Glamping... pa!

Good grief... some things in life need to be done, others,

tried just the once.

If anyone mentions that word again I shall scream, really I shall.

Thankfully all back in one piece safe and sound.

Yes it would have been marvelous in Ibiza or say Morrocco, where they have the weather.

Dear old Blighty I'm afraid didn't quite cut the mustard.

It rained every day and all through the night.

At least if I'd have had a bash at one of the festivals there would have been music!

Heavens, they did open.

That god for my hunters.

Indespensible.

At one point I think I had mud even behind my ear.

Our wonderful( mmm not so wonderful now) Margo( tent) couldn't handle the downpore so leaked and was disposed of.

A high tech replacement quickly followed but was rather too sporty for my taste.( sportwear, yuk)

Our spirits were all well and truly dampened

The only thing for it was a swift call to dear old Fortnums for some cheer.

Poor Mr.Lee was awfully glum but soon recovered when a delicious delivery of Fortnums Summer dozen(12 bottles of delightful plonk) and an equally scrummy hamper found their way to us.

I do think I could have had the same fulfillment in the field at the bottom of our garden.

There it is equally muddy, a lot quieter and no queues for the loos, the wine could have also have been perfectly chilled.

I have missed you all dreadfully and to cap it all I couldn't even get reception on my crackberry!

You live and learn x

• macabeymacabey Posts: 2,884
    Oh no! It sounds blinkin awful, as that's what my least favourite part about (C***ing) is let alone g****ing.

The F&M booty sounds heavenly though, and I'm glad you're back as it's been like a ghost town in these parts.

p.s. did you take any photos?

• futureMrsLeefutureMrsLee Posts: 1,872
    Good god no.

I shall do my very best to forget what I must have looked like!

My hair seems to take on the soul of Bonnie Tyler when faced with moisture.

Not a good look.

We have enough photos sporting that particular coiff from the 80s.

Why so quiet?
  • CeleryukCeleryuk Posts: 3,640
    Ah MrsLee I am so happy you're back! I have missed our conversation.

I have sent you some emails, you need to check...

Your glamping experience sounds just like camping!

I see what you mean by the sporty tent, one of those you have to crawl to enter?

happy birthday to MrLee! Have you received my text? I received yours...so cute on the beach with a lovley hamper....

Thankfully Celery dearest the tent we bought was still pretty large and full height.

Mr.Lee wouldn't crawl and I wouldn't have the back for it.

It was very sweet of you to remember his birthday.

He was really touched.

I took so many "comfort " items with me we had to get a tent for 8 to fit them all in.

However we have seen a whopper that looks rather similar to the Eden project.

Mr.Lee has his eye on it.

I will die.
    oh so cool, you're on here, I am at work today and nothing to do.

What's a whopper if you don't mind me asking?

What about the Weber? I am just dying to know his reaction...

A whopper my dear is something gigantic.

Mr.Lee has a thing about wanting the biggest thing in the shop.

He saw this monster after already purchasing a new tent.

Thank the lord.

His Mother told him she was collecting the Weber so it is not a surprise.

Maybe it will keep him distracted from the Eden project tent.

He had Weber envy because of seeing yours!!!!
    She told him? Oh no...grrrr to the mum in law! How annoying after all your hard work and research on the perfect sage bbq!

I still don't know what is a whopper. I have googled it but the only thing which came out was an ad for Burger King...it can't be that?

I have been growing pumpkins and the local evil black cat has damaged one of them and it's wasted! I am very pissed off and was contemplating murder for one or two minutes!

no dear, it is not an object.Just a slang term for " of remarkable size"

What a naughty cat, please let it live... your pumkin must have looked tasty enough to try.

Maybe cat food next time if the poor thing is still hungry.
    I am not feeding that evil beast...nothing but cyanure!

My friend Loretta will bring me a garden net this afternoon that we will install...sounds a bit more civilised than crime image
  • Darkangel79ukDarkangel79uk Posts: 1,042
    Hi Mrs Lee and welcome back! Sorry it wasn't what it should've been.. maybe you should try glamping in the mediterranian...I bet that's beautiful...

Sicilia amoungst the orchards and vineyards.....

Now that'd be something else!!

