Small wedding budget help

Hi! I got engaged on Friday... so excited to start planning!

we recently bought a house and have a small child and will be paying for everything ourself and realistically it needs to be done on a tiny budget... like maybe 3k..: (my mum has said she’ll buy my dress). 

Its ran a second wedding for both of us so small and intimate is the name of the game... can you share your tips for a gorgeous wedding on a tiny budget?! 

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

Use your contacts. If you have any friends of family who are crafty, ask for help with making things, any good bakers? See if they'll make your cake etc all instead of wedding presents :)

Also, our invites are coming from vistaprint. Their invites are beautiful, lots of options and they regularly have offers (all invites and similiar are 25% off at the mo for example), you can upgrade the card, the envelopes etc if you want.

Keeping the guest list small is key, because no matter how savy you are with everything else, if your guest list if huge the budget will get blown lol

High street, wed2be etc for a wedding dress

Those are off the top of my head :)

• Thank you so much. 

We have loads of great crafty friends, one has offered to do the cake for cost of ingredients, ones husband is a photographer so currently begging him... one of my friends is an aspiring florist and does weddings and events floristry on the side and has said She’ll do the flowers and will be max £150...

H2B’s best friend is in a band so hoping they might do some entertainment! 

It sounds so cheeky written down!

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 987 New bride

I agree! Trying and call on friends for favours! 

Weve got a budget of 2-3k (trying to do it for around 2 though!) we’ve called in friends favours with the cake, photography and helping with making things! 

I got my dress in a sale for £100! 

• Congratulations on your engagement, we're getting married on a smaller budget too, 

For our venue we are getting married at the local registry office (we're not religious and it costs half as opposed to getting a registrar to another venue)

We're also having our reception at my other halfs sports club, which is costing us much less than a barn / country house would. 

Consider if you would be happy to do anything diy like centerpieces or as mentioned above invites, 

See If you can cut anything you feel unnecessary like favours or really expensive gifts for family / bridal party. 

Also I've found it really helpful to ask if people are happy to be paid by direct debit as it limits really significant amounts all having to come out at once. 

Happy planning! 

• Not really a money saving tip but make a new email. [email protected] 

Get all your wedding stuff sent there instead of your everyday email. 

Keep both wedding related stuff separate to everyday stuff. 

Best tip I was ever told ! Xx

• lauren318lauren318 Posts: 482

Definitely shop around, it drove me mad but i definitely made savings. Also do things crafty where you can, it adds personal touches and saves a fortune. Check online for sales for dresses etc.

Things we saved money on

Cake- This was made by my MILS friend

Car- Wedding gift from SIL

Dress- £100 previously worn

Bridesmaid Dresses- On sale from Little Mistress £40 each

Also i noticed getting married earlier in the day meant more expense as we had to hire the room for day and night and have 2 lots of food.

Good luck x

• Like others have suggested do as much as you can yourself. Draft in friends and family to help. I'm fairly crafty as is OH so our wedding is very much DIY. I bought all the stationary from Hobby Craft for around £20 that includes everything to make our own invites and the save the date cards. We've been sourcing decorations and favours from eBay really cheaply (favour bags bought for 50p! from eBay) Home Bargains I found a load of wedding bits in their sale. Shop around!

Keeping numbers down will ultimately keep the cost down too. It most definitely can be done. Good luck x

• ZazoraZazora Posts: 17

Congrats for getting married soon :)

I really understand where your coming from. For me it was a very similar situation ... We handled it though. A friend of mine just invited her family and best friends, rented a small room for the party. The catering was done by the family, even the cake was made by them (her sister works at a bakery). She lent a very fantastic wedding dress, she bought her ring online (at https://www.baunat.com/en/engagement ) instead of shopping it real (she told me, this saved her a lot of money) ... and those things :)

If you need some more tips, you can contact me of course :)

• Congratulations on your engagement! :D

As for the tiny budget wedding...

We're doing the same! (£1k).

No more than 30 guests, DIY invites and orders of service (I work for a printing company!), a friend should be making the cake (but is pregnant and due around the wedding so may have to re-think), I've asked another friend to play cello for the aisle walk and while we're signing the register, and we're using the hall attached to the church for a short "coffee and cake" reception.

We're having a dry wedding, which most people wouldn't have, but it's such a short event, it's in the church, and I don't drink anyway so... it seems weird to us to pay for everyone else to get drunk when we have to drive to the honeymoon in the afternoon! But that in itself is savings us literally HUNDREDS of pounds, even for a small number of guests. We also don't need to worry about transport between the church and venue as it's the same place.

We're not having a photographer and we're also limiting when people can take pictures (and request no one posts on social media seeing as neither of us are on any sites!).

The whole point is the ceremony, not the reception, for us. We're having a small, humble wedding. No dress worth thousands (it's an £80 high street dress), or fancy shoes (£5 satin pumps), no diamonds just plain titanium bands. No wedding party. Silk flowers instead of real, with only a small bouquet and buttonhole (both DIYd), and four pew decorations (also DIYd). No car - the church/venue is a 3 minute walk from our house! Also for the guests - no presents, and come as you are - no need to dress fancy.

