Buffet Prices- How much is too much?!

A few months ago, I gave my fella the job of securing the date for our reception venue as I couldn't get to their open evening due to work commitments. I only found out about a fortnight ago that he signed for something but has promptly lost the paperwork they gave him...image 

We are happy to pay full price for everything apart from the buffet option - their cheapest option is £5.95pp for a bacon or sausage butty! Am I alone in thinking that it is unreasonable to expect someone to pay nearly 6 quid for this?? In total, it would cost us £357 pounds for them. We couldn't even under cater as everyone would expect to get one butty. I wouldn't mind paying 5.95 if you got more for it, but it seems particularly steep as the venue is a cafe by day and they certainly don't charge these prices for their sandwiches usually. 

Has anyone had experience of negotiating over this area? A compromise we see would be to order some bacon/sausage butties but to have the option to bolster up the buffet with things we have brought ourselves. Does this seem fair? 

• Boo181Boo181 Posts: 107

Sorry, should have explained more clearly about the background on the paperwork - feel that we might have lost some bargaining power as we have already signed paperwork. 

• Cheaper that what we have to pay at a nice hotel. Think the cheapest option was £7.95 per head for mini bacon bagettes or mini burgers. Is it a decent size butty at least?

I don't know what size they are. What my irritation is with it, is that the venue is a cafe and serves sandwiches with waiter service at much cheaper prices than this, so it seems that there is no valid reason for the price increase. 

• Jennytay08Jennytay08 Posts: 693

We are having mini portions of haggis,neeps and tatties for 5.95 a head. I also know of someone who paid 8.95 a head for bacon rolls and a few potato wedges. and you say that everyone will expect a bacon roll, but really? after a three course meal, a lot of the guests will be too stuffed to think about it - or, depending on the guests, more interested in the bar! haha!

the waiter service for the sandwiches will not be at 10pm at night - remeber the venue will have to pay staff (ie. the chef) to stay on late.

You could also ask the venue about a sweety buffet or similar and that would satisfy the guests!

I hadn't really considered the fact that staff would need to be paid to stay on until late. The sad fact is that we're on a very tight budget and stuck because we want to provide some food for evening guests who didn't come to the meal, but we can't afford those sorts of prices.

Do you think it would be fair to ask if we could bring in our own food for the buffet or if we asked for fewer sandwiches that are cold sandwiches rather than bacon/sausage so don't need evening staff to make them and if we could bring some food in ourselves? It's hard because we are vegetarians so we wouldn't even be eating the bacon/sausage butties anyway!  

• heliganedenheliganeden Posts: 1,848

You can ask about bringing your own food, but a lot of places won't allow you to bring in your own catering if they provide food onsite

I don't think the price is that steep tbh, I've heard of places charging a lot more, and you can't really compare the prices in the day with the evening as their overheads will be more in the evening

I t hink asking for some to be cold sandwiches would be a good option,plus you'll need some kind of verggie option anyway, and I wouldn't assume that everyone will want one, usually in an evening buffet you cater for 80% of the guests image

• RowenaFWRowenaFW Posts: 2,078

I don't think they'll let you decrease the price as a) you have signed for it and b) it is fairly standard for weddings. However, you could ask them to provide more for the price, for instance a large amount of chips and cones/bowls so that people can have a butty and chips and that veggies get something. You also should be aware that unless people are explicitly told one butty each they will probably go back for more, possibly before everyone has had one.

I'm going to try my hand at negotiating with them. In the end, all they can say is no. If not, we'll just have to do without the buffet...

• Naomi1984Naomi1984 Posts: 142

For hot dogs and bacon rolls our venue charges £12 a head. You are lucky!

We are on a very tight budget and it seems that I have maybe unrealistic ideas of what is or isn't the norm in wedding land in terms of prices! image I couldn't spend 12 quid a head for hot dogs and bacon rolls, even if we had the budget to do it. I'd rather put the money into a different part of the day. 

