What is the going rate for a photographer?

Originally I had budgeted to ask fi's wedding videographer aquaintances to do it for us for a certain amount and a meal and hotel for them but they aren't willing to do just photos.

So am now wondering how much I need to find in the budget for a photographer? And if going without one and having friends take some is worth the risk?

• JdotJJdotJ Posts: 190 New bride

I personally wouldn't run the risk of not having one and just going with friends photos, having snaps taken on an iPhone is no where near the same as having professional ones taken. 

I could be wrong but i'd probably say around £800-£1000, I know some photographers charge a lot lot more though, and some a lot less. Certainly not cheap 

Jx

• JdotJ wrote (see post):

I personally wouldn't run the risk of not having one and just going with friends photos, having snaps taken on an iPhone is no where near the same as having professional ones taken. 

I could be wrong but i'd probably say around £800-£1000, I know some photographers charge a lot lot more though, and some a lot less. Certainly not cheap 

Jx

Thank you for your reply :) We can't afford to stretch to 1k :( (our budget in total is 5k, so far I've paid the deposits, registrar booking fee and bought invites so might have some wiggle room nearer the time but not that much). My mother got married 4 years ago and paid £400 but shouldn't have been naive in thinking england was the same price as how cheap wales appears to be. 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,298

If you want pro quality photos that you can display on the wall then don't just ask friends to do it! I wouldn't dream of it- you spend a fortune on your wedding and you need beautiful pics of the day, not a dodgy shot from uncle Keith's Iphone.

Budget around £1000. If you can't afford that then some photographers offer a cheaper package- say £500- where they will only shoot for a couple of hours during the ceremony and won't stay for the meal/speeches.

• Over the past 10 years charges have generally come down considerably.

When I started off in the 90's I charged £200.00 as a new photographer.

Some 26 years later there are photographers still chargeing just £200.00, try telling that to a plumber or electrician.

Principally this was caused by the digital revolution going from film to digital file, it swelled the photographer ranks as equipment became lighter, cheaper and easier to use.

Another big factor is that woman now took an important active roll where as in the past it was dominated by men!

In many was there has never been a better time to book a photographer, at the same time there are saddefinite gaps of professionalism appearing from one jobbing photographer to another. 

I'd say although you cannot just judge ability purely on price, a charge of between £1200 and £1700, would be a starting option, and ideally at least 4 years professional practice, it takes time to build up and establish a style and the confidence that goes with it.

• Sammykate wrote (see post):

If you want pro quality photos that you can display on the wall then don't just ask friends to do it! I wouldn't dream of it- you spend a fortune on your wedding and you need beautiful pics of the day, not a dodgy shot from uncle Keith's Iphone.

Budget around £1000. If you can't afford that then some photographers offer a cheaper package- say £500- where they will only shoot for a couple of hours during the ceremony and won't stay for the meal/speeches.

I was only really wanting photos for the ceremony itself, as my dad isnt with us anymore and fi's dad might not make it and he doesn't want to pick a best man, there'll only be the one speech from him anyway. As we're getting married slightly off peak (october) hopefully that might make for some negotiation and i ll look into raising some funds somehow. 

• Nigel Blacker wrote (see post):

Over the past 10 years charges have generally come down considerably.

When I started off in the 90's I charged £200.00 as a new photographer.

Some 26 years later there are photographers still chargeing just £200.00, try telling that to a plumber or electrician.

Principally this was caused by the digital revolution going from film to digital file, it swelled the photographer ranks as equipment became lighter, cheaper and easier to use.

Another big factor is that woman now took an important active roll where as in the past it was dominated by men!

In many was there has never been a better time to book a photographer, at the same time there are saddefinite gaps of professionalism appearing from one jobbing photographer to another. 

I'd say although you cannot just judge ability purely on price, a charge of between £1200 and £1700, would be a starting option, and ideally at least 4 years professional practice, it takes time to build up and establish a style and the confidence that goes with it.

