Transport VW Vans

I've been looking at transport (I've had problems with this for a while as well as in-law problems too (as some of you may have read) 

I think I've finally come up with a solution! - Woohoo! 

I've come up with the idea of having 2 VW Vans one seating 5 people (which would be my h2b, his parents and best man & girlfriend)

And the other seating myself, my parents, bridesmaid, 3 grandparents and my son.

I've been quotes £700 for this - is this good or bad for price?

• MrsNolanMrsNolan Posts: 683 New bride

That's extortionate! Get taxis or ubers. You said it's about a half hour journey right? Even for an uber luxury you're looking at less than £70 a journey. Uber exec about £40. 

If you want a VW as your wedding car then great, go ahead and have one. But if you end up paying for transport for others, don't splurge, do it as cheaply as possible.

Unless of course you have an unlimited budget, you'll regret wasting money on transport for do many. 

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 1,001 New bride
    MrsNolan2017 wrote (see post):

That's extortionate! Get taxis or ubers. You said it's about a half hour journey right? Even for an uber luxury you're looking at less than £70 a journey. Uber exec about £40. 

If you want a VW as your wedding car then great, go ahead and have one. But if you end up paying for transport for others, don't splurge, do it as cheaply as possible.

Unless of course you have an unlimited budget, you'll regret wasting money on transport for do many. 

Would a Uber car have transport for 11 people though? (then myself and dad get a separate car) 

I've emailed local bus companies too - sadly with no reply yet! 

As for the budget - it's not unlimited, but I was thinking that if I could pay monthly for things (like transport) it wouldn't be so damaging to the wedding fund! lol. 

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,122 New bride

that is crazy money...

We're not having wedding transport. We've got two venues but people can get from A to B themselves, it's only a 5 minute drive. I'm not even having a car, i dont see the point! I'm just getting a lift in my friends ford focus 

Like Laura said, if you have an unlimited budget then great but if not, i would seriously reconsider. 

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

Blimey that's expensive. Our wedding car hire was £280, that was for 2 cars and we had a 30 min drive from the church to our reception venue.

I really don't know why you are even considering paying for guest transport. Just let them all book a taxi and sort it out between themselves and split the cost. It is not your responsibility to get everyone there, they are adults and I'm sure they can manage just for one day.

• MrsNolanMrsNolan Posts: 683 New bride

Couple of 7 seaters or minibuses will do it. You just put in the amount of passengers and they send what you need. 

Honestly, there will be so many things that come up that you'll say I wish I had a few hundred for, and end up regretting booking everyone's transport. 

I'd say get it off your mind until 6 months before the wedding. Your priorities will change by then and you can make a decision closer to the time. You don't need to arrange it so far in advance especially when it's clearly stressing you out. Just step back and don't worry about it.  

• mrspea2bemrspea2be Posts: 275 New bride

I am having two vw campers, luckily its a friend of ours so he's doing it as a gift, but he charges £220 per car for a wedding day

lou x

• I agree with MrsNolan, you do not need to pay that money to transport people around.  I saw from your other thread that your pils are getting awkward, but honestly I would just stop telling them things until you have a firm idea of the day and then decide later, when you know your other costs,  if you want to fork out to get them there.  Otherwise they are adults and can get themselves a taxi really. 

bella2015 wrote (see post):

Blimey that's expensive. Our wedding car hire was £280, that was for 2 cars and we had a 30 min drive from the church to our reception venue.

I really don't know why you are even considering paying for guest transport. Just let them all book a taxi and sort it out between themselves and split the cost. It is not your responsibility to get everyone there, they are adults and I'm sure they can manage just for one day.

I'm only considering paying for the transport because we've had some issues with in future in-laws moaning about how they'd get to the venue and have to pay for a taxi home! Also 7 of the guests don't drive. Hence the thought of having transport paid for the one way journey. 

mrspea2be wrote (see post):

I am having two vw campers, luckily its a friend of ours so he's doing it as a gift, but he charges £220 per car for a wedding day

lou x

Could I be cheeky and ask what areas he covers Lou? x

MrsNolan2017 wrote (see post):

Couple of 7 seaters or minibuses will do it. You just put in the amount of passengers and they send what you need. 