• i would say the price you have been quoted is pretty standard pricing and as some of the other brides have already said quite cheap, seen as you have lost the original paperwork you dont really have a negotiation dealbreaker what i would say is go back to them and ask what is included in the price of the buffet (i doubt it will be much) but you could ask them if they could you offer a more varied selection i.e both bacon and sausage butties and i would also ask about throwing some chips into it just to substantiate the meal especially if its going to be late evening..... Not sure where in the country your getting married but im getting wed in Staffordshire and my evening buffet is costing me £7.95 per head which consists of:

Assorted Sandwiches and bridge rolls, Pizza, Chicken Platters, Quiche, Sausage rolls, Pasta Salads, Rice Dishes, Cooked Meats and Salmon, Seafood Selection, New Potatoes, Salads and Dips and about 7-8 Homemade Cakes of different flavours and were also having a tower of cupcakes which a friend of ours is doing for us as an extra xx

• Jennytay08Jennytay08 Posts: 693
    We haven't got the biggest budget either but I think people are mostly concerned with food/drink/disco or band. So I reckon it would be good to provide something but you should try and negotiate as you said all the can do is say no!
  • My venue also charge ??12 for bacon rolls! So ??5.95 sounds pretty good to me haha.
  • We're paying ??6.25pp for bacon or sausage baguettes and chips. I'm very happy with the price as their cheapest buffet option was ??12.95pp.
  • TheNewMrsCTheNewMrsC Posts: 558

I think there is probably little you can do over the price if a contract has been signed. Like others have said you could maybe push for chips to be included in the price quoted. You could then serve your wedding cake as a sweet option, that would then be plenty of food.

• h59helenh59helen Posts: 171

Hey we are going for the bacon buffet option and we're paying £4.75 but thats bacon, sausage,fries fried onions and dips x

• MrsBeau2BMrsBeau2B Posts: 1,513

The Buffet options at our venue range from £9.95 to £15 95, so i think the price you have been quoted is pretty reasonable!

• We are paying £6.50pp for a cone of fish & chps ( I will add cone is a decent size)

venue's normal tradition finger buffet is £20pp..image

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058
    Clare_Jeffery wrote (see)

We are paying £6.50pp for a cone of fish & chps ( I will add cone is a decent size)

I just don't get it at all Clare.  Our venue is very similar- £18 I think for the normal, standard, boring buffet- yet we're being charged just £8.95 for mini fish & chips image  I reckon our guests will really enjoy them and going for this option will save us £700! image

• 13july201313july2013 Posts: 276

ha! ours is charging £18.95 a head for 8 item!

• 13july201313july2013 Posts: 276

oh and £30 a head for meal x

• We are paying £6.50pp for a cone of fish & chps ( I will add cone is a decent size)

I just don't get it at all Clare.  Our venue is very similar- £18 I think for the normal, standard, boring buffet- yet we're being charged just £8.95 for mini fish & chips image  I reckon our guests will really enjoy them and going for this option will save us £700! image

I know.. we wanted something different anyway!! Something that none of our guests have had before.
    Having fish and chips is saving us £2,700 image is ridiculous!!  

We are catering for 100% though.. which is our choice too cater for that many, I'd rather some got binned than there wasn't enough, least then the piggy guests can have more than one hehe!

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058
    Clare_Jeffery wrote (see)

We are catering for 100% though.. which is our choice too cater for that many, I'd rather some got binned than there wasn't enough, least then the piggy guests can have more than one

I'd planned on catering for 100% too........I guess you have to really, unlike a regular buffet- nothing worse than not enough!

• try out biriyummy catering guys.... they do catering all over England. For starters, you get onion bhaji, veg/meat somosa, for mains you get chicken tikka massala, chicken tikka jalfrezi, vegetable curry, tarka daal, pilau rice, naan and also get dessert too..... all for £8 per head.... you will never get a better deal than that

tel no 07932309806