Thank you for you reply. As long as the photographer is reasonably decent and is happy to listen to our requests, I don't mind their level of experience too much, at that price that is half of what we're paying all in for the ceremony and reception at the venue so can't see how we could afford it (we're saving for our house deposit at the same time as our wedding so would be very sad to have to go that much over budget).  

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

Research is key I think. There are photographers who offer smaller packages as someone else mentioned and there are often photographers on groupon but just make sure you have looked at their photos and experience and think its what you want.

I too don't want to spend loads of money on a photographer because I hate having my photo taken so am not interested in all the posed photos with my partner, I honestly just want a few nice ones to remember the day. I know I definitely don't want them taking my photo when I'm getting ready etc, I don't really understand what the point is?

• I wouldn't risk it either.we tried looking for a decent but cheap photographer as our wedding budget keeps expanding and did up finding a photographer for £550 that was from bridal prep to first dance with 300 usb images so not too bad. My tip would be to look around and try bargain with some photographers because some of them do knock some money off. He originally quoted us £750 and then went down to £550.

• I see the photography as one of the most important investments for a wedding. It's pictures you are going to be looking back on for the rest of your lives so it's really important to try and get it right. We researched a lot of local photographers and found ours through the website: http://www.yourperfectweddingphotographer.co.uk/ you can pick you budget, location etc. It's a really helpful site. We didn't have a huge budget but wanted to get the best we could for our money.

Our photographer quoted £800 for coverage of the ceremony to just after the last dance. I found that between £500-2500 was the going rate depending on how many hours you want to cover. Make sure to meet up with your photographer before booking to see examples of a whole wedding. Usually on photographers websites they just show the best shots and rarely do you see a wedding from beginning to end so this is always worth looking at.

Good luck! :)

• wed172B wrote (see post):

Research is key I think. There are photographers who offer smaller packages as someone else mentioned and there are often photographers on groupon but just make sure you have looked at their photos and experience and think its what you want.

I too don't want to spend loads of money on a photographer because I hate having my photo taken so am not interested in all the posed photos with my partner, I honestly just want a few nice ones to remember the day. I know I definitely don't want them taking my photo when I'm getting ready etc, I don't really understand what the point is?

Thank you for your reply :) I hadn't thought about groupon, i shall have a look on there and certainly need to do more research, think I ll send out a lot of emails explaining what we'd like and see what people can offer. I feel they exact same, I'd rather photos taken in the moment as I m not a fan of posing for them (and don't want to ask our guests to be stood outside for ages in the british weather to take them either) and trust my bridesmaids and mum to take good photos with their own cameras when we're getting ready. 

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

exactly my thoughts Futuremrsb95 :) i do want decent quality pictures but i just don't want to spend a really huge amount of money when in reality - what would i do with some of these photos? I also dont want to spend an hour plus of my day with a stranger taking my photo rather than enjoying the day with everyone, i went to one wedding where bride and groom were gone at least an hour and that was on top of the group and bridal party shots, everyone was bored and hungry by the time they got back!

• Mrs Crawley to be wrote (see post):

I wouldn't risk it either.we tried looking for a decent but cheap photographer as our wedding budget keeps expanding and did up finding a photographer for £550 that was from bridal prep to first dance with 300 usb images so not too bad. My tip would be to look around and try bargain with some photographers because some of them do knock some money off. He originally quoted us £750 and then went down to £550.

I think if I could find a photographer offering around £500, I would be quite happy to pay that. I think we'd want them to be there for 3- 4 hours maximum as there wont be much to see bridal prep wise so we can do that ourselves. 

• Emma-30 wrote (see post):

I see the photography as one of the most important investments for a wedding. It's pictures you are going to be looking back on for the rest of your lives so it's really important to try and get it right. We researched a lot of local photographers and found ours through the website: http://www.yourperfectweddingphotographer.co.uk/ you can pick you budget, location etc. It's a really helpful site. We didn't have a huge budget but wanted to get the best we could for our money.

Our photographer quoted £800 for coverage of the ceremony to just after the last dance. I found that between £500-2500 was the going rate depending on how many hours you want to cover. Make sure to meet up with your photographer before booking to see examples of a whole wedding. Usually on photographers websites they just show the best shots and rarely do you see a wedding from beginning to end so this is always worth looking at.