My friend is a hairdresser so will do my hair for me, and my SIL works in makeup so is going to show me some trials so I can do my own on the day.

It's not going to please everybody, but it's our wedding so we'll do it our way! We COULD have a big expensive wedding but we don't WANT to, so it's on a small budget.

So I guess what I'm saying is this: don't worry about your budget - you do exactly what you want and don't do things because they're 'traditional' or 'expected' - nobody NEEDS favours, for example. 

(I'm not slamming anybody's choice of wedding - if you want a big one, go for it! It's just not for us). 

Definitely call on your friends and family - they'll honestly love to get involved! Just be sure to give them a VERY clear vision on what you need from them otherwise you could end up in a few awkward situations. We're going for silk instead of real flowers because we can DIY in advance, and keep them afterwards as mementoes. We've found our wedding rings on Etsy for less than £50 for both. Definitely look at what you can DIY, but it's worth thinking also about the three most important elements of your day and investing a bit more in getting those bits done professionally I think. Also, we're getting married in June-ish time but already looking for stuff in the Christmas/January sales to save the pennies!

• I think a lot depends on what you want from your day. As lots of people have said, asking guests to help out with making things and having a DIY style wedding is one way to have a lovely personal day on a budget. However if that’s not your style something else that might be worth looking into is private dining in a nice hotel or restaurant after a register office ceremony. This is what we are doing and because there’s no venue fee, we are managing to treat 50 of our nearest and dearest to a lovely meal and drinks in a beautiful hotel for less than the cost of venue hire elsewhere. An extra bonus is because the hotel is quite elaborately decorated already, we won’t need to spend much st all on decoration. We are then going on to a local pub for dancing in the evening, where we will lay on some food and people can buy their own drinks. Our budget is larger than yours but still relatively small (£5000) and we have sacrificed a lot of things that people care about such as a photographer and bridal party as these things simply aren’t our priority, but we have spent money on extras such as transport between the venues and nice wine. I guess what I’m trying to say is that if you think about what is really important to you and try and avoid only looking at ‘typical’ wedding venues then you can get a lot more for your money.

Good luck :) I’m sure whatever you decide upon will be wonderful and, corny as it is, I do truly believe that the loveliest weddings are the ones where you can feel the happiness between the couple and of their loved ones, and that’s something money can’t buy!

• I think everyone has covered the main things - calling in favours, smaller guest list and DIY what you can.

Our budget is between £5-8k, I think we’ll end up nearer the top end, which is not ideal but still small by wedding industry standards. Our venue was doing a package for 40 people, canapés, 3 course meal and a glass of wine plus toast wine for £2019. We’ve ended up paying more because the guest list is now over 70 people and we’re sticking extra booze in, but it’s still a fantastic deal. We’re not bothering with cars as it’s all in one place. My bridesmaid dresses cost £24 each in the Quiz sale, I’ve just bought them faux fur stoles for £5 each from Peacocks. My little nieces’ flower girl dresses were from the monsoon sale less than half price at £30 each. My dress was over budget, but my shoes were £15 in a closing down sale. We’re toying with asking the menfolk to wear a suit they already have and just buying coordinating ties in a sale or from ebay(China). My sister in law is doing the flowers for cost, my niece is doing my hair and I’m thinking I’ll either make my own cake or get a M&S / other high street place. Mother in law is doing the invitations.

We did save the dates because our date is so close to Christmas, and we got a wowcher for photo magnets so it worked out fairly reasonable, but if I had my time again I’d probably not bother and just send the photo as an email/text/Facebook thing - they’re not *really* necessary. 

Our photographer was around mid range price wise, but because we asked nicely he offered us a discount. I think being prepared to ask and negotiate is a big thing, not something we’re naturals at unfortunately! 
  • longhaullonghaul Posts: 22 New bride
    my advice:
    * look for venues that have free hire if you use their cash bar (many pubs have this and some are beautiful)
    * paperless post is great as postage is always quite a big cost
    * buy your dress either online (not a knock off but from say lindybop, jjhouse or light in the box) or from the high street or a sample sale
    * think outside the box for food like pizza, afternoon tea, bbq, food van etc...

£3000 is totally doable though

• lush224lush224 Posts: 562 New bride
    My wedding came in at less than 3k. Reception- talk to nice country pubs who do food etc, we managed to get a sit down meal, welcome drinks and wine with the meal for £1400. They also gave us an evening room and Buffet cheap. 
    Draw on friends and family for help, someone crafty did our invites, a friend of the family did photography etc 
    I got my bridesmaids dresses from a high street store wedding range and was much cheaper than a wedding shop. 
    Got my wedding shoes, veil online much cheaper. 
    I probably spent too much on favours with miniature alcohol bottles and wish I didn’t bother as most got left on the tables. I went to another wedding where the favour was a foiled chocolate heart and an envelope with a personal poem, cheaper and nicer. 
    I had an amazing wedding day abc guests commented on the fact the drinks were pub prices rather than expensive hotel prices.