Forum home The wedding budget

Has anyone else had a later service to help reduce the budget?

I have a friend who got married at 5pm and then the ceremony went straight to the party. I wasn't there as I was travelling but wish I had of been because now I'm considering doing this or a wedding abroad to cut the cost. 

My ideal amount to spend would be 10K, but if I have to I will push to 12k. I wouldn't want to spend anything more than this for one day. I just wondered if anyone has done this , or been to a wedding like this?? Do you miss out the speeches too if so? And I'm guessing the deal with food is maybe just canopies and then a buffet later on. 

The issue is although this sounds good I wouldn't want my wedding to just feel like a party. It needs to have some memorable moments of course! Doing this worries me a little bit as the shorter ceremony with less guests takes less time and then the party with the evening guests might just feel like you have only a few hours to get around the room to see everyone!

Any thoughts on this or other ideas for cutting the wedding budget?? 

• Just decide what you are willing to spend on each element and stick to it.

My budget was 7k and I am due to come in at 6.5k. This includes:

Hot buffet for 75, cold buffet for 90, half a bottle of wine each, welcome drink, toast drink, room dresser, 3 bridesmaids, DJ entertainment, cake and cake made from cheese and a sweetie table, rings, wedding dress, groom suit hire and best man / Fob suit hire, flowers, favours.

We are asking for money (if people want to give a gift) and this will be used for honeymoon.

I get 3 quotes for everything to ensure quality and cost..

• MMine is quite simular to this. We're getting married at 3.30pm then straight into 1 after do. We do have 200 guests but only shopping 1 round of food around 6pm. Still doing speeches etc. Just not bothering with night time food. We are putting out nibble bits on tables about 9pm. Nut, breads, dips etc. Also using the wedding cake as desert. Managed to haggle free platage (hope that is the right term) and free cream to go with it from venue ! 

I'm at tottaly nerd when it comes to the budget sheets. We haven't got much left to get and were looking at no more than 12k. So far at 10k. But only have favours and little things like guest book etc to get. 

Try and haggle on EVERYTHING ! We have probs saved around 1.5k doing this. 

Hope this helps. 

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

I think depending on what sort of venue you are after then you can easily do a full day for £10-12k and depends on what time of year you are looking at doing and day of the week etc. I would have a think about what type of venue you want and then get prices before deciding on time of day as you might find you can get more for your money than you think. Did you have any ideas on venue yet? 

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

Your budget is more than healthy enough for a full day wedding. We had a church wedding  (cost around  £600) then a wedding breakfast/evening reception at a country hotel - the cost for the reception including all food, dj, alcohol for guests, room hire etc was £3300. So it can definitely be done within your budget. We had 65 day guests and 100 evening guests.

• My best friend got married at 4pm, we had drinks while they had photos and then dinner around 6ish, after the meal there were drinks in the bar, but no entertainment.  She had 40 guests for the whole thing and it is one of the best weddings I ever went to, it felt perfect for the couple and as a guest I didn't feel anything was missing and really enjoyed the wedding, everything wrapped up around midnight.

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

We are marrying at 3pm and having a 3 course sit down around 5pm as well as bacon, sausage and falafel rolls around 9pm (along with cheeses, chutneys, crackers etc), we have the same budget as you. Our time of day was not picked for budget reasons, it was picked because I personally hate the lull in between the 'stages' that sometimes happens when everyone is just waiting for the next bit, so I wanted a shorter time frame. 

• MrsBell2Be2018 wrote (see post):

MMine is quite simular to this. We're getting married at 3.30pm then straight into 1 after do. We do have 200 guests but only shopping 1 round of food around 6pm. Still doing speeches etc. Just not bothering with night time food. We are putting out nibble bits on tables about 9pm. Nut, breads, dips etc. Also using the wedding cake as desert. Managed to haggle free platage (hope that is the right term) and free cream to go with it from venue ! 

I'm at tottaly nerd when it comes to the budget sheets. We haven't got much left to get and were looking at no more than 12k. So far at 10k. But only have favours and little things like guest book etc to get. 

Try and haggle on EVERYTHING ! We have probs saved around 1.5k doing this. 

Hope this helps. 

Sorry if this comes across as rude - but do your guests know your food plan? 

It's a running joke at most weddings that people don't eat tea because there will be a buffet! Ha x

• Hi Leighann140, firstly congratulations on your forth coming wedding.

We got married this year in Italy, and getting married abroad is no longer the cheaper option, following Brexit and the weak pound, weddings are no longer cheaper abroad, its pound for euro at the minute.

I have been married twice and both times I have had a 4pm ceremony the first time was to reduce costs and the second time was because we only had 13 guests. I did not have any evening guests at either wedding.

The ceremony and photos will take the same time whether you have 10 guests or 100, so the day wont go any quicker and you will still have memorable moments.

A £10-£12k budget is very healthy and you can have either a late wedding with just one meal or have both day and evening. The difference is what you have to cut back on or can splurge on. Make a list of must haves as this may help.