So excited - my dress is being shortened!

Hiya, do forgive this very self-indulgent post, but I'm so delighted - I took my wedding dress back into the bridal shop today, and they're going to turn it into a tea-length cocktail style dress for me, for the bargain price of £25! I couldn't bear the idea of just storing it away in a box, nor did I want to sell it; I wanted to be able to wear it again, on high days and holidays! But as it was, it was impractical, with a semi-cathedral train. It was a strange experience putting it on again in the bridal shop, mind you! Although I did fall in love with it all over again image

It will be ready in about a week, and if you like I shall post a photo. In my head it will look fabulous, I hope it's the same in reality! My friend is hosting a vintage tea party on midsummer's afternoon, and she's encouraged me to wear it for then, in my guise as Lady Molko (my alter ego, due to my love of Placebo). I will probably try and find myself a shrug or little cardi in a hot jewel colour, and some matching shoes, to tone down the ivory - any suggestions welcome. And there's always the possibility of adding some flowers to the skirt or something - again, any ideas gratefully received. Unfortunatey I can't dye the dress as it's polyester satin. with embroidery.

By the way, the thought of spending near on £100 to have it dry-cleaned was anathema to me, so I put it in the washing machine, on a 30 degrees delicates cycle, and it worked a dream, it didn't shrink or anything. All the muck came out, and any little remaining stains were removed with Pampers babywipes - a good tip!

Thanks for indulging me, weird brides, love Stella xxx

[Modified by: mrs nonnymouse on 21 May 2008 18:47:06 ]

• NaomeiNaomei Posts: 2,273
    How cool! Love that idea... do you have pics of the dress at its original length?
  • goneawaygoneaway Posts: 1,676
    Here it is for you NaoCat:

Although it's more A-line than it looks in this pic.

S xx

[Modified by: mrs nonnymouse on May 21, 2008 07:02 PM]
  • RandomBunnyukRandomBunnyuk Posts: 2,096
    Wow that's such a good deal! Can't wait to see it in it's 'reduced' format!
  • LittleboboukLittlebobouk Posts: 5,369
    Thats brilliant id love to be able to do that !!!
  • netallynetally Posts: 539
    Woo that's a cool idea! What will they do with that lovely beaded train? If you're planning on having children you could save it for the christening gown, kinda like the tradition!
  • NaomeiNaomei Posts: 2,273
    How cool - it sounds like such an ace idea. My SIL has been married for more than 10 years... I was asking her what she had done with her wedding dress and she said it was in a box in the loft! How mad is that?!

(Although she did say they might be having a wedding tea party where they all dressed up in their wedding dresses! How funny would that be?!)

I don't like the idea of my dress (yet to be bought) just mouldering away. I'll probably sell it, or dye it or something!
  • Claire07ukClaire07uk Posts: 3,482
    Awww it sounds fabulous Stella! And what a bargain! How about a groovy ribbon or sash to jazz it up a bit and break the ivory up?
    Glad you like the idea ... Claire, unfortunately there's a lot of beading and embroidery round the middle (wide at the sides, coming to a V at the front and back), so it wouldn't really work with a sash. That's why I will need get a shrug or little cardi to offset the ivory. A lady at work also suggested having an organza overcoat made in another colour, which would also look great I think. It will be fun accessorising!

S xx
  • macabeymacabey Posts: 2,884
    That is very cool! I can't wait to see the results. You may start a new trend on here.
  • CeleryukCeleryuk Posts: 3,640
    you put your dress in the washing machine???? you must be super brave or completely weird! I am glad it went well. I would not have the guts to do so, because I have an old washing machine and it does not go lower than 40 unfortunately. Mine is still hanging behind the door with bike grease on it. I keep thinking I might wear it again, but not sure yet, I was thinking of dying it, but the lady from the alterations told me that would ruin the fabric, not sure what to do now.

We need to do a national trash the dress meeting!

• futureMrsLeefutureMrsLee Posts: 1,872
    To echo Celery....

I nearly choked when I heard you'd beautiful wedding dress in the washing machine image

goodness me... thankfully everything worked well

I think it will look fabulous and I must say thet the neckline has inspired me to have something made..

My fav. neckline EVER ;\)
    Celery your post made me laugh! I had heard of people doing it before, and I really did not want to spend the best part of £100 having it cleaned (I only paid £299 for it in the first place). So I took what I decided was a calculated risk, and yey it worked! If it had cost me more then I probably wouldn't have done it. But I am delighted to be considered brave and/or weird - thank you!

Mrs Lee, it's my favourite neckline too, and it's the only one that really works for those of us blessed with a generous bust.

S xx
  • netallynetally Posts: 539
    Celery, a lady on here was talking about donating her dress to an African village. Apparently a lot of impoverished places have one dress that everyone wears to their wedding, so donating one is a lovely way to help poor brides! How about the local charity shop? I'm sure someone would clean it up and wear it again!