tesco wedding cakes

Went to tesco yesterday to get my mum a birthday cake, and they have some wedding cakes all seperate but will make a 3 tiered cake and they look lovely ready for decorating, there great if you on a budget xx

• Tricia1965ukTricia1965uk Posts: 1,148
    we had 2 of the madera ones for our christening cakes and they were lovely.
  • TxxukTxxuk Posts: 548
    Yes we are thinking about doing this. Read in this months Y&YW that only ablout 80% of ppl actually eat the cake so why pay a fortune?! There is also a good tip about buying sugarcraft flowers to decorate a supermarket cake. Definately appeals to me.
  • Saint-BertieSaint-Bertie Posts: 6,678
    I've decided to definitely get either Sainsburys or M&S - though Tesco now on the list. Will get the florist to do some flowers and voila!

How much were the tesco's ones?
  • nicandleenicandlee Posts: 1,743
    i didn't look to be honest i just saw the boxes.
  • Mrs_AmandaMrs_Amanda Posts: 3,284
    according to tesco.com the plain iced 'rich fruit celebration cakes' are

small - £5.98

medium - £9.48

large - £13.68

Waitrosedeliver.com also do 'proper' wedding cakes at seemingly cheaper prices than cake makers.
  • ariel_vampariel_vamp Posts: 2,415
    ...and the waitrose choccy cake is sooooooo tasty!
  • Asda also do wedding cakes and are the same price as Tesco. I am going to buy a small cake and use it as a christmas cake to see what it tastes like, if OK then I am going to use for our wedding and decorate with flowers.

• hey all you chicks!

this is definately what i am goin for, they are gorgeous cakes and personally i think less is more so mine is going to just have a little decor on it and it'll look fab at less than half the price! some of the quotes i was gettin were 600+. ridiculous if u ask me!! however they were stunnin cakes!

Louise x
  • Saint-BertieSaint-Bertie Posts: 6,678
    was just telling h2b that unfortunately we're going to have to try all of these cakes to choose which to go for - hard life eh!
  • nickiv123nickiv123 Posts: 138
    I am getting supermarket cakes. I would love to get a 'proper' one with different flavoured tiers but we have decided to pay for evening drinks so are having to cut back elsewhere so paying £hundreds for a cake is not on my priority list! I am getting just tesco iced fruit cakes then other cakes (choc & sponge) to cut up & put out aswell.

I was just going to put fresh flowers on and around but I'm now considering keeping a spare bridesmaid dress which is wrong size, instead of refunding it (was only £20 from TKMaxx!) which is a mauve pink coloured satin, & cutting a wide strip for a thick ribbon, tying it around the top tier into a bow (a nice one!) and fastening with a diamonte brooch, then draping the long pieces down to the bottom. Think I'll get them at xmas too & see what it looks like!
  • nickiv123nickiv123 Posts: 138
    I am getting supermarket cakes. I would love to get a 'proper' one with different flavoured tiers but we have decided to pay for evening drinks so are having to cut back elsewhere so paying £hundreds for a cake is not on my priority list! I am getting just tesco iced fruit cakes then other cakes (choc & sponge) to cut up & put out aswell.

I was just going to put fresh flowers on and around but I'm now considering keeping a spare bridesmaid dress which is wrong size, instead of refunding it (was only £20 from TKMaxx!) which is a mauve pink coloured satin, & cutting a wide strip for a thick ribbon, tying it around the top tier into a bow (a nice one!) and fastening with a diamonte brooch, then draping the long pieces down to the bottom. Think I'll get them at xmas too & see what it looks like!
  • Tiguk1Tiguk1 Posts: 10
    hi,

i'm probably getting my cake from tesco, or another supermarket.

they are really nice cakes, and i have already bought, decorated, (and eaten!image) a couple of the small ones......(just to practice!!)

I'm having a butterfly theme and have been practicing making sugarpaste (edible icing)butterflies to "float" all over my cake.

I'm going to try and get some sort of edible shiommery powder to go on the edges of the butterfly wings, does anyone know if such a thing exists??

• Hi Tig,

Yes, you should be able to get it from any good cake decoration suppliers, its called 'edible lustre' and is available in quite a few different colours.

Sonya. x.
  • i am going to get my cake from s upermarket too and get the cake toppers from ebay i am going for pink butterflies they come out the top tier like there flying and also feathers you also get other butterflies for the other tiers.When do you think the best time to get the cake is im getting married in june,i dont want to leave it to the last minute cause knowing my luck there will be none left.........
  • cat82cat82 Posts: 283
    im going on friday after reading this post, will get a little one to try, hope i dont eat it all myself otherwise i wont fit my dress ;\)
  • gothdigothdi Posts: 322
    im gonna use the tesco ones too, problem is we needed maderia and they only do med in thatimage not many people like fruit cake x
  • hi

we decided to use ther supermarket cakes as well alot cheaper and when u put ur own decs on it looks just as good if not better as the proper ones
  • gothdigothdi Posts: 322
    its more personal too x

• very true x
  • wendywuukwendywuuk Posts: 267
    we were going with the M&S cakes but i'll now check out the supermarkets too. We were going to add to it with either a cake topper from www.creativecakedesign.co.uk or a jewelled cake topper (depending on our colour scheme of we ever choose one) from http://www.dragonsanddaffodils.com/dragonsanddaffodils_jewellerypieces.html

For info on how not to poison your guests if your putting flowers on your cake -

http://www.cakesunlimited.net/html/poisonous_flowers.html - these guys also have a great cake calculator so you know what size and how many tiers to get for your guests.

Has anyone else seen any nice cake decorations you can buy seperately?

WW
  • I am going to use Tesco or Asda ones. I have already bought some lilac ribbon (local store), cake topper (ebay) and mini dough roses to decorate it with.

Might have a practise run about a month beforehand. Slightly nervous about doing it myself!

Corinna x
  • i have recently seen someone on ebay who does sugar flowers for wedding cakes not sure how much they are but a great idea if your decorating your own..

we had 4 tiers 2 fruit and 2 sponge as i hate fruit cake and wanted to eat some of my own wedding cake! although fruit cake lasts like forever .. our cake was arround £400/£600 (not sure mum paid) it had a real working water fountain under it with coloured water to match our colour scheme
  • we've ordered a waitrose choccy cake 3 tiers for our wedding. it looks fab!! it was only £165 too. they have some traditional ones also which also look great!