Music no-no's

My Dj has asked me for a list of tracks that we defintely DON'T want played at our do.

So far, I have this, but I must be missing some of the more obvious 'hear them at the beginning of the night and it will be stuck in your head for the whole of the honeymoon' songs.

Please feel free to suggest others. Some of these are just songs that I can't stand personally. Please don't take offence to the list (in case anyone is a fan of any of the below), we just want to make sure that we don't end up with hours of music that we both hate!

Anything by Bucks Fizz

Anything by Jive Bunny

Anything by the monkees (especially cheer up sleepy jean)

Anything Football or England related

Anything by the Cheeky Girls

Anything by Chaz N Dave

Anything by Black Lace

Groove Is In The Heart - Deee-Lite

Cotton Eye Joe - Rednex

Hey Baby - DJ Otzi

Saturday Night - Whigfield

Macarena - Los Del Rio

Fast Food Song - Fast Food Rockers

I'm too sexy - Right said Fred

Who let the dogs out - Baha Men

Birdie Song - The Tweets

Umbrella - Rhianna

Many thanks!

xxx

• laurad50laurad50 Posts: 97
    brown eyed girl by van morrison and bukid me up buttrcup are played at EVERY SINGLE WEDDING!! so predictable........ zzzzzzz
  • SwanlakeSwanlake Posts: 1,032
    Ohhhh... thanks - will add them to the list! I Shudder to think that I could have missed Build me up Buttercup off there!!!

• banwabanwa Posts: 1,296
    Mick said that if Come on Eileen came on he would have the marriage anulled.

(Guess what? it did and he didn't)
  • I would have to add "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor to the list. As my mum once said to me at a wedding - even if you actually liked the song - it's not really in keeping with the wedding, "just got married and going to spend the rest of our lives together" idea.image
    Again, thanks for the additions - they are now on the list.

Racheybaby123, I hadn't even thought of how the words should affect what we want at the wedding. Now I have started to think about it though, there are quite a few other songs that I actually like that are maybe not suitable... like With or without you - U2... maybe not the best wedding song!

xxx
  • Lol! It's so true - there are so many of them out there! Good luck with your list anyway - I may start my own....! xxx
  • lol @U2 with or without you, was h2b's brother's first dance song!!!! Glad it isn't only me who thinks that's weird lol
  • lol U2 with or without you was my friends first dance song too. Throughout it i was just sat thinkin 'oh dear'
  • jojoPMjojoPM Posts: 825
    I would personally ask for no Spice Girls but maybe that's just me! And NO WAY to Whigfield Saturday Night! You already have that on there!

I can't remember what it's called (don't know if this will make sense in text!) it goes - A hip hop a hip a hibby dooby da boggie da beat - lol! It's the spanish women - a real holiday song from a few years back, does anyone know what I'm talking about?!

[Modified by: jojoPM on August 25, 2008 06:56 PM]

• ruthemilyruthemily Posts: 13,622
    "..And I stiiiillll haven't found, what I'm looking forrr" image

Don't have that one!
  • jojoPMjojoPM Posts: 825
    Oh, it's come back to me - isn't it the Ketchup Song?
  • SkipulaSkipula Posts: 1,763
    I love Groove is in the Heart!

Don't include anything by Boyzone, Westlife, Celine Dion or any other diva that can't sing without having to go up and down the scale until she finds the right note image
  • nikolinauknikolinauk Posts: 687
    We're having a guilty pleasures party the night before the wedding so it will be cheese-tastic (I suppose in a way to help differiate between the wedding day which will mainly be 60's music and also as a bit of an ice-breaker)

So far I have on my list a mixture of delights by Tom Jones, Dolly Parton, Wham and Spandeau Ballet - which I see as good quality cheese rather than a slice of 'plastic' cheese!
  • jeskiukjeskiuk Posts: 2,051
    H2b says he will leave if he hears Whitney warbling 'And eiyyyeeeeieyieeee will always love yooohoooowooo'.I can't say I'm that fussed.

[Modified by: jeski on August 25, 2008 07:43 PM]

• gindigindi Posts: 1,369
    Well my 4yo niece / flowergirl has requested Rihanna's Umbrealla but that's a hundred times better than what others in my family have requested...the chicken dance, hokey pokey and Macarena! None of which will be makinf it onto our list.

That said, I'm embarrassingly partial to girly pop cheese so there'll be Girls Aloud and Sugababes featuing - sorry!

But definitely put the chicken dance and hokey pokey on your NO list!

• cressydec08cressydec08 Posts: 1,474
    We've recently done our list and every artist and/or song you've listed also features on ours.

Additions are:

Anything by Girls Aloud or ANY TV talent show winner

Anything by Madonna

Anything by Tom Jones

Anything by The Spice Girls

Anything by Steps

Absolutely no rap or hip hop

The Final Countdown - Europe

The Locomotion

Hot Stuff - Donna Summer
  • Ooh, I'd forgotten about Steps - ARGH! They have also reminded me about S Club 7 though - they will definitely be on my NO list! As will Westlife. I have a feeling we may upset some of H2B's family (who absolutely love cheese!) by banning some of these - oh well!

The only non-wedding spirit song we may play is "I hate you so much right now!" - although we both hate the song, we used to joke it would be our first dance when it came out! Lol! image
  • MrsBambinoMrsBambino Posts: 442
    nothing by Abba! (sorry anyone who loves them!) and i must confess, although I did quite like the Snow Patrol song 'chasing cars', if i hear it at a wedding one more time this year.....aaaagh!!!! xx
    Chasing Cars is my first dance song.

