Money Money Money

Hey girlies just a bit of fun (hopefully not too depressing )

How much did you spend on the big day? And if you had that cash back what would you love to spend it on? 

Not been my turn yet but as we're plodding along and totting it all up, I keep thinking cor all this on one (although yes very special) day... 

We could've had a once in a lifetime cruise/holiday/new car/new home even 

What are your fantasy spends with that big day jackpot?? 

Xx

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

Ours will total around 14k by the end with around 12k bring done by us and the other by family. What annoys me most is that we are having an out of season wedding, have no transport, my dress is a sample dress, we arnt having everything we want and it's still costing so much! (This is due to the food being very important to us so spending a lot on it, having 9 men to dress in traditional tails thanks to h2b haha and a guest list of 100 due to big and close families)

Id go on a mega luxury holiday for 3 weeks haha

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,471 New bride

We haven't had ours yet, but think the total will be around £40k, including a mini-moon but excluding our main honeymoon.  If we hadn't done it then the money would probably have gone on IVF or going towards making us mortgage free !  I guess I would actually love to spend it on IVF, as that would mean we have our longed for baby.  

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,030 New bride

My first wedding was £25k, my current wedding is coming in at £11k all paid for by us. 

If I had the money back I'd go on a lovely long holiday and use the rest to have longer maternity leave then I'd be able to have at the moment 

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

We’ve budgeted 12k not including the honeymoon but I think we will go over. 

• Ours is going to come in at under £5000 for the wedding day

My first wedding nearly 20 years ago was around £12k (apparently the average then was around £15k) and I can honestly say we didn't have anything that time around that I'm going to miss this time

We've been fairly brutal about only spending money on the things we need and/or really want.... totally refuse to pay the W tax wherever we don't absolutely need to, or to spend huge amounts of money on things like the invites and fresh flowers that are only good for a few hours, or on all the little bits and details that seem so incredibly important (and expensive!) at the time but hardly anyone notices anyway.... lol.  We would rather have some extra cash to treat ourselves with things like a nice hotel the nights before and after the wedding, and to spend on our home.  

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,202

Having consulted my spreadsheet, my wedding was £16,904, and honeymoon was £9,233. So total £26,137. That would been about half what we need for a deposit for a house... Since the wedding we have saved just about this amount so would have been ready to buy by now if it weren't for the wedding. But it was a wonderful day, I am so thrilled with the day and now being a Mrs, and I just adore my photos which are literally covering my flat walls. So I don't regret it for a second. 

• Our budget is £25k but I can See us going over that already, I am going to try my best not to! 

If the money was not going on our wedding, we would be making overpayments on our mortgage for sure!! xx

• MrsMcSMrsMcS Posts: 235

Ours is coming in at around £20k including honeymoon and spending money, £12k of that from us and the rest from our parents. If we weren't spending it on the wedding, it would be going to our "next house" savings and a holiday.

• My initial budget was £15k. Clearly i was very optimistic and currently we are on £25k minus rings, stationery and a honeymoon.

In the grand scheme of things it sounds ridiculous but I've never been one to want a house, I've only ever wanted a big princess wedding 🤣 ... it is a once in a lifetime opportunity and i'm going for it 🤣🤣 

• MrsMGMrsMG Posts: 359

Our wedding was cheap and cheerful and we loved it. Our big day only came to £1,500 approx. We saved money by using our own DSLR camera, I already bought my dress years beforehand out of a charity shop (it wasn't a traditional wedding dress), he got his kilt outfit from Amazon, limo was only £100 since the driver is my mum's neighbour's, played our own music at the reception and people used our phone as a jukebox and played whatever they wanted as well, cake was quite expensive but worth it, we got married at the town hall and then had a buffet at the same place my mum got married so we got a good deal, we got our wedding rings off of Amazon since we aren't big fans of jewellery and it's what they symbolises that matters more to us, wedding was small (40 guests) and we didn't go on a honeymoon since I'm a carer to my grandparents and have to available for them. We couldn't justify spending a fortune on one day. 

We ended up getting £1200 as a wedding gift from his dad so most of the price of the wedding, we got back. We weren't expecting that at all. That money went towards paying our cats dental surgeries (£700!!!!) and then we bought a new 50 inch telly with the leftovers.

• Our wedding came in at £4,500 not including a honeymoon. But we were away for 3 days when we got married.  No guests but had fabulous photographers. 

It probably put the money towards moving house.  

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

We are coming in at 10K including honeymoon. Breakdown is £8500 on wedding on £1500 on the honeymoon. 

I hate spending that money. It a sickening amount to spend on one day. 

If I could have the money I would buy a new car. 

• When we first looked at wedding budgets we were thinking arounf the 7k mark. But, as our date is so close to bonfire night we wanted fireworks too. There was no way we could get those and the other bits we wanted for that amount so our budget was pushed up to 8k. I was hoping not to go over this, but I can see myself going over by another £500-£1000. Luckily we’re having help from both sets of families so can afford to do this. Still, I think that’s a lot of money for one day so I am looking at what we can cut back on to make some additional savings (I did want LOVE letters and an LED dance floor, but I’m not sure if it’s really worth the money now). And our budget doesn’t include the cost of a honeymoon as we’re asking guests to give us money towards this if they want yo get us something for the wedding.

