Social Media Pressure

Good afternoon everyone :)

My name is Chiara and I'm a new member of the community :) 

I would like to know what you think about social media creating new necessities in consumers in the wedding industry (i.e. the bride and groom)... do you think that there might be some pressure on us that is maybe revolutionizing our concept of wedding celebration? (speaking about the reception, rather than the ceremony itself)

I was thinking this because Instagram, Pinterest, Youtube but also  TV Shows are constantly throwing beautiful ideas at us and I was wondering whether this had an impact on how you are dividing your budget and what you are prioritizing.

I am very curious to hear your opinion on this :)

• As an avid social media user; I have learnt to separate the bull from the sh×t... Fact is; there will ALWAYS be someone who appears to do things bigger, better, and brighter than you, but what is missing from the equation is YOU and your groom!

I've actually done a LOT of research into how social media effects our daily lives; but if you stand firm in your beliefs, you will be fine. Sure a quarter of a mill wedding looks fabulous - but WHY stress if you don't have the bank account to support it?! I'll be dammed if I get myself into debt over people who don't give a rat's behind about my daily struggles. Sure grandiose pictures gross a whole lot of likes/views - but if love is not at the forefront then it doesn't matter! 

This day is about what the couple desires, so whether that's a luxury country castle or a town hall so be it! I know people who have done both ends of the spectrum, but the love they exude can't be denied. Every penny my H2B and I are spending are for things we actually want as opposed to what we have seen. If we make the popular page then great - if not - we still had the wedding of our choice and that's what matters! 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,012 New bride

I wouldn't base my wedding around anything on social media or change my ideas based on what other people do or say as I have firm ideas of what I like and don't like. However- it is a secret little ambition of mine for something from my wedding, like the cake or the decor, to go on pintrest/instagram- I would get a kick out of other people pinning details from my wedding onto their own wedding boards. Not because I want to brag about it or show off or even have anyone know it's mine- just for secret validation of my efforts I suppose! And as I say I would get a kick in someone including my own macaron tower in their 'super cute cakes' pinterest board :P

• Chiara3Chiara3 Posts: 2
    Soon To Be Mrs Carberry wrote (see post):

As an avid social media user; I have learnt to separate the bull from the sh×t... Fact is; there will ALWAYS be someone who appears to do things bigger, better, and brighter than you, but what is missing from the equation is YOU and your groom!

I've actually done a LOT of research into how social media effects our daily lives; but if you stand firm in your beliefs, you will be fine. Sure a quarter of a mill wedding looks fabulous - but WHY stress if you don't have the bank account to support it?! I'll be dammed if I get myself into debt over people who don't give a rat's behind about my daily struggles. Sure grandiose pictures gross a whole lot of likes/views - but if love is not at the forefront then it doesn't matter! 

This day is about what the couple desires, so whether that's a luxury country castle or a town hall so be it! I know people who have done both ends of the spectrum, but the love they exude can't be denied. Every penny my H2B and I are spending are for things we actually want as opposed to what we have seen. If we make the popular page then great - if not - we still had the wedding of our choice and that's what matters! 

Lovely to hear what you think :) so do you think that even if social media has created some demand for needs that we didn't have before, we still rationally make critical decision on whether to spend or not? It's quite interesting especially considering the nature of the product, hich is an emotional one! What do you think?

• I think that whether or not social media existed; SOME people would still get 'manipulated'... That's why wedding magazines, bridal shows, and every other thing dedicated to the special day spend so much money on advertising. 

I am in no way, shape, or form, stating that I am exempt from the perils of advertisement, but I DO know how to separate my necessities [and my dreams] from needless expenditures - heck; I plan on changing my dress 3 times and want two different pairs of shoes [both designer - but hand to god, if I saw cheaper alternatives I would DEFINITELY buy those!]. My desire to change isn't based on anything I've seen but rather my personality [I had 3 different outfits for my 30th].

I've been obsessed with weddings long before social media, and have had ideas of what I wanted before I'd read my first bridal magazine. Some aspects of the day are elaborate, some are not - but it's ALL what we want! 

I follow quite a few wedding pages on insta, not necessarily to emulate what I see, but moreover, to steal images to hand to my vendors lol. I neither desire to do things cheap not expensive, but to OUR brief. We're spending roughly £2K on decor for our reception space [chairs, candles, uplighting, portable bars, etc] because that's what WE want. Even if we had picked a more opulent venue, we'd still splash the cash on these things because those were our specs. I've personally not seen some of these things I require [not to say they haven't been done] on the pages I follow. X

• Sweetheart, if this question is being asked for either acedemic or marketing research, I would encourage you to refer to your institution's ethical code concerning informed consent.

Just saying...

• And yes, there is definitely pressure these days to have a Pinteresty worthy wedding.

• Naomi29Naomi29 Posts: 54

I used pinterest quite a bit when I initially started planning because I wasn't too sure what I wanted. I found lots of great inspiration but I was lucky that our budget was fairly accommodating of everything I was interested in. 

I will say this though - it gave me massive ideas of grandeur about flowers. I wanted huge floral centrepieces after seeing them on pinterest. I didn't feel like I needed to have them because social media demanded it, I genuinely fell in love with white hydrangea arrangements and I loved the tall centrepieces and hanging glass baubles and decided I wanted them. I did get a sense of validation in a way because all the guests said how beautiful the flowers were, and i suppose it made me feel like i had good taste!

It's funny because if I hadn't discovered pinterest, I wonder what my wedding would have looked like. My sister got married 10 years ago and she even said her wedding would be completely different now because things like Pinterest were not around to inspire her at the time. Her wedding was very traditional looking back, and I have to think that that's because there was nothing to inform her of other available options.

• I think one of the problems with Pinterest is it shows so much big budget stuff, like floral arrangements that cost thousands, and also stylisted photo shoots that are not real weddings.  It kinda makes you want the unobtainable IYKWIM?