STress dress shopping - budget!

Hi ladies

i haven't even begun to step inside a dress shop yet for a few reasons, my wedding isn't until May next year so I have plenty of time

Myself and a few of my bridal party have a date in June for me to finally go dress shopping but I have worries!

the main one aside from 'will I look nice in any?!' 'Will they treat me nice' (i'm seeing scenes from Pretty Woman where she gets totally snubbed shopping!)

the main issue is my budget! 

I totally plan on going to Wed2be to try on a whole range of dresses so i can get an idea of style before I hit the other shops so at least I'll have a guide when I have appointment times on what type of dresses to try on 

but now I'm wondering weather I should even bother making appointments at all these pretty boutiques because I have a feeling they won't have anything for my budget and I'll be laughed at!!

so my budget isn't ridged, I've set my budget more to how much I'd realistically want to spend on a dress I would wear once, it's not that I can't physically afford a bit more, cause if needs be I can, it's more I don't WANT to spend more... not on one dress, despite this I still want it to be a beautiful dress!

so for those of you who have been and made appointments, am I going to have absolutely no options for a £600 budget?! Should I just stick to wed2be where I know ill afford everything in there, I feel like I'll miss the experiance of actually walking into these beautiful looking dress shops which I know id like to try.. But I have images of them bringing out back room stock with holes in and in bright blue haha just to suit the budget!

All thoughts welcome please! 

• Sam60Sam60 Posts: 249

I don't think it matters. I had a small budget so was pretending to look at everything and then was gonna do the 'oh the one I like happens to be cheap' routine. You are a paying customer so should be treated with respect regardless of how big a budget you have!!

You might find something in Wed2Be that you love though. I found and bought something in my first dress shop...and that was never my plan (I thought I would see what I liked then try to find s bargain on line) xx

• Hi, i went to some of the high end boutiques and even though i have a higher budget it was still very intimidating and i felt out of place. We went to Wed2b this week and it was great. I got to try on 12 dresses, the assistants were lovely and spent loads of time with you, it wasn't rushed or like they didnt care, they wanted to make every bride feel special. It was so much more relaxed and enjoyable. Whilst i was there at least 3 brides found 'the one'. 

Ring other shops and ask what dresses they have in your budget before you go to an appointment so you arent dissapointed on the day if they dont have much x x x

• The best bridal makeup 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,012 New bride

I went to 3 or 4 bridal boutiques, and while I wouldn't call them high end, I don't think there was anything under £800 in any of them. A designer dress such as Maggie Sottero or Essence of Australia, in my experience, runs around £900-1500, the average dress being about £1200. However there is a dress shop local to me (that I haven't been in) that is advertising dresses for £300 in the window. They aren't designer and I'm not sure on the quality, but it does show that some boutiques stock lower priced dresses.

I would start off by looking the bridal store's website. If they only stock designer gowns then you might want to either scratch them off your list or visit when they have a sample sale on.

To be honest I would go to a nice boutique first and try on lots of styles to get an idea of what you like in a relaxed and 1-2-1 environment- even if you have no intention of buying. Then head to wed2b armed with a little experience in what you want!

• MrsE2016MrsE2016 Posts: 1,209 New bride

Have you considered a sample sale? That way you get the boutique experience but without the price tag! 

• Thanks for all the replies guys! 

I guess things would be different if I was interested in a 'designer' gown but I'm really not overly fluffed on what designer I wear so long as I like the dress

i guess sample sales would be the best idea as suggested, same experience but smaller price... I always saw my Wed2be plans to be simply a 'try and see' but I'm now warming to it becoming more of a place I would actually buy from, so I think I'll visit some boutiques to get an idea of style and then wed2be with the gang to pick a dress

miss A to Mrs B thanks for sharing your wed2be experience! I'm looking forward to visiting nuch more now :)

• It was much better than expected. We went Thursday evening and it was fairly quiet. They said Saturdays you can wait up to 2 hours and you can only try on 4 dresses at a time, so if you wanted to try on 12 dresses it could take 6 hours so beware! They said Sundays are better or a weekday if you can. I would take some snacks and magazines if you go in a group and it could be really fun! X

• Why not try some on at a wedding fair? They have a selection to try and buy on the day like a sample sale, great offers but no intimidation or pressure as they have lots of other girls looking :-) xx

• Miss A to Mrs B wrote (see post):

It was much better than expected. We went Thursday evening and it was fairly quiet. They said Saturdays you can wait up to 2 hours and you can only try on 4 dresses at a time, so if you wanted to try on 12 dresses it could take 6 hours so beware! They said Sundays are better or a weekday if you can. I would take some snacks and magazines if you go in a group and it could be really fun! X

We have all booked a Monday off in June so hopefully this will avoid the crowds! But certainly some snacks and magazines is a great idea - thank you! 