Good luck! :)

Thank you for your reply:) Photos will be one of the few parts of the wedding we keep for life so know we need to spend more on that than other things but there's a point where it feels a bit too much. Ceremony to first dance should be enough, might just have ceremony and some photos in the reception though, as although we've been practicing in the living room i wont be that graceful:P I will make sure that we meet them to explain what we'd like. 

• wed172BFuturemrsb95 wrote (see post):

exactly my thoughts Futuremrsb95 :) i do want decent quality pictures but i just don't want to spend a really huge amount of money when in reality - what would i do with some of these photos? I also dont want to spend an hour plus of my day with a stranger taking my photo rather than enjoying the day with everyone, i went to one wedding where bride and groom were gone at least an hour and that was on top of the group and bridal party shots, everyone was bored and hungry by the time they got back!

We will have an album and some frames but you're right, you only need so many photos. Yes when I was last a bridesmaid the photos took a good hour to do and the welsh weather let us down a bit with them, so one or two photos with each group of people and I'll be happy with that and then just some in the moment photos in the reception. Our ceremonies at 2pm and the breakfast is at 4 30pm so there isnt time for hours worth of photos anyway. 

• No problem, I'm sure you'll find what you're after. I found the process a lot easier than I though it would be :)

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,298

First of all I didn't want the photographer around during bridal prep either! But my H2B said he would quite like to see the pictures as he won't be there. Or as he put it 'I want them to capture the transformation from Gollum to beautiful bride' (yes he thinks he's hilarious)

Our photographers are a father and daughter team and the daughter is really lovely so I don't think I'll mind having her around for a bit, and seeing as they include it for free I said okay. So don't discount it completley, if they're going to do it for free then your H2B might like to see those pics :)

• Sammykate wrote (see post):

First of all I didn't want the photographer around during bridal prep either! But my H2B said he would quite like to see the pictures as he won't be there. Or as he put it 'I want them to capture the transformation from Gollum to beautiful bride' (yes he thinks he's hilarious)

Our photographers are a father and daughter team and the daughter is really lovely so I don't think I'll mind having her around for a bit, and seeing as they include it for free I said okay. So don't discount it completley, if they're going to do it for free then your H2B might like to see those pics :)

Funny man I see:P It's not going to be that much of a transformation otherwise maybe I would have it (i m keeping my hair relatively natural) so all i have to do is put my dress on but if they include it as a freebie then can't say no i suppose. 

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

My photographer is charging £650, which is bridal prep through to first dance so around 10 hours of the day covered. We don't get an album but we do get a box with the USB of around 700 photos, Polaroids and any treats the photographer picks up, (normally sweets, keepsake items). We didn't want a lot of posed photos, I've been a bridesmaid and as I live in Wales I know how temperamental the weather can be, (snow in late April is quite common) so didn't want to be standing around for hours. Our photographer only does about 7-8 posed photos and the rest are natural which is exactly what we want. 

Research is most definitely the key. Also going to bridal fairs is a huge help! Alot of photographers will give a discount is you book at a fair. Check what is happening in your on area.  The cheapest I found was £400 with the most expensive over £2000. 

• You can always go for a photography student. They'll likely do it for fairly cheap. There's also inexperienced photographers who are willing to do it for a token amount just to build their portfolio - I see them post on this forum all the time.

• Hi FuturemrsB!

I have been doing professional wedding photography for a year now and am still charging (what I believe to be) very reasonable prices for high quality images.  I am based in South Wales, where things are generally cheaper but am always happy to travel.  

I now charge £695 for all day coverage including the digital files beautifully presented on a memory stick inside a personalised folio keepsake etc.  If you let me know a few more details (location, times etc), I'd be happy to give you a more bespoke quote and see if there is anything I can do (e.g. if you are happy to have a cheapy memory stick rather than the folio, that would reduce it by £50 straight off).

