Cost of Band

Hi

We are dithering over whether to have a band or DJ at our Reception or both. Wondered if anyone could give me an idea of how much I should expect to pay for a live band? Haven't a clue!!

[Modified by: Jane on 08 May 2006 15:20:09 ]

• Depends what you want, how you book it and where they have to travel from.

We're having Dante Ferrara (lute and other medieval instruments) play for our ceremony and photo taking on the wedding day etc.

For the reception we've got a 5 piece Ceilidh band plus caller for two sets of an hour each and then we've booked a DJ for first dance, inbetween sets and to finish up the evening.

Dante is costing £300 for a couple of hours.

Ceilidh and caller (booked through agency) is £500 and the DJ is £300.
  • kimhunterukkimhunteruk Posts: 58
    We are quite lucky in that we are getting a family friend's band a trio £300 for three hours (i'm told that is their going rate but I think that's quite cheap) then my partner's uncle is going to DJ for free for the rest of the night, and during the day he's going to have background music on in the hall cause that is where the bar is even though we will all be outside hopefully enjoying the sunshine!!
  • ruthdillonruthdillon Posts: 150
    we are quite lucky i think. we have a pianist playing during the meal for £50, a four piece jazz band to start the evening for £320 (plus expenses) and then we have hired a PA system and will plug in our laptop so that we get all the music that we want..
  • emma_avfcemma_avfc Posts: 192
    I am getting costings for a string quartet and DJ tomorrow - will post prices
  • whit-walkerwhit-walker Posts: 108
    I've been looking into this recently. I'm getting married in London and that just seems to add to the cost. A string quartet for the ceremony and drinks reception will be £500 + and a band for the evening is going to be £1200 - if anyone knows of a decent band in the London area that won't cost the earth, can you let me know?
  • I have found that the best way to keep entertainment costs down is to book locally and don't use an agency. the DJ for our wedding is the one recommended by our venue, He quoted me £175 over the phone, but forgot to mention the VAT, taking it up to £220. I looked through the yellow pages under entertainers for a band and was quoted £210 for a 3 piece ceilidh band which I don't think is bad, so I have booked them as a surprise for my H2B. I had other quotes from bands of around £500, which was more than I wanted to pay.;\)
  • jlf77jlf77 Posts: 8
    Thanks for all the info everyone. It's given me some idea of what sort of costs to expect - although £1200 in London sounds terrifying!!! We're getting married in Yorkshire so hopefully it won't cost that much. Booking direct with the band rather than through an agency sounds like a good idea too.
  • melmitchukmelmitchuk Posts: 5
    Getting married in Dublin. a jazz quartet, band and DJ (all the same guys) is costing just over 2000 euro. Church musicians are 200 or 250 euro each- more for pianist!