• Rachel220 wrote (see post):

Why not try some on at a wedding fair? They have a selection to try and buy on the day like a sample sale, great offers but no intimidation or pressure as they have lots of other girls looking :-) xx

It could be an option but when I went to the national wedding show last year it was just so rammed full of people trying dresses on, It didn't seem my type of scene at all... However having said that I can see how it would be a good opportunity to scope out some dresses within my budget or walking away without the pressure of going into a store and trying something on! So I'll revisit this idea :)

• Try a smaller local wedding fair instead of the huge national ones :-) theyre on most weekends and normally free entry xx

• Rachel220 wrote (see post):

Try a smaller local wedding fair instead of the huge national ones :-) theyre on most weekends and normally free entry xx

Gah would you believe I never even thought of this, if they don't jump out at me on the TV and posters on the side of a bus I'm rubbish at knowing anything haha thank you I'll have a research :)

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

Personally if I were you I wouldn't really go to any boutiques unless you call them first and they have a reasonable selection of dress in your budget as otherwise you might see something you love and it be way over budget - it is very easily done. You say you don't want a designer and I was exactly the same but actually when I was there I really noticed the difference between the designer and non-designer and was entranced by them, how fickle I am! I know lots of people who have used web2B as you originally intended to and to get your first dress shop experience as you can try on such a large amount of dresses if you allow plenty of time (and patience, and energy!) Then if you don't find, you can just go back again as they have such a large amount of dresses I don't think you would get through them all in one day! 

• Another option of preloved or for sales on here or other places. I've seem some absolute bargain prices for designer dresses on here. Personally I don't like the word designer I mean every dress is designed by someone eh lol. 

I origionally was going to get my dress from wed2b. I went 2 times and tried on lots of dresses. As others have said staff are fantastic there is no snooty assistants in sight and the dresses are lovely. My mum offered to put towards another dress when I saw a picture of one and fell in love with it. We went to try it on and I was hooked. Yes it's "designer" but the dress is stunning and had I found it in wed2b I would have bought it there. I didn't buy for the name I bought for love hehe.  I agree with Jenni8 threre is a difference in the material but you buy what you love and within your budget  

Anyway my point. your budget doesn't just mean your limited to wed2b. As others have said sample sales off the rack dresses but also pre loved. 

Good luck with your hunting Hun. Enjoy every minute wherever you go and don't be put off by snooty places. £600 is still a lot of money to pay for one dress xx

• I too had a £600 budget but even that was.more than I could afford. I went to a few normal bridal shops and it was very dishartening as I couldnt afford anything. These shops do have sales and sample dresses but alot of these are small sizes. I was waiting patiently for a new wed2b to open near me as I thought it would be my only option. I happened to find s bridal shop an hour away which sold only sample dresses. All designer all 75% rrp. It was an amazing experience to go in, tell them my meagre budget and not have them pull that face at me. I tired loads on and eventually got my dress for £500. Obviously I dont know where you are but this cant be the only shop of its kind maybe have a look if theres anything near you

• I am hosting a second hand wedding dress sale event on 2nd April 2016 at Dock 29, The Boulevard, Leeds Dock, LS10 1PZ From 10:30 to 3:30pm

Over 100 private sellers will be bringing their dresses to sell on the day, a bit like a wedding dress car boot sale without the car or boot. They have been struggling to sell their dress online so it's a big get together of people who wish to sell their wedding dress direct to brides to be. They could even tell you the story behind the dress.

Some people paid over £1000 for their dress but they are selling it for as little as £100. Most of the dresses have been cleaned too so they look like new, a lot of people just want to sell their dress on as they no longer have a use for it. There is a changing room at the event so you can try before you buy. You can even haggle with the sellers as you would if you were buying from an online classified Ad.

You can get free tickets to the event by liking the Facebook page of Secret Wedding Sale. 

• Hi, i also have limited budget for our wedding as we are both quite young and my best friend suggested me this site that provides wide range of affordable dresses and i get mine from here either. The quality is decent though. Perhaps it might help. http://www.luulla.com/browse/weddings

• Hannah218Hannah218 Posts: 39

Look out for sample sales and sale racks in the bridal shops. I didn't want to spend a lot on my wedding dress so looked for lots of ideas on etsy. I couldn't decide if I wanted a long or short dress but knew I wanted vintage style so googled vintage wedding shops in my local area. I arranged a booking at one of them who told me their dresses started at £1200 (which was so much more than I was ever willing to spend!) but I thought I might as well go and try on the dresses there, even if it was just for the experience! I tried on a few beautiful full length dresses but still had this idea in my mind that I wanted a short dress! The only short dress they had in the shop was in their sale rack. I tried it on and fell in love! And the best part...it was £200 (reduced from £2000!!!). It needs a lot of alterations but these are only costing me £150 so for £350 I got my dream dress from a shop I never thought I could afford!

So, keep an open mind and look out for sales. Lots of designer bridal shops have sample sales with huge discounts. You might get a bargain from somewhere you never thought you could afford!

• Lucyw1672Lucyw1672 Posts: 76

Have you tried phase eight? They have some beautiful wedding dresses for under £600. ny friend rung up in advance to say she was trying on wedding dresses and the girls in the shop could not have been more helpful

• NightsparkNightspark Posts: 566

Thanks further for all the replies - I never considered phase eight, didn't know they even made wedding dresses so I'll look into this!

ive sent a few emails around to local stores stating my budget and that I didn't want to waste anyone's time etc so could they tell me if they have anything, so I'll be interested to see any replies, worse case wed2be will be my saviour I'm sure :)