Obviously you have to be happy with the photographs I take though, so feel free to have a look at my website: www.lauragracephotography.co.uk or my Facebook page www.facebook.com/lauragraceweddingphotography 

Thanks, Laura x

• FutureMrsThomas wrote (see post):

My photographer is charging £650, which is bridal prep through to first dance so around 10 hours of the day covered. We don't get an album but we do get a box with the USB of around 700 photos, Polaroids and any treats the photographer picks up, (normally sweets, keepsake items). We didn't want a lot of posed photos, I've been a bridesmaid and as I live in Wales I know how temperamental the weather can be, (snow in late April is quite common) so didn't want to be standing around for hours. Our photographer only does about 7-8 posed photos and the rest are natural which is exactly what we want. 

Research is most definitely the key. Also going to bridal fairs is a huge help! Alot of photographers will give a discount is you book at a fair. Check what is happening in your on area.  The cheapest I found was £400 with the most expensive over £2000. 

7-8 posed photos sounds brilliant:) Hope the welsh weather behaves for your big day. I'm going to do a lot more research and hopefully something cheaper comes up, I m waiting till I get a saturday off work then I m going to check out a couple of the local wedding fairs. 

• FutureMrsWoolgrove wrote (see post):

You can always go for a photography student. They'll likely do it for fairly cheap. There's also inexperienced photographers who are willing to do it for a token amount just to build their portfolio - I see them post on this forum all the time.

Thank you for your reply:) I ll look into finding a student somewhere:) 

I'm getting married in March, could easily have 2 foot on snow outside my house. Lol. It's rare but has been known to happen. 

The last few years March has been glorious. 

I'm getting married in March, could easily have 2 foot on snow outside my house. Lol. It's rare but has been known to happen. 

The last few years March has been glorious. 

I remember snow one st davids day when I was younger. Although it would be freezing, i m sure you could get some beautiful photos if it did snow. 

Fingers crossed late March will be ok. I have probably just jinxed myself and will have a blizzard on 24th March 2018!

Fingers crossed late March will be ok. I have probably just jinxed myself and will have a blizzard on 24th March 2018!

I'm sure you won't have a blizzard to deal with :) 

• Im a photographer based in Norfolk and London, UK. (willing to travel)  

I am currently improving my portfolio for my website...so... 

I seek a cool couple who want something a little different and inexpensive for their wedding day/engagement photos. 

I am willing to offer my service for a very reasonable price as this will be work for my portfolio. 

Please email me for any enquiries / link to my website. 

http://www.josephdyates.com/

[email protected]

• Lucy266Lucy266 Posts: 176

Definitely haggle. When I found a nice photographer who quoted me a good price, I emailed a few others I'd spoken to, letting them know I had decided to go with someone else. This was genuinely my decision at the time but my original top choice offered me a substantial discount when I told her I couldn't afford her. Another very professional guy with years of experience also said he'd be prepared to do a deal. I ended up going with the top choice, who took really amazing mostly candid style shots at a family friend's wedding. 

I have to say everyone I liked was on the expensive side though judging by this thread...£1k seemed cheap! :O I'm in London. 

• I think the only thing you can do really is find one within budget and then ask to see photographs of some of their previous weddings. I still haven't found a photographer BUT I have found some that have really out of focus pictures which I really don't want for my day so I've managed to rule them out.

• Lucy266 wrote (see post):

Definitely haggle. When I found a nice photographer who quoted me a good price, I emailed a few others I'd spoken to, letting them know I had decided to go with someone else. This was genuinely my decision at the time but my original top choice offered me a substantial discount when I told her I couldn't afford her. Another very professional guy with years of experience also said he'd be prepared to do a deal. I ended up going with the top choice, who took really amazing mostly candid style shots at a family friend's wedding. 

I have to say everyone I liked was on the expensive side though judging by this thread...£1k seemed cheap! :O I'm in London. 

I did manage to haggle £500 off our reception price once we d mentioned how many guests would be staying the night before so I m up for haggling with a photographer too. I m a northerner but by the sounds of it that's cheap for London since many near here seem to charge much more than that.