Photographer, cars & flowers

Hi all,

My H2B & I have found a venue we really like but it does mean cutting costs in other areas (we haven't booked it yet). I'm thinking that the above can be done fairly cheaply such as. not having old cars, just borrowing or doing something funny like a white london cab.

My other idea is not to have an official photographer and get everyone to send us their snaps from the day. My H2B's hobby is photography and he is really reluctant to pay 1k on standard family shots when we would prefer reportage photos which cost even more when hiring a professional. I'm not sure if this is a mad idea so welcome your thoughts on cost cutting for all of the above!

I'm getting married in Buckinghamshire so any suggestions from there would be great!

• my wedding photos ae costing 550 cos its a friday and thats by www.glensmith.com as for cars i have my mums new top range merc there are lots of ways to save money and still get the things you want. eg dont do a drink package and agree to pay or say just an arrival drink and toast drink. with the buffet only cater for half you dont want to pay for food to be wasted!
  • deecydeecy Posts: 7,493
    reportage photography doesn't have to cost anything like £1000 - have you thought of hiring a dozen or so digital cameras for the reception tables? That way you have dozens of people taking shots which are 100% better than a disposable & that you can then keep, enlarge & re-print for the ultimate reportage album!

I've always fancied a london cab as a wedding car, big, quirky and cheap!
  • Quoted:
    reportage photography doesn't have to cost anything like £1000 - have you thought of hiring a dozen or so digital cameras for the reception tables? That way you have dozens of people taking shots which are 100% better than a disposable & that you can then keep, enlarge & re-print for the ultimate reportage album!

I've always fancied a london cab as a wedding car, big, quirky and cheap!

Good idea deecy about hiring digital cameras, hadn't thought of that one. Have you looked into photographers yet?
    It's tricky for me because I am a photographer as is my partner, so they would have to be blo*dy good!
    http://www.weddingtaxi.com/

this is the kind of thing I'd like - doesn't look tacky but doesn't cost the earth
  • i think photos are very important when the day is over you have your photo's to remind you of the day and to show your kids in the future. i'm lucky have proffesional photographer in family.
  • tuppenceuktuppenceuk Posts: 5,346
    I suppose it depends how important the pics are to you.

To us it's very important, so we'll be using a brilliant photographer, who's NOT cheap!

I'll probably do the disposable camera thing too (and any kids who go will get a disposable in their happy bags, cos they always seem fascinated by them).

and I can guarantee I'll have my camera on me (just like taking pics - no promises they'll be any good at all image) )

but if you're happy with doing it how you suggest, then it's fine

(though as I said, kids love cameras, so watch out they don't get hold of them all or you'll end up with some nice shots of carpets!!)
  • Its a difficult one to make a decision on as having photos that capture the day are important but I need to do it on a budget and many of the photographers I've looked at seem to charge a minimum of £700-800 and thats current prices. I don't get married till 08. Any suggestions of cheaper alternatives in and around Bucks would be fab.
  • as for a photographers i found somewhere which does not charge for taking the pictures they just ask that you spend at least £200 and the prices of the pics start from £7.99. so if you live in nottingham look up www.fotomargo.co.uk they did my brother in laws wedding and were brilliant.

for a cheap alternative to flowers in the church i thought up having maybe standard roses or something in bloom at the time of year for your wedding then you can give them as gifts to the mothers and they dont just die they can keep them as a token of your day.
  • Quoted:
    as for a photographers i found somewhere which does not charge for taking the pictures they just ask that you spend at least £200 and the prices of the pics start from £7.99. so if you live in nottingham look up www.fotomargo.co.uk they did my brother in laws wedding and were brilliant.

for a cheap alternative to flowers in the church i thought up having maybe standard roses or something in bloom at the time of year for your wedding then you can give them as gifts to the mothers and they dont just die they can keep them as a token of your day.

That photographer sounds good, charging for the pictures rather than flat £1k fee. Unfortunately I live in Buckinghamshire/Middlesex area so need someone round there. If anyone does know of a good value photographer in that area please let me know.

Good idea re flowers in church too!
  • I agree that good photographs are important and I am not sure that guests with disposable cameras will necessarily give you what you want. We are lucky, as my brother is professional photo-journalist (and is doing our 'official' photographs) and at least two of our guests are also professional photographers but a friend of ours who had disposable cameras at her wedding said that most of the pictures that came back weren't terribly good.

When are you getting married? If you want reportage alone, my brother is, as i say a professional photo-journalist, but he does do the occasional wedding (not just mine!). He is based in London and charges £750 plus travel. His website is http://www.sebmeyer.com if you want to see his work (all journalism, I'm afraid). Drop me an e-mail if you are interested and have any queries. He does really stunning portraits (and that isn't just nepotism speaking, I promise!)
    go for digital cameras at the reception, you can hire them for about £15 a piece inc insurance, then give one to about 10 or so guests, get 100s of pics & better pictures than a disposable and have all the pictures sent tou on a disc for you to print and make into your own reportage album.

Cheap, and different!
  • We are getting married in a hotel and having the reception there so we dont have to worry about cars etc,

Not sure about flowers yet, will only need the essentials as having balloons and sweets for our centre pieces!

Photographer - tricky!! We didnt really want one as both hate having our photos taking however thought we should for the mums! We were only going to go for the minium package however at a recent wedding fair found someone who will cover before, the ceremony, cutting cake, speeches and first dance for £849, the photos are fantastic quality and really good! for this you get a 100 photos and an album!

Think we are going to book him!!

Tracey xx
  • All good suggestions, thank you everyone. I agree it is important to have good photos to look back on. Its tricky as my H2B is the only person I know who is any good at photography and obviously he can't start taking snaps! I might shave money off the flower budget or somewhere else to get a professional in. As its not till 08 have lots of time to research!

If anyone out there has found a photographer around the £500 range working around Bucks/Middlesex etc let me know, thanks!