How much did your alterations cost?

I bought my dress knowing I would need alteration as I bought off the peg. The woman said my alterations would cost around 150 as I was wary off buying a dress that didn't fit, but the cost seems a bit high.

I need the lenth taken up, the waist taken in a small belt added to the waist

the dress has sleeves so a little adjustment their too. 

price in £400 in the north east...

the dress is made of lace and I appreciate it's s lot of work but does that sound right?  

Thanks

• Mrs2018Mrs2018 Posts: 398

I'e brought a dress off the peg too and being qouted around £300 but no fixes price until go so measurements are taken. That includes, length taken up (it' priced per layer), corset back putting in, chest adjusted, a belt taken off and another one adding. I'm also north west and have a lace dress x

• I have a lace princess dress and was quoted £125 for alterations by the dress shop owner. That was for the length to be taken up and for it to be taken in at the waist.

I haven't contacted the seamstress yet, I have been meaning to do this for a while but haven't got round to it yet 😬 I have budgeted around £150 for alterations so I'm hoping they don't charge me any more than that! 

• I used the seamstress recommended by the shop that quoted £150. The seamstress has said they obviously just wanted to sell me the dress as it was 4 x too big for me. I was told It was 2 sizes bigger which wasn't a problem to have it made smaller. It was £300 to have it taken in and the length altered. Then another £80 for the shoulders adjusted and a belt to be added. I agreed to have it done now after my 2nd fitting the seamstress is saying she is struggling to take it any smaller (as it is still big on me)I'm felling a bit frustrated have I been sold a dress that wasnt suitable. i wouldn't have agreed to the alterations at the time if she said she might not be able to get it to fit and pay such a large amount for it not to fit 😭

OOh no! What a horrid position to be in! I think if they agreed the alterations and now can't meet them they would be liable to refund you. If she refunds could you sell the dress and look for one in a smaller one in the sample sales? X

• Libby13Libby13 Posts: 244 New bride

£180 to have the dress made strapless, cups sewn into the bust, repair a couple of tears in the train, fix the catch and a button on the back, add a button for bustle, take Up the length and take in the waist and bust 

Libby13 wrote (see post):

£180 to have the dress made strapless, cups sewn into the bust, repair a couple of tears in the train, fix the catch and a button on the back, add a button for bustle, take Up the length and take in the waist and bust 

That's an amazing price for all that!! I forgot my price includes a bustle aswell x

• Libby13 wrote (see post):

Hi, please could you share the details of this seamstress?

Thank you!!

• Sophie162Sophie162 Posts: 6

As well as being a new bride, I also work in a bridal shop and that sounds very fair and reasonable for such work, as the lace usually has to be unpacked thread by thread - the work being done to the dress and then hand stitched back on! 

x

• AmyrosieAmyrosie Posts: 134 New bride

Hem taken up, waist nipped in and bustle added. No lace, but silk organza skirts = £260. 

• Suzie1974Suzie1974 Posts: 126

Mine was £300. Mermaid lace style dress.

Hem line taken up, 5 layers of underskirt.

Bustle and buttons strengthened at back of dress.

Wasit taken in

Bra cups added.