We would put the money towards a house deposit if we weren’t spending it on the wedding. 

• Our wedding is currently at £23k, with £19k being covered by parental contributions (we're very lucky). If we'd had to pay for our wedding ourselves things would have been very different! When we thought we were paying for the whole day ourselves we had budgeted £12k. As we had more money we splashed out on a more expensive reception venue, nicer food, lots more booze and a fancy hotel room for two nights. We're also having 100 all day guests (we'd originally planned for 60).

Our honeymoon is £8k, which we are paying for ourselves.

My h2b already had a house before we met, so the money would have gone on home improvements (our house needs a lot of work). In a fantasy world though, we'd have taken six months off work and gone travelling around the world.

• Julia101Julia101 Posts: 162 New bride

We'll end up spending about 14k (3.5 of which was a generous gift) but if I had that much money to spend on anything.... It would be a trip of a lifetime either to Antarctica or the Galapagos islands 😉 I don't think we'll regret it though, the day should be wonderful, I'll let you know in six months time 😄

• We're budgeting around £5000 for everything! 50 guests daytime and 90 - 100 night time. No honeymoon though as we won't afford it...maybe the year after we could have a holiday.

I feel like we're tight on the budget and wish we could spend more but we're struggling to get the money for it so anywhere we can save we are doing

would probably like to decorate our home and have a holiday if we weren't spending it on a wedding but that will have to wait :D

• My wedding cost as little as possible!

£135 for the ceremony

£250 for the hall and DJ hire

£112 for chair covers 

£50 for flowers

£80 for cake

£75 for first drink 

Meal was a gift from my parents  £330

Buffet was a gift from in laws £150

Suit was a gift from in laws £90

Ds suit £50

H2b shoes £120

Dress was gift from in laws £100

Buttonholes £25

Bouquet £35

Shoes £95

Hair £25

Photographer £100 gift from sister in law

We were gifted £150 by my other sister in law

Invitations were a gift from parents but were handmade and cost around £40

Candy cart cost £125

We had a mini moon at loch lomond in my parents caravan and used wedding money for our days out and meals. 

So minus our gift of £150, the total cost of the wedding was £1837...but in reality we paid £1007. 

If we could have the money back we'd probably have used it to go on holiday or do some things to the house but in reality I'm pretty happy with being able to have a wedding on that budget!

• LizzieBHLizzieBH Posts: 196
    Beth78 wrote (see post):

We are having a ‘cheap’ wedding of £7k but I’m angry at that amount. Not because I don’t want to spend it (that’s our budget, due to new baby and buying our first house) but because of what we are getting for that amount. When I set out I thought we had a healthy budget of £7k, but We might as well have had peanuts! If I had everything I thought I would get it would cost about £12k, my dream wedding would be about £30k 

anyway if if I had that money back I’d have 2 weeks in Mauritius for my honeymoon. 

I know exactly what you mean! We'll be spending about £16k in the end I think, plus £8k on the honeymoon, which I don't mind as we're lucky to have both savings and significant parental contributions. But what really upsets me is spending that much and STILL feeling like we have to make compromises at every turn. How is it possible for that much money to feel like a shoestring?!?

• All in all, about £16k with a bit left over but £3k of that was my dress! Mini-moon included but not honeymoon. I have managed to get everything that I wanted and a bit more in that number and I am super pleased about it. 

• Our budget is around £6000, with £5000 parental contributions and £1000 saved from us (we're dropping to a one income family and making sure the kids don't miss out on anything is more important than a wedding).

OH's family are paying for little bits here and there (which will definitely add up), but means it's hard to factor in to the total amount spent.

I resent paying this much, we've went for cheaper options (although still what we want) and don't feel as if we are missing out on anything. However, if we had booked everything without the 'W' word in front the total cost would be less than half.

I'd keep the money to tide us over until OH is back earning again.

• The wedding is still 8mnths away and I haven't as yet bought my dress so I don't know what the final costs will be, but we're fairly crafty and so the wedding is very much a DIY affair. We've kept costs down by making our own invites (£20 spent on materials) making our own bouquets from foam flowers (£30 spent) but even with this, the final costs could be coming to somewhere between 7K-10K depending on dress/bridesmaids dress costs. 

With what we're spending we'd probably have put it towards a deposit on a bigger house. Ours is small and we're rapidly outgrowing it now with 2 growing boys in the house! 

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

Ours will come in at about £17k, my parents are paying for half of the venue costs which will probably be about £5k in total, this includes a few days away after the wedding but we aren't having a full on honeymoon.

I can't actually believe we are spending all this money on one day - if I think about it too much I feel a bit sick about it but it's way too late to change it now!

Would buy a new car and pay some off the mortgage if I had it spare!!

• CFWCFW Posts: 234

Such a good question!

We are looking at the moment at around £18K (hopefully less if can manage budget well) but that will be hiked by by £5K for the honeymoon and minimoon planned, so likely £23K all in. Which sounds so crazy to me. We've made cost-effective decisions and it's still proving to be so expensive! I really admire you brides for doing it under £10K! 

