The cost of a UK wedding

Hi everyone,

We've published the results of our annual You & Your Wedding survey today and I thought you might be interested in what we've uncovered! The survey looks at everything from the average UK wedding spend to what brides-to-be are doing for their hen parties.

The results are here: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/planning/essentials/wedding-budgets-uncovered-this-is-what-uk-couples-are-really-spending/23135.html

• Jesus Christ thats more than we spent on our house! 

Dont feel so bad about our £14k goal... 

Also pretty nice to see average time is 20 months from proposal to wedding. Ours is just over that and people made it seem like we were mad! Although its hardly a shock if people have £32k to stump up! 

I feel very "basic" now haha. Im doing too much average! 

• Weatherwaxe, normally these surveys on wedding cost include the honeymoon and engagement ring.  

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,933 New bride

We are coming in at 28% the cost of the average wedding then - though my figure doesn't include honeymoon as we haven't made a decision, and I assume theirs does. So with honeymoon I guess we will get to maybe a third of the average cost?

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,486 New bride

Would be interesting to know if this does include honeymoon and engagement ring.  That is another thing I haven't factored into my final costs, as we decided it wasn't a wedding expense, it was a present LOL  

• britbird wrote (see post):

Would be interesting to know if this does include honeymoon and engagement ring.  That is another thing I haven't factored into my final costs, as we decided it wasn't a wedding expense, it was a present LOL  

haha exactly! I dont even know how much mine cost... he doesnt want me to know 

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

I only know how much my engagement ring cost for the house insurance haha

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,933 New bride

I know exactly how much mine cost, in fact it sort of got added on to our household budget spreadsheet so I effectively paid for half of it!

I don't include it in the wedding cost though.

MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

I know exactly how much mine cost, in fact it sort of got added on to our household budget spreadsheet so I effectively paid for half of it!

I don't include it in the wedding cost though.

Hehe- we are the same- all our accounts bar one are joint, so it went out of the joint one, as we got points for spending.  Definitely not a wedding cost though #tryingtojustify

CoffeeDogAddict wrote (see post):
    britbird wrote (see post):

haha exactly! I dont even know how much mine cost... he doesnt want me to know 

I think that is nice in a way.  My BIL had me go with him to choose my sister's ring, and he actually said initially "there is no budget" and the one we both thought she would love came in massively under!  She never knew how much it costs, whereas for mine we chose it together and put it on our joint account, so I knew.  I pride myself on it being the one time I came in under budget !!

• Honestly it's a huge amount of money but I can completely see how easily it is done. It's so easy to get sucked in and think you need a £300 photobooth, £300 on chair sashes etc or you wedding won't be as good. 

Ours is just over 20k including honeymoon, but I feel like we are having a nice wedding. Lots of good food, lovely venue. 

I've been to some weddings that have cost 6-7k and they have been amazing!

For me a good wedding is one that's had a lot of thought and personality into it. In my experience how good a wedding has been has had no correlation whatsoever to how much it has cost. 

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

I'm not surprised to be honest, I can easily see how things rack up. I think as soon as the wedding word is mentioned prices go crazy and unless you've got an awful lot of time, space and crafting ability on your hands you just have to suck it up if you want all or even some of the little frills. I also think it's easy to get carried away and lose sight of what is good value when you're spending so much on one day. When you're already spending thousands and paying what seems like a ridiculous amount for things, it's easy to think well a few hundred here or there isn't that big a deal in the scheme of things! I know with things like photography etc we've been like, why pay £1600 for someone we think is good when someone we love and think is amazing is *only* £400 more etc etc etc.

We're getting married in Italy and able to host 120 people (ish) for the wedding day (tonnes of food and open bar), an event with food and drink the night before and the day after.... and are looking at around £35k without a honeymoon. We thought £25k to start with but that quickly went out of the window when we realised just how expensive some things are. I think we'd have easily spent £35k on a fair standard wedding package at an all in venue with a similar guest list in or near London, the food would have been 50% more expensive (and less of it) for a start without even thinking about an open bar! The wedding industry is just nuts, really.

Some days I can't wait and know that when we're there surrounded by our loved ones we'll not care about what we've spent and other days it makes me feel a bit sick to know how much it all costs and what other things you can buy with that money.

I also don't know how much my ring is worth and don't want to know!

• Sian91 wrote (see post):

I only know how much my engagement ring cost for the house insurance haha

Same here ahah! He didn't tell me and didn't want me to know. I had a bit of a "moment" a few weeks ago and left a set of car keys in an Uber, and was panicking because the cost to get 2 x car keys replaced etc was really expensive. 

He deals with the insurance for the cars, house etc because it's a joint policy, so when I went on to see if any of our insurances would pay for me being a muppet I spotted it! 

Luckily the keys were found and returned.

My ring is definitely not a wedding cost though :D 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
    Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
    My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • If it includes honeymoon (not including engagement ring as that is 100% not a wedding cost and besides I have no idea how much it cost) then I am bang on the 'average' bride total. £24.5k wedding and an £8k honeymoon.

It's a heinous amount of money tbh.

• I def wouldn't count the e-ring as a wedding expense! If you received a giant £50,000 ring and then had a £25,000 wedding, that's saying you had a £75,000 wedding and I'm pretty sure that the expectations of what that kind of wedding would look like are entirely different than those for one for £25k. The ring (and honeymoon) have absolutely nothing to do with the "wedding party."

