Wedding flowers

I have my heart set on flower up the staircase of my venue HOWEVER just had the florist quote of £450-£600. 

Should I got for it, or is this just getting stupid?

• MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,299 New bride
    Amyrosie wrote (see post):

I have my heart set on flower up the staircase of my venue HOWEVER just had the florist quote of £450-£600. 

Should I got for it, or is this just getting stupid?

We was quoted £500. We’ve managed to do something different to bring the price to £250. For me it was important to have the staircase flowers. Depends if your budget can stretch and how important it is to you to have it.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,454 New bride

You can make them quite easily out of real or fake foliage and flowers - cut a long length of string, wire foliage and flowers to it, then wrap around the banister.

I wouldn't personally pay that amount but if you tell your florist the budget for the banister they may be able to tailor one to you - perhaps with more foliage and less flowers.

• KittyFiennesKittyFiennes Posts: 975 New bride

If the staircase is a focal point of your venue and/or you plan to use it in a lot of photos, I wouldn't cheap out on the decor on it.  That's not a hefty price tag for what will take both a lot of flowers and a lot of labor to create. If you're looking to save a little money on it but still want a high quality look, ask the florist what flowers she plans to use in the design.  You may be able to save a little money by going with lower cost flower options, like carnations instead of peonies or tiger lilies instead of stargazer lilies (just examples).  You could also consider adding in large column-style candles or lanterns or other lower-cost decor items that you provide, to "take up space" in the design by requiring fewer flowers.