To answer your question, thinking of 18K (would keep the holiday ;)) I would probably get a new bathroom and put rest against the mortgage! How boring!

• Cat93Cat93 Posts: 109 New bride

Ugh it is a whole money making businesses! I think we will end up spending £40k without any form of honey moon - that will have to wait. 

We made the decision to get married at my parents (they are making a large financial contribution of just over half the cost) and they have a beautiful garden, we thought it would be cheaper to get married at home but how wrong we were. 

Within the 40k we have definitely cut corners as well, no videographer, gone for the mid range package with the photographer, changed our menu to something less fancy and kept the number of guests down during the day. plus cutting corners with grooms suits etc so we have by no means gone "all out". I sound like an utterly spoilt brat when I say how much we are spending so I tend to just keep it to myself!

Beth78 wrote (see post):
    Cat93 wrote (see post):

Ugh it is a whole money making businesses! I think we will end up spending £40k without any form of honey moon - that will have to wait. 

We made the decision to get married at my parents (they are making a large financial contribution of just over half the cost) and they have a beautiful garden, we thought it would be cheaper to get married at home but how wrong we were. 

Within the 40k we have definitely cut corners as well, no videographer, gone for the mid range package with the photographer, changed our menu to something less fancy and kept the number of guests down during the day. plus cutting corners with grooms suits etc so we have by no means gone "all out". I sound like an utterly spoilt brat when I say how much we are spending so I tend to just keep it to myself!

Not being mean just wondering how you are spending that much and getting married in your parents house and cutting corners? genuinely wondering no accusations by the way

I wonder everyday... I suppose I do have quite expensive taste...so although I have made compromises and not gone for the most expensive food etc I have still gone for a highly respected caterer. Plus the whole idea of getting married at my parents means that absolutely every thing that you could ever need has to be bought in. The marquee is about 8k, the flooring alone is 2k in the marquee because it has to be raised up due to uneven ground and it is going to be October and there grass doesn't drain well so might be damp etc. Photographer was £2200, Marquee about £8k DJ/Band £1600, Catering £8k, Waiting/Bar Staff £1300 the list goes on and on! So basically yeah I could have kept it tighter admitably but i can blame mine and my mums (main bill payers) expensive taste 

• Beth78 wrote (see post):
    Cat93 wrote (see post):

Not being mean just wondering how you are spending that much and getting married in your parents house and cutting corners? genuinely wondering no accusations by the way

Sorry to butt in, I know this question wasn’t itended for me! But I can imagine it costing so much because, unlike venues, all of the tables, chairs, crockery, linen etc will need to be either bought or hired. Then you’ve got the caters to hire in as well as waiters and any other staff needed. And that’s without any of the other wedding things like dress, photographer, flowers etc. 

Nottinghamshirebride wrote (see post):
    Beth78 wrote (see post):
    Cat93 wrote (see post):

Sorry to butt in, I know this question wasn’t itended for me! But I can imagine it costing so much because, unlike venues, all of the tables, chairs, crockery, linen etc will need to be either bought or hired. Then you’ve got the caters to hire in as well as waiters and any other staff needed. And that’s without any of the other wedding things like dress, photographer, flowers etc. 

Got it in one! I knew my post would come across as me looking like a spoilt snob but if you knew me you would know I am quite the opposite. Granted I am extremely lucky to be given some money towards the wedding and I am grateful for that everyday but as you say absolutely every knife salt and pepper shaker, glass, cloth and piece of toilet roll I have to pay for 

• AmyrosieAmyrosie Posts: 134 New bride

I might retrospetively delete this post, as I’d be mortified if any of my guests read this, but we’ve also spent £40k. 

Admittedly it is the wedding of my dreams, and I’ve had everything from stately home venue to designer dress and fireworks. 

We’ve had contributions from both parents and we’ll only be doing this once!!!

If I had the money back, i‘d spend 6 months travelling the world. 

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,471 New bride
    Amyrosie wrote (see post):

I might retrospetively delete this post, as I’d be mortified if any of my guests read this, but we’ve also spent £40k. 

Admittedly it is the wedding of my dreams, and I’ve had everything from stately home venue to designer dress and fireworks. 

We’ve had contributions from both parents and we’ll only be doing this once!!!

If I had the money back, i‘d spend 6 months travelling the world. 

Honestly, I don't think you should feel any guilt.  I am spending the same- probably more once we pay for the "real" honeymoon, and although it is a lot of money, I do believe I am spending it wisely.  I didn't go for the massively expensive designer dress- all in I think it will work out around £2k- but we did splash out massively on the venue, photography, food, and various other bits that will make the day special.  We are keeping other things to a minimum such as transport etc, and actually I will be selling some of the bits after the wedding if I can, to recoup costs.  I think a lot of us who are spending more know how fortunate we are so I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing- it is just we are lucky.  

• MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,262 New bride

We’re currently at £25k without a honeymoon. Final total will be £26k roughly. If we didn’t have a wedding to plan then the money would have gone on a deposit for a house.