FAO tsarina!

Well....now you can say you have lived! image

To register your intent to marry....

You need to ring the registry people at the council in the area you have lived in for the past 14 days. You can then just make an appointment for both you and your h2b (if you live in different areas you have to do it at different councils - very annoying!). You have to pay £30 each and take ID like proof of adress, passport etc.

• tsarinauktsarinauk Posts: 863
    YAY! an FAO! I wasn't hinting, honest... imageimage

thanks fcr the advice, better get cracking and ringing the register office I guess. Happy one year to go! xx
  • ruthemilyruthemily Posts: 13,622
    Thank you!

I'm giving my notice on Tuesday and B the week after. I have to go all the way to Manchester to do mine though, as I have only just moved and apparently it would make the paperwork complicated. Ugh!

B can't come with me as we have people coming to stay - it will be very strange giving my intent to marriage all on my own!!
    ha ha, everyone will think you're one of those crazy made-up case studies from the Sun a couple of weeks back, who book a wedding without even having a groom yet!

ooh it's all exciting though, this time next year- I guess you'll still be a nervous wreck but you'll nearly be there!!
    That actually happened?!

I'm going to go with B to his appointment, so at least we get to do one of them together!

This time next year I guess I'll be having my hair done whilst flapping at my BMs to bring me breakfast and wine, and trying to keep mums under control!

You'll be married!!
    Quoted:
    That actually happened?!

that's the funny thing, it was in the Sun but it never happened (who'da thunk?)

I got myself into trouble over this in GC a few weeks back... basically there was a survey by someone (maybe even YAYW mag, Confetti, somebody with something to promote) where they claimed that 'X' amount of women bought dresses, booked wedding venues, churches etc- before they'd even found a man to marry, because they were so desperate for their dream wedding.

So the Sun newspaper decided to run a feature about this. Except, the lead case study, a woman who had 'bought her dream dress even though she was single' was someone I knew. She was using a false name, was in a v serious long term relationship and was not interested in marriage.

so the Sun couldn't find, or was too lazy to find, real women who had done this and instead had made it up. as someone with a professional interest in the press I find this disgusting and unethical. (plus it paints women as nutters)

so I noticed a thread had started about it on GC where people were saying 'can you believe anyone would actually do this' and some posters were a bit worried because they thought they might struggle to get a date at their chosen church because they'd been booked up by crazy single ladies. So I felt like I should point out it wasn't true without dropping anyone in it, but some people got funny with me and even accused me of being the woman in the case study! Have learned since to keep my feminist/ethical rants to the weird brides! sorry had to share that!

Now this time tomorrow you will be waking up to your first day of married life! and hopefully I shall be off on honeymoon image
  • SkipulaSkipula Posts: 1,763
    And the rest of us will be eagerly awaiting your wedding reports and photos image

Of course, if you were real bridezillas you would do your report before you went on honeymoon image
    I feel like I could do my report now - I've thought about every last detail so much and so often!!

Tsarina - that is absolutely crazy about the Sun! I mis-read your first post and didn't see the 'made-up' bit at first - oops!

I have learned to reign my opinions when in GC, I know exactly what you mean!
  • beckyyyxxxbeckyyyxxx Posts: 1,102
    Sorry to interupt ladies but did i see right? do you have to pay £30 EACH?? I just thought it was £30 and that was it!! This wedding lark is working out expensive! lol xx
    It's definitely £30 each!
    crikey- who says love costs nothing eh? I'm confused as I was told I had a month to register my intent to marry but barnet website says I've got up to two weeks before the wedding- confusing. I have tried ringing but it's permanently engaged. anyone know how long you have?
    The notices have to be displayed for 15 days, so I guess in theory you could do it with that time before the wedding.

Our registrar want all the paperwork 11 months in advance or they cancel the booking (cheeky sods - I've paid them a £130 deposit!). I did mine today, and although they will fax through the info straight away, I can't pick the certificate up until Sept 16th, and then I have to take that to the registrar marrying us (and that can be any time before the wedding apparently).

I'd definitely check with your local office but I think the sooner you can do it the better. xx
    in that case I imagine I'm in the same boat as you- the district where i'm marrying is different from the one where I live. I would check with my local office if they ever picked up the phone!!!!

xx
    Could you email them? It's always a pain trying to get through to these people!
    we're all set for next friday now. But it's been emotional. H2B wanted to ring and make the appointment to fit it round his work commitments but he couldn't be bothered to actually ring them and I was panicking as I will be in US for half of September. so a big row ensued where I threatened that if we lost our registrar the wedding would be off! he now says I'm mean and horrible but it got the job done! sigh! need big glass of pinot but sadly I could do with going to the gym instead. double sigh!
  • Chubbs1ukChubbs1uk Posts: 2,013
    tsarina!!! Do you live in Barnet?????
    no, am a Finchley girl so borough of barnet- are you a local then?
    Yes, brought up in High Barnet and now live closer to Whetstone image

Your the first person I have seen on here really local! There are quite a few Herts brides though.

What school did you go to?

Are you having a civil ceremony, registry or church?? We need to have a registry office so we can do everything we want but the thought of getting married at that place in Edgware is so depressing! x
    I'm actually a Herts bride as that's where I grew up in where I'm marrying but I love Finchley and Whetstone's lovely too- that's where we tend to go if we're going out for dinner.Yes I wouldn't fancy that registry office in Edgware either- does it have to be in the area? Islington Town Hall is beautiful. The approved venues in the borough of Barnet aren't great except Stephen's House in Finchley- not been in but looks pretty from the outside. I'm having Fanhams Hall in Herts for a civil do! x
    I think we can go to any registry office so I think i'll have to look into that - Chelsea registry is really nice too.

No the approved venues in Barnet are not great!! I had a quick look on the web at Stephens House but I don't like the rooms inside. We are looking at a place in Oxford on Sunday and we were thinking about Richmond for a while..definatly not looking in Barnet!

Fanhams hall looks really really lovely. x
    Hope it all went smoothly today!
    hey Ruthemily yes now it's all forgotten. he still doesn't believe that we need to do it eleven months in advance but so long as it's getting done I'm happy!

Chubbs 1- think there are lots of approved venues in Richmond- maybe pembroke lodge? i love it round there but sticking to herts as that's where my family are. hope the viewing in oxford goes well- let us know! xx
    ps Ruthemily, just seen your post on the other thread saying you've been feeling a bit down- really sorry to hear that, and there's me harping on about barnet council when you've got bigger things to worry about! The only help I can give is to say that you have to have faith that you won't always feel this way. as someone who's suffered depression and self image problems in the past I know it's a long long road but you can get to a point where you'll get in control of it and turn it from a major thing in your life to a minor thing. lots of love xx