I've not heard it at any weddings I've been to though, if I had, I wouldn't be having it!
    Thanks so mcuh for the suggestions - there are some really obvious ones there - how can I have missed Celine Dion and 'That' Whitney song! I don't know the ketchup song, but will add it to the list anyway!

Thanks all!

xxx
    Here is my list so far (in case anyone wants to use it).

Sorry it is a bit long:

Anything by Bucks Fizz

Anything by Jive Bunny

Anything by the monkees (especially cheer up sleepy jean)

Anything Football or England related

Anything by the Cheeky Girls

Anything by Chaz N Dave

Anything by Black Lace

Anything by the Spice Girls

Anything by Leona Lewis

Anything you would normally hear at a kids party

Anything by Girls Aloud or ANY TV talent show winner

Anything by Madonna

Anything by Tom Jones

Anything by Steps

Anything by Westlife

Anything by Boyzone

Anything by The Sugarbabes

Anything by REM

Anything by Nickelback

Anything by Meatloaf

Anything from Grease

Absolutely no rap, hip hop or soul

Chicken Dance

Groove Is In The Heart - Deee-Lite

Cotton Eye Joe - Rednex

Hey Baby - DJ Otzi

Saturday Night - Whigfield

Macarena - Los Del Rio

Fast Food Song - Fast Food Rockers

I'm too sexy - Right said Fred

Who let the dogs out - Baha Men

Birdie Song - The Tweets

Umbrella - Rhianna

Build me up Buttercup - Foundations

Hi Ho Silver Lining - Jeff Beck

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison

Come on Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners

I will survive - Gloria Gaynor

With or without you - U2

I still haven't found what I'm looking for - U2

The Final Countdown - Europe

The Locomotion

Hot Stuff - Donna Summer

The B-52's - Love Shack

Beyonce - Crazy in Love

The Fifth Dimension - Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine In

Kool and the Gang - Celebration

Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out of My Head

Pink - Get the Party Started

Sister Sledge - We Are Family

Chubby Checker - Twist

Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive

Carl Douglas - Kung Fu Fighting

Barry Manilow - Copa Cabana

The Village People - Y.M.C.A.

The Weather Girls - It's Raining Men

Love is all around - Wet, wet, wet

The Conga

Every Breath You Take - Police

Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton

White Wedding - Billy Idol

Tequila - The Champs

My Humps - Black Eyed Peas

You'll Never Walk Alone

Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond

Bryan Adams - Summer of 69

Thanks all!

xxx
  • SkipulaSkipula Posts: 1,763
    No!!!! You can't have the B52s and the Monkees on your list (or Groove is in the Heart) image
  • Robbie Williams is banned from our wedding. Although I'm not sure he'd come all that way anyway...
  • Ooo I have a huge list of songs that should never ever be played at weddings. Cher: Do you believe in life after love and of course, I'll be watching you by Sting... very important to keep off the list heh.

I do keep threatning my partner that i'll sneak either "I like little girls" by Oingo Boingo or "are you old enough" onto the track list just to piss him off (I look really young even though i'm not, it's funny to tease him about it. Lol.. i'm a sicko aren't I?)

Iris - Goo goo dolls. Pretty song, but DUDE! "i'd give up forever to touch you" and "I just want you to know who I am!" It's about unrequited love! It gets played at weddings a lot, I laugh.
  • Lainey101Lainey101 Posts: 128
    jojo - would that be the Ketchup song your talking about?.

I personally loves these songs, love cheese its great. Each to their own I suppose, hope it all goes well and your left with some songs that you can actually play lol xxxx
    Quoted:
    Iris - Goo goo dolls. Pretty song, but DUDE! "i'd give up forever to touch you" and "I just want you to know who I am!" It's about unrequited love! It gets played at weddings a lot, I laugh.
    Oh me too.

I also find it rather amusing that Angels is such a popular first dance song, when it's clearly a song about DEATH, it was written about the death of Robbie's grandmother.
  • mrsj36mrsj36 Posts: 2,340
    Well it's a good job none of you were at my wedding! I hate some of those songs but we had Love Shack as a first dance (after an awful Celine song just as a shock to our guests as they know we hat that type of music), Sugababes, Girls Aloud, SClub & YMCA featuring, I think you'd all have run off!

I must say we didn't have an empty dancefloor the whole night as, even though we did vet some of the songs we asked our guests to request, we did have cheese as it's what everyone gets up to dance to. Let's Get Ready to Rumble went down particularly well, as did the girls vs boys dance off to Christina's Dirty. We had a huge range from rock to old indie, cheese to 60s.

Also, I don't listen to lyrics so who knows what some of the songs we had played were about! All I can say is don't worry too much - your guests will dance and not worry what the songs' meanings are about.
  • AnrielAnriel Posts: 239
    lol, I find it hilarious that your no - no list is pretty much my "please play these!" list! Except kyli who i can't stand!
  • Hahah anything by nickleback could include "another hole in my head" or "should have listened" or even... "never again" ahahahah oh man.. i'd cringe if those were played at a wedding then sing along at the top of my lungs, especially another hole in my head.

Hmm... Delilah! hahaha,

• 007Aims007Aims Posts: 124
    I wanna know what love is....and I want you to show me.

Show me heaven cover me....leave me breathless..oh..oh..ohh show me heaven....Please...

I've had, the time of my life, and I owe it all to you.

Grease megamix

ops up side your head

Superman!!

I think your list pretty much gives the DJ an idea that you do have some taste when it comes to music!!

(no offence to anyone that likes chees - must say i am partial to a little every now and again - just not at my wedding!!