Honestly, there will be so many things that come up that you'll say I wish I had a few hundred for, and end up regretting booking everyone's transport. 

I'd say get it off your mind until 6 months before the wedding. Your priorities will change by then and you can make a decision closer to the time. You don't need to arrange it so far in advance especially when it's clearly stressing you out. Just step back and don't worry about it.  

I'll try and get it off my mind but it's hard when the future in laws won't stop moaning at my h2b about it all. - it's really starting to do both our heads in tbh - they're acting more immature than our 5 year old! 

• mrspea2bemrspea2be Posts: 275 New bride
    Laura349 wrote (see post):
    mrspea2be wrote (see post):

lou x

Could I be cheeky and ask what areas he covers Lou? x

heres a picture hes won awards for his vw. he covers the midlands xx

imageimage

• The in-laws are adults. They, and your other guests, are perfectly capable of sorting themselves out. Book a car for yourself, dad and son (depending on your priorities and budget this only need be a taxi). And maybe something for you h2b (although really him and the best man could drive themselves).

Even if you don't find something else wedding-related to spend that £700 on, think what it could buy your son, or something nice for your home. Spending gets out of control pretty quickly with weddings.

The new Mrs P wrote (see post):

The in-laws are adults. They, and your other guests, are perfectly capable of sorting themselves out. Book a car for yourself, dad and son (depending on your priorities and budget this only need be a taxi). And maybe something for you h2b (although really him and the best man could drive themselves).

Even if you don't find something else wedding-related to spend that £700 on, think what it could buy your son, or something nice for your home. Spending gets out of control pretty quickly with weddings.

I agree with you with spending getting out of control! That £700 could easily go towards the honeymoon or something else. 

• MrsRendall2BMrsRendall2B Posts: 749 New bride

Save the money (either for something wedding related or for your son/home) and let people make their own way there! £700 is a lot for one way transport and could be much better spent.

Tell your PILs they can either make their own way there/back or they can just not come. I wonder how quickly their moaning would stop when faced with that... Surely it's worth whatever taxi fare to see your son marry the love of his life?!

MrsRendall2B wrote (see post):

Save the money (either for something wedding related or for your son/home) and let people make their own way there! £700 is a lot for one way transport and could be much better spent.

Tell your PILs they can either make their own way there/back or they can just not come. I wonder how quickly their moaning would stop when faced with that... Surely it's worth whatever taxi fare to see your son marry the love of his life?!

You've just echoed the exact words myself and h2b said. In our minds they'd travel over hill or high water to see their son get married! They never let us forget that their daughter just went off and got married without even inviting them.

We're just so fed up of them saying "but what about us?" "Can't you get married somewhere closer?" "I'm not paying for the taxi home it will be really expensive!" We are very tempted to say to them that if they're going to complain then they'd not bother coming - the shock may make them stop complaining. 

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

I agree with the others in that you can get a cheaper car if you must pay for them.

If your question is more whether £700 is reasonable for what you're getting, I'm paying £250 for a old style wedding car that seats 3 people to take us to the ceremony and back via some beauty spots to take photos. Alongside that I'm paying £50 for a poshed up taxi to take the reminding BMs and MIL to the ceremony. We're having our drinks reception at the ceremony site and so rather than people not drink or people drink and drive, we're paying £250 for a 53-seat coach to the reception venue 6 miles away (it's about a 20 mins journey). So all in I'm paying £550 for transport which we don't think is bad considering a vintage bus company quoted us £500 just for the guest transport. 

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

£700!!! No chance!!!

I was quoted £780 and for two vintage cars. I decided against paying that, the bridesmaid are now being driven by my future father in law and I'm having a vintage car. 

While I am completely sympathetic to the situation with your PIL I think you need to put you and your h2b first. Forget your PIL, forget the other guests. They are all adults and perfectly capable of finding their own transport if they want to be at the wedding. You can only do so much. I wouldn't bother with the headache of extra transport.