market research

Hi, Im considering starting a new bridal business in the midlands and doing market research any comments on what attracts brides to a boutique, your age or age rangeimage , your budget and how much of this will be spent on your dress and other beauty items please including accessories will be much appreciated.

many thanks

Betsy x

• Hi all, please don't be shy about posting, can't think of anyone better than asking real life brides to be about their thoughts on what they would want in a bridal boutique image 

• BekhaGBekhaG Posts: 584 New bride

I wanted somewhere that actually had dresses in sizes 18/20/22 for me to try in a few different styles, a nicely decorated interior is a bonus, chairs for my companions and offer them a drink (very disappointed by how few shops did this-not even tap water), spacious changing rooms, a variety of veils to try, reasonably priced accessories and a selection of boleros and shrugs to try. Throwing in alterations for free would also be a bonus but I wouldn't and didn't expect that. Finally, make sure you offer one of two late openings during the week and Saturdays as well.Hope that helps image

• BekhaGBekhaG Posts: 584 New bride

Oh, and dresses in a range of prices-especially some below £600. And also, some shorter dress options-it was impossible to find anything other than floor length. Promise thats it!

• image ah, thank you so much BekhaG and congrats on your wedding!

this is all so helpful so please no apols and keep adding as much as you want lol

I got married 2 years ago now and remember well some of the trials and tribulations but wondered if this was just me, so getting this directly from other brides will help me realise exactly how to appeal and give Brides the amazing bridal experience they deserve! 

• More variation of styles, like  Behak says hardly anywhere stocks shorter length dresses and very few places had anything but strapless when I went, I wanted straps or sleeves and some shop assistants looked at me like I had two heads for not wanting a strapless A- libe dress. Stocking dresses away from the norm will make a shop stand out image

• many thanks for your comments, sounding like there is a need for tea length dresses with sleeves : )

• Please keep adding your opinions are important thanks 

• A couple of things I really loved about some shops I went to:

• Making a fuss of my mum as well as me.
    • Offering drinks to everyone
    • Pricing: Telling you the lowest and highest price dress in the shop before you start looking so you know what you're dealing with. Also clearly price labelling dresses, no one wants to try on and fall in love with something out of their budget.
    • Make the bride feel at ease and give her a few compliments before you ask her to whip her clothes off! image 
    • Token system for selecting dresses you want to try. I really liked this and it meant I could give my MOH and mum a token each to pick a dress they would like to see me in.
    • Having lots of accessories - hair slides, bands, belts, veils and shoes. Makes a big difference! Having a range of shoe sizes helps!
    • Not being pushy about dress styles but give an honest opinion.

My dress is £1100 but I met the ladies from the shop at a wedding fair previous to my appointment and they gave me a 10% discount so it's £990 in the end. The 10% did prompt me to make an appointment to go there but I loved the dress so much I would have brought it without it.

Look at other bridal boutiques in the same area as you and try and stock other dress designers. There are so many dress shops around me, I went to three before I found 'the dress' and I picked each shop based on them having enough different designers to the last.

Hope that helps!

• Thank u so much sadie Marie this is all so helpful. And a token system never heard of that before but a lovely little thought to ensure everyone feels involved! 

• Two of out three of the shops I went to did tokens, I loved it! They gave you a quick tour of the shop etc and explain the dresses and then give you the tokens to hang on the ones you like and leave you to it until you're done. 

My dress was actually one the girls picked not me so  it can be useful! image

• Being upfront about alteration costs, or actually just ordering the dress in the right size so it doesn't need alterations.

I'm constantly shocked by how much alteration work is required on wedding dresses, unless the bride changes significantly then I think more could be ordered in a better fit in the first place

• Yes I got that shock too! What I have learnt since is that it's standard practice that alterations are add on cost as the dress is manufactured to a standard size eg 12 like ud find in high street shop like dorothy Perkins And not bespoke. So when they measure u it's to fit u to the nearest standard size. The alterations then make the dress fit to u.   

• There isn't much profit to be made but I think most bridal shops offer this as a way of being helpful to their brides rather than them having the headache of finding someone.... seamstresses that can alter bridal dresses seem to be a rare breed lol image 

• Just out of interest oh many tokens were u given?

• betsy2 wrote (see)

Yes I got that shock too! What I have learnt since is that it's standard practice that alterations are add on cost as the dress is manufactured to a standard size eg 12 like ud find in high street shop like dorothy Perkins And not bespoke. So when they measure u it's to fit u to the nearest standard size. The alterations then make the dress fit to u.   

Clothes are a standard size in a high street shop too though, if I want a dress in say a 12, I try it in, it either fits or if it's too big/too small I'll try a smaller or bigger size, and get the one that fits! I can't for the life of me understand why wedding dresses aren't ordered in the size that fits (excluding the length, that I understand alterations for) when a dress on the high street that costs a fraction of the price can manage it