Cake!!

Has anyone had a supermarket wedding cake for their wedding? 

Ive just been browsing cake ideas and like the look of some from supermarkets but was unsure if they’d taste as good as one from a cake maker?! 

• MrsJamesMrsJames Posts: 406 New bride

We got a couple of the iced fruit cake slabs from Marks & Spencer to be served alongside our actual cake for the evening buffet. We've had loads of people tell us how nice the fruit cake was and ask where it was from. 

I hope this helps.

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I personally think the likes of tesco and asda cakes are pretty crap. Ill eat them but theyre nowhere near like a cake maker strandard, assuming its a good baker

M&S are really nice though, I got my sons birthday cake there and it was lovely, and a friend had the wedding cake bars served at her wedding and they were also good.

• I'd go for an M&S cake personally. They're good quality and well priced. I wouldn't go for an ASDA or a Tesco cake, as I've had their bakery birthday cakes before and they can be quite dry and lacking in flavour, but the M&S ones are genuinely tasty.

We're actually considering the Colin and Connie caterpillar bride and groom cakes from M&S alongside a selection of doughnuts, brownies and other baked goods. I think they're adorable.

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

My sister had an M&S wedding cake a few years ago and it was very nice, icing was white chocolate i think and had a lovely flavour, still looked like a 'proper' wedding cake as well decoration was nice etc.

I love Colin and Connie though :)

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 1,001 New bride

I love the Colin and Connie cakes 😂 I’ve seen one on the M&S website that is quite nice (I’ve posted a pic) it comes in at £199 though 😐 

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Ive not eaten  a supermarket wedding cake, but have heard people they often aren't as deep as you might expect, so would double check dimensions. it could be a good way to save some money I never eat cake at weddings.

• My (almost) mother in law is making our 3 tier wedding cake but she has bought an M&S fruit cake to use as the top layer to save the faff of making a fruit cake from scratch with its many ingredients! We tried one before and it was lovely :)  

• MrsNolanMrsNolan Posts: 683 New bride

Go for m&s or Waitrose x

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 1,001 New bride

Thanks everyone, I’ll have a look at Waitrose and M&S :)

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

I ordered a Birthday cake for my mum from Waitrose and it wa lovely! I did consider both Waitrose and M&S wedding cakes but ended up ordering a cake when visiting a wedding fayre. 

• MrsTraceyMrsTracey Posts: 837 New bride

We ordered samples from m&s, we found the vanilla sponge a bit dry but the chocolate was lovely! We're not really fruit cake people so didn't try that. As it happens we now want a cheese tower in place of a cake! X