professional to have a whole album of beautiful pictures.

My photographer asked me what style I liked and showed me examples of traditional and reportage photography. You need to feel at ease with their style. I told mine that under no circumstances where there to be weird arty shots me and h2b through a wedding ring. image

Asking about copyright on the CD is a also a good idea. I saw lots of photographers that were charging an extra £300 for this!
  • Thanks all, some great advice image

We have narrowed down 3/4 photographers who's photo's are is the style we like (and costs are in our budget). I guess we need to see which of these we'd have rapport with.

I think it's a good idea to have a pre-wedding shoot, i also get really nervous in front of a camera so I will double check this is included in the package too!
  • LOL JoeyClare, me too, I have seen the weird ring shot somewhere too!! I'll make a point of looking through a couple of their full albums, i guess it'll be like when you find your venue, you know it's the one. xx