We're all veering off topic (but why not)...I know how much my ring was, and it's kind of important that I do. I have all of my jewellry insured, and as I see our policies, I know what it's insured for (which I understand is not the same exactly as the purchase price).  I honestly could not imagine not insuring my jewellry (it costs next to nothing to do so), and it's not like we're going to be married for the next 50+ years with him constantly hiding the copies of the insurance policies so that I don't see them(!)

The money spent on wedding is crazy though, ring and/or honeymoon included or not. I think it's a bit of a shame that, beyond feeding our guests well and making sure they are comfortable, that somewhere along the way, we've become convinced that they "need" a photobooth, and kitchy signage, and a chocolate fountain, and a magic mirror, and some kind of favour.  And our BMs can't just be asked to be BMs; nope, "asking" involves a pricey box of goodies, and then another box of goodies on the day itself. Our grandparents did none of these things at their weddings - and their marriages were lasting longer. Apparently my nan did not need a basket of flipflops and fake pashminas to make her marriage a good one.

• KittyFiennes wrote (see post):

I def wouldn't count the e-ring as a wedding expense! If you received a giant £50,000 ring and then had a £25,000 wedding, that's saying you had a £75,000 wedding and I'm pretty sure that the expectations of what that kind of wedding would look like are entirely different than those for one for £25k. The ring (and honeymoon) have absolutely nothing to do with the "wedding party."

We're all veering off topic (but why not)...I know how much my ring was, and it's kind of important that I do. I have all of my jewellry insured, and as I see our policies, I know what it's insured for (which I understand is not the same exactly as the purchase price).  I honestly could not imagine not insuring my jewellry (it costs next to nothing to do so), and it's not like we're going to be married for the next 50+ years with him constantly hiding the copies of the insurance policies so that I don't see them(!)

The money spent on wedding is crazy though, ring and/or honeymoon included or not. I think it's a bit of a shame that, beyond feeding our guests well and making sure they are comfortable, that somewhere along the way, we've become convinced that they "need" a photobooth, and kitchy signage, and a chocolate fountain, and a magic mirror, and some kind of favour.  And our BMs can't just be asked to be BMs; nope, "asking" involves a pricey box of goodies, and then another box of goodies on the day itself. Our grandparents did none of these things at their weddings - and their marriages were lasting longer. Apparently my nan did not need a basket of flipflops and fake pashminas to make her marriage a good one.

YES to this! Especially the last line that really made me laugh because it’s so true.

•  I know how much my e-ring cost because we shopped for it together and the lady in the shop asked what his budget was. Definitely would not include it in the wedding budget.

I think once we add the cost of the minimoon and future honeymoon onto what we have spent then we are probably around bang average. 

And although it's a massive amount of money, we don't regret it. We didn't have to spend anywhere near that, we could have gone to the registry office and spent about 500 quid and we wouldn't be any less married. But we've made the choice to do it this way because we want to, we already own a house so don't need to save for a deposit, my kids are teenagers so maternity leave and childcare etc aren't an issue-we've just chosen to do it this way because we want to and have prioritised it. Yes, weddings are super expensive, but noone is twisting our arms!

Additionally, I really don't think how much you spend on a wedding reflects how 'good' the Wedding is. Whether you spend 2k or 45k, if it reflects you and your values and priorities, it will be a great wedding!

• We had our wedding in London. Even including the honeymoon (long haul to Asia and two different 5-star resorts) we're still below the national average in total wedding spend. We did a lot of things differently, and put money on things we as a couple cared about or thought the guests would enjoy (eg. two rounds of drinks reception, a surprise tour of London with two Routemasters, which conveniently took us to a reception venue that charged wayyy less and had much better vibe and food). 

And totally agree with the above poster that wedding spend doesn't reflect how good the wedding is. A lot of guests told us afterwards that it was the best wedding they'd been to, so it's definitely possible to spend less and get more, even in the capital. 

• HamidHamid Posts: 36 New bride
    For some reason the original post/Link is not opening.  However looking at figures being mentioned, WOW!!! I know Asian Weddings can be expensive but see that non-Asians are catching up quite fast.  With the amt. of money mentioned, would it not be wise to just have an average reception and invest the rest in (lets say) a home as a down payment.  I know with young Asian Couples, they are preferring that to getting jewellery (traditionally that was always the priority and where the biggest chunk of budget went).  Do agree with the posters above, the most imp thing is to have great memories and a great time.
  • I read somewhere that in Wales the average Couple think their wedding will cost £7k and end up spending £17k and in England the average couple budgets £16k initially and then spends £27k. I think these were 2016 figures. So you do end up spending a lot more than you expect to at the start of the journey. One of the most expensive elements is the wedding venue and wedding breakfast. Clearly where you have the wedding can affect cost. If guests are far flung, an have to travel somme distance regardless of where you get married, it may be worth travelling to a 'destination venue' in a scenic but less expensive location. But if all your guests are near your own home town, then you are more  likely to opt for a location near where you live. A castle in the Brecon Beacons may offer much better value than a hotel in the Home Counties, with impressive scenery, if you are prepared to make a weekend of it and get guests all staying with you the night of the wedding and if possible the night before. 
  • ArriettyArrietty Posts: 21 New bride
    I think the amount of people you invite has a massive impact on the cost. We're being very picky with who we invite both to keep costs down and to only have people we love and are close to there.