Can I cancel my photographer?

I have a small budget and spent ages and ages looking for a photographer I could afford with the things I needed (photos, album etc) and only one came up, and though I did not think his photos were wonderful, they were decent , fine and he was very nice and friendly and willing to do anything basically!

So I sent him a cheque of £100, signed the contract, but now another photographer has said he would love to photograph my wedding because it is on a boat and a mixed wedding, he is usually quite expensive but has dropped the price really low (same as the first photographer) and wants to do my wedding, his photos are of EXCELLENT quality and I want to go for him!!

I have told the other photographer not to cash the cheque yet which he has not, but can I cancel him without losing the deposit? My family told me just to say to him that I am not getting married etc or lie etc so that I do not need to use him because the other photos are much better and these are going to be my memories in the future.

I feel bad because the first photographer is lovely and we have been emailing for a long time....I dont know what to do!! but at the same time I cannot lose £100!

HELP!

Heidi xx

• missmennamissmenna Posts: 75
    Its great that you've found a photographer that you really like. It sounds as though the first photographer was extremely reasonable though. When you write a cheque, it is the same as giving someone money; you wouldn't expect to go into a shop and buy something and ask them to delay cashing the cheque! The very fact that this photographer has done as you asked; and not cashed the cheque, just means that he is a nice person, not that he isn't entitled to his money. Whilst you may not be able to lose the £100, you did enter into a contract and tender a deposit; he is also entitled to make his living. The very reason suppliers take a deposit, is to ensure that the person buying their service follows through with their booking.

You are saving money anyway, if the second photographer has dropped his prices so low. I have had two suppliers let me down during the process of planning the wedding. Think how you'd feel if the tables were turned.

I think it would be the honest thing to phone the photographer and expect to lose your £100.

Good luck
  • you will def lose yr deposit even if u do lie to the photographer.but if u really like the 2nd photographer then go with yr instinct otherwise after yr wedding u will spend the rest of yr life lookin at yr photos saying well what if....... i know 100quid is a lot of money to lose, but if the 2nd photographer is much better then he would be the best to choose and would be money well spent!! x
  • HeidiErdoganHeidiErdogan Posts: 518
    Thank you, I guess you are right,looks like I have made my bed so I have to lie in it, I cannot afford to lose the deposit so I will have to stick with the 1st photographer and hope he does me proud!

Heidi xx
  • deecydeecy Posts: 7,493
    why not cancel the cheque and tell him you can't afford it? or tell him the situation adn ask him to split the £100, so he gets £50 for his troubles.

if your wedding is a long way off the 1st photographer will get another booking i'm sure.
  • nicola27uknicola27uk Posts: 2,325
    Yeah i would expect to lose your £100 at least you have found someone you love rather than just like hey image
    I am not going for the photographer I love because I cannot afford to lose the £100 from the other photographer so I am just sticking to the other photographer and hoping he does me proud.

Heidi xx
    I am not going for the photographer I love because I cannot afford to lose the £100 from the other photographer so I am just sticking to the other photographer and hoping he does me proud.

Heidi xx
  • Quoted:
    why not cancel the cheque and tell him you can't afford it? or tell him the situation adn ask him to split the £100, so he gets £50 for his troubles.

if your wedding is a long way off the 1st photographer will get another booking i'm sure.

Can I just cancel the cheque? would that not cause any problems?

Ohhh Deecy, are 7x5 good sizes for a photo? as the other photographer said he would deliver all images to CD as large proofs plus 120 photos (7x5's plus 4 10x8's)

This is the photographer I want who will do my wedding for £450

http://www.london-wedding-photographer.co.uk/wedd.asp

This is the photographer I went for because he too was £450 but I was worried from the off despite Micheal being a lovely great guy.

http://www.michael-ireland.com/mainpage.htm

Heidi xx
  • Hmm, I think if you just cancel the cheque you'll be in breach of contract (plus my bank charges to cancel cheques now), but saying that its possible that as your photographer has behaved so nicely up to now that he won't say anything, but I wouldn't honestly cancel it without talking to him first, its not really fair to him.
    I would say that as the photographer has yet to bank the cheque, and therefore has not had any money that there is no contract.

Have you signed a contract?

If there's no contract you're simply changing your mind.

I'd definitely go with this photographer http://www.london-wedding-photographer.co.uk/services.htm his shots are better and your package sounds like a good deal. 7x5 prints are fairly normal size for pics, most photographers either do 7x5, 8x6 or 10x8. It's a good size to frame amd mount in an album.

