Forum home The wedding budget

photographs

So I'm abit of a photographer myself. Well I take 10000's of pictures of my children and scenery. A very close family member is a professional photographer Who would have been my photographer at my wedding. Unfortunately has now got a illness which stops him from doing what he does best.

ive gone through a lot friends of friends and family to find a alternative photogrpaher but with us wanting to keep our budget as low as possible for this wedding, I just cant find it in me to pay £850 for photos 😩 

I have a professional Nikon camera myself and have told my sister she will have to take it upon herself to do it 😂😂 (joking really).

But no seriously, aren't photos expensive 😩🙈

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

Yes! Yes they are! We aren't having an official photographer either, we would rather spend the money on our rodeo bull and icicle tricycle!  we have several people coming to our wedding who I think take excellent photos in fact at my brothers wedding my cousins husband took better photos than the official one! So we have asked several people to take pictures and let us have some on disk. I'm certain that out of the 100 people attending we will get at least one great one to put on the mantelpiece!

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

Each to their own, your wedding is what you make of it and if you think a friend or family member can take better photos than a professional then that's your choice.

Yes they're expensive but they're the one thing you'll have to look back on from your day in years to come.

We spent £800 on our wedding photography and it was worth every penny.

One of my friends got married 4 years back and decided to use a friend of a friend for their wedding. I don't know why as their wedding cost them £20k so you'd think they would have booked a proper photographer. He took awful pictures and the only photos of her day she has are those that other people took on their phones etc.  She is still upset about that to this day. There are no wedding pics of her on social media, or in her house as she is too embarassed to show them to anyone.

• Nov4VLNov4VL Posts: 27

i know it's a hard one I completely get that but £800 just puts me off so much 😩😩

I'm sure it will come to it where I will find a reasonable price but with such a budget on our wedding it just seems a lot x

• BekhaGBekhaG Posts: 586 New bride

Personally, we paid £1K for our photos and I considered that a bargain for the package and the wonderful, professional photographer we got. Not to mention, our photos are gorgeous and we love looking at our album and having loads of wedding pics up round the house.

I was prepared to go up to £2K to get the right photographer out of a budget of £8K for everything!

Pro photos of your wedding day are a must and an invest. I've seen loads of brides lament not getting a pro on here. Each to their own though, you have to spend your budget on what matters to you.

I would advise though that, at the least, you hire a pro for a couple of hours to capture the ceremony and some pics afterwards.

• BekhaGBekhaG Posts: 586 New bride

Investment not invest, doh!

BekhaG wrote (see post):

Personally, we paid £1K for our photos and I considered that a bargain for the package and the wonderful, professional photographer we got. Not to mention, our photos are gorgeous and we love looking at our album and having loads of wedding pics up round the house.

I was prepared to go up to £2K to get the right photographer out of a budget of £8K for everything!

Pro photos of your wedding day are a must and an invest. I've seen loads of brides lament not getting a pro on here. Each to their own though, you have to spend your budget on what matters to you.

I would advise though that, at the least, you hire a pro for a couple of hours to capture the ceremony and some pics afterwards.

thanks Hun, I certainly agree that capturing the special moments is very important. I have had a great quote from someone I know though a friend who is knocking £300 off so I guess I will go with her offer. I can make my album myself as she said to make it so cheap she would have to knock that off, but I'm sure I'll get some beautiful print off's xx

• I know what you mean, I didn't want to spend a huge amount but we have 1000euros but now h2b also wants a photographer to capture our blessing. I was considering putting an ad out to the local art college and asking if someone needed the work for their portfolio

Victoria197 wrote (see post):

I know what you mean, I didn't want to spend a huge amount but we have 1000euros but now h2b also wants a photographer to capture our blessing. I was considering putting an ad out to the local art college and asking if someone needed the work for their portfolio

That's a very good idea Hun. I'm sure someone would love the opportunity to capture you wedding day ❤❤

• Hello Nov4VL,

Where abouts are you? I'm a professional photographer and might be able to help. I offer a number of different packages to suit all budgets. Please have a look at my website www.leonardo-studios.com

Thank you

•  

Depending on what you are getting  £800 is a reasonable price. 

// <![CDATA[
    window.post_1484118332315_50 = function(win,msg){
    win.postMessage(msg,"*");
    }
    // ]]>
    // <![CDATA[
    window.post_1484118358953_89 = function(win,msg){
    win.postMessage(msg,"*");
    }
    // ]]>
  • SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

I really think it's crazy not to have a pro wedding photographer. Uncle Jim with his SLR just isn't going to do a good job- sorry. Not all photography is the same- taking pictures of nice landscapes isn't the same as photographing weddings. And uncle Jim is also going to be distracted as he's attending the wedding, he isn't going to be working all the time like a proper photographer would be. Pics from peoples phones aren't good enough quality to blow up and hang on yhe wall.

I always think this article is a good read if you're considering not having a pro:

https://www.rocknrollbride.com/2012/01/should-i-book-a-professional-wedding-photographer-or-get-a-friend-to-do-it-for-free-a-cautionary-tale/

• I agree asking a guest is a little unfair to them and puts them in an awkward position if you hate the pictures at the end.

Like I said we have paid €1000 for ours in Italy because we love his work and it's for a full day from prep to first day. My issue was I have been married before and never looked at the pictures after. But if we get that 'one shot' photo it will be worth every penny.

We are also having a small blessing that h2b wants captured but I don't think we can't justify paying for a second photographer 

• John122John122 Posts: 5

It so happened that the photographer did good snapshots in general could not process. So we turned here for help and have to say that we did not regret ithttp://wedding-retouching.com/

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride
    John122 wrote (see post):

It so happened that the photographer did good snapshots in general could not process. So we turned here for help and have to say that we did not regret ithttp://wedding-retouching.com/

FFS, stop spamming the forum!!