What are large proofs? and does that mean the CD is for viewing only?
  • There is a contract, she signed it when the cheque was handed over. The reason the cheque hasn't been cashed, is cause Heidi asked him not to cash it, and because he's obviously a nice person. I think the point is doing the right thing, if the first photographer backed out for a more profitable booking and left Heidi high and dry, we'd all be saying how terrible he is! Ultimately its up to you Heidi, but you have signed a contract and tendered a cheque. If he had cashed the cheque, you would have to ask for your money back. Whilst he may get another booking you won't know unless you speak to him and explain.

Deecy i'm quite frankly shocked, this man is running a business; I wouldn't dream of treating any of my suppliers in this way. Treat others as you'd like to be treated. The reason suppliers take deposits is to stop people "changing your mind" and to safeguard their bookings and income.
  • Heidi says in her original posting that she's signed a contract. As i've said before the cheque has only not been cashed because Heidi asked him not to - not because he isn't entitled to the money! I don't know of any other service that you'd expect to place a deposit and then cancel and get your money back. The photographer sounds like a nice guy and doesn't deserve to be penalised for being so. Did you expect to get your deposit back when you cancelled Lynsey? I admit its quite a thought to lose money as weddings are expensive enough already, however a deposit was tendered and the photographer has every right to cash it. Lougla is right it would be breech of contract.

I certainly wouldn't want a bride to stick with me if she found a better deal, and I've refunded a deposit in the past because of this. That's good customer relations.

I think her original photographer would be being extremely short sighted to enforce the terms of the contract in this case, I would have hoped that he could be flexible when he hasn't even banked the cheque and that he might get another booking anyway.

If a contract has been signed - which was a question I asked - then Heidi under the terms and conditions would have to lose her deposit, my only query would be how can a contract be in place when the photographer hasn't received the payment? Surely funds changing hands is a fundamental part of a client/supplier contract?

I feel that when a customer has a small budget where every penny counts and where a supplier offers tailored services in the lower price ranges specifically to attract customers whose budget is small to then not be flexible & understanding when tricky issues arise is really bad practise.

I would rather lose a customer to a better a deal than be seen as petty, inflexible and penny pinching. If this was me I would gladly release Heidi from the contract as this would be in her best interests.

• I agree that is a nice policy to have. However it is up to the individual photographer to decide, not to have his cheque cancelled and then informed of that. Again the photographer hasn't cashed the cheque because he was asked not to. Not because he isn't entitled to the money. My point is that he could have cashed the cheque at anytime - he has every right to do so. Whether or not he returns a deposit is up to him and a simple chat to him may resolve it. We can not write cheques and just cancel them as and when it suits us, it is unfair. I don't know if the guarantee card was ever presented/written on cheque, if it was the bank will not cancel it anyway.

At the end of the day it's up to the photographers goodwill. I have read numerous posts on this site, where people have lost deposits for cancelling. After all these suppliers are people like us and they too need to make a living.

• Oh dear!! I would not have been that mean that I would have just cancelled it without mentioning anything and all the ladies on here DID tell me to talk to him and tell him, not one lady on here said to cancel without saying anything, so they have done nothing wrong or said anything that indicates that I should take the money and run, they all said to tell him and cancel the cheque.

After having a word with my mum, the first photographer is going to come up for a visit with his new photos, and we will be hammering home the kind of photos we want, the style we want and so on, and we will be telling him that we were not impressed with some of the photos, and then he can tell us what he intends to do and so on.

Heidi xx
  • 'cancel the cheque and let the photographer know'

'why not cancel the cheque and tell him you can't afford it'

Both of the above quotes imply that the cheque should be cancelled and then the photographer informed/told; as opposed to speaking first and negotiating. I never suggested anyone had said to take the money and run. I didn't think for a minute you would actually do that Heidi, or else you would never have written your post: i just objected to some of the suggestions that were being made by others.

I hope everything goes well with your photographer and he captures your day well, and in the style you like.

Menna x
  • Very distasteful to cancel the cheque. You paid to secure the date, if you cancel it isnt the photographers fault.

• Bradley this thread is 9 years old, I think the OP would have made her decision by now!

• Mrsseebe2beMrsseebe2be Posts: 707 New bride
    John122 wrote (see post):

Of course you can. But here we are, for example, made everything at times cheaper. Because they asked a friend to take a photo and everything was processed on the site, this helped us save a lot of money .Here is the site where the processing was ordered http://wedding-retouching.com/

John this a 10 year old thread, no one cares.

• LittleOne89LittleOne89 Posts: 388 New bride
    Mrsseebe2be wrote (see post):
    John122 wrote (see post):

Of course you can. But here we are, for example, made everything at times cheaper. Because they asked a friend to take a photo and everything was processed on the site, this helped us save a lot of money .Here is the site where the processing was ordered http://wedding-retouching.com/

John this a 10 year old thread, no one cares.

Glad somebody said it.