• tsarinauktsarinauk Posts: 863
    Oh dear Mrs Lee! I'm sorry that your glamping experience didn't meet expectations. but even with your spirits (and hair- mine does the bonnie tyler thing when it gets wet too, horrendous!) dampened, your typings are still a sight for sore eyes.

here's a weber-related dilemma. my dad called to say he has bought H2B a round weber bbq for his birthday. but H2B bought a cheap barbecue last week. dad says he can take it back but do you think I should let him do that or accept it?
  • SkipulaSkipula Posts: 1,763
    Oh dear! We all had such high hopes for glamping but, you're right, it has to be done in sunnier & warmer climes! Even then I think I'd opt for a villa image
    Tsarina, let him offer him a Weber! In a man's life there is only one place for the perfect bbq and it's a Weber, not a cheap one.

is your weber gas or coal? this one is a coal one. i know so little about bbqs- this is one area of cooking that i leave to mr tsarina..
    Oh yes yes tsarina, I agree whole heartedly with Celery.

Mr.Lee has been harping on for EVER and has been driving me mad.

Has had others but none will ever meet his love for the Weber.

Celery you must post a picture to whet ones appetite.

I must say all this rotton weather has made me hanker for somewhere a little more Mediterranean.

Yes, orange groves sound just the ticket!

I have a fancy for Santorini.

Yes Skip, in a villa.

Life under canvas isn't for me.

A park bench and a bottle has more appeal.
  • Lula_sweetpeaLula_sweetpea Posts: 1,401
    MRS LEEEEE!!!

Welcome home! I have been wondering when you would return.

Ah well, s'pose you have to try these things once in life! This summer has been truly horrid, it would have made all the difference if the sun had shone. It's awful when it's so damp-you never seem to dry out!

When we had out mini-moon in the campervan, we spent one very soggy night in a campsite that flooded over night and so I lasted one night and then made K go into all the hotels to see if they had any rooms- none did! So another night in the van!

The f and m hamper sounds a treat though! Some civilization amidst the ordeal!!

Did you do anything nice? Dog walks? Pub lunches?

At least you are back to normality again! Get those rollers in!
    mine is coal! It delivers better flavor than gas but it takes longer. With gas you can just light it up and cook your meat straight, coal needs a bit of passion! image

But Dave has been going on and on with his roast chicken for ages and it's delicious...can only be done in the Weber though.

[Modified by: Celery on August 30, 2008 01:58 PM]

ooh that's pretty! why does that brand of bbq cook better then? i think if H2B learns he can roast a chicken in it he will be sold! he bought a cheap one in argos and the results weren't great... however I think that using cheap coal didn't help. we will be firing it up again tonight- am just off to shops now to look for sardines- yum! think some jerk chicken drumsticks and aubergines are in order too. anyone else having a barbie this evening?
    bbq tonight for us too!

If you put the grill down enough you can actually sit your chicken standing up and you put your coal, on both side around it. You close the lid and basically the heat go all around the chicken roasting it in circle heavenly and evenly...as opposed to a normal one where the heat goes form the bottom only.

wowser! that sounds niiiice. any special seasoning/marinades or just au naturel? (see what I did there, threw in a bit of French? lol!)
    Lula darling...

How did it go.?

Hope there was dancing.?

Maseltov (sp)

Did you have a huppa( again I have no idea on spelling, please forgive me)

Did you get Dahlia... oooh that is a jolly nice name for a yound lady.

I love sardines on the bbq Tsarina... you're making my mouth water.
    I know, thank you for this. It's nice when someone always add a wee bit of french for me.

well the idea of the weber chicken roast is to stick a little can up his ar*se! A small beer can is perfect size, you empty the beer, get rid of the top of the can, put some white wine and herbs like parsley, bay, thym with the wine. The idea is with the heat the wine and herbs will moisturise your chicken! And the can iwll help your chicken standing up in your barbie!

For more info, you can go on www.weber.com/recipes

• ruthemilyruthemily Posts: 13,622
    Mrs Lee! So glad to have you back. Sorry to hear that the glamping wasn't so glam afterall. What a shame that the weather was so dreadful for your first time.

Does the Eden project tent have underfloor heating? That would be perfect.

I can't believe you ladies are having BBQs this evening, I'm very jealous! It is miserable as sin up here, cold and decidely grey.

I won't mention a Weber to Brett as he'll only want one. We bought some huge bamboo lanterns the other week, but they take about a bottle of lamp oil in them each! Not very purse- (or indeed eco-) friendly!
    Mrs Lee, I suppose you could rename it Glum-ping image
  • gindigindi Posts: 1,369
    Dear Mrs.Lee, welcome back! We had horrendous weather in Cornwall too. Where it's been terrible throughout the rest of the UK I think Cornwall has had the absolute worst of everything - poor little county!

I am in Munich for work... it is very sunny and warm and likely to stay that way until Wednesday, which is good, as that's when I fly home. And although I have stuff to do tomorrow and Tuesday, Monday is an almost-free day so I am looking forward to enjoying the sunshine!

(Also i was very naughty and bought the Prada butterfly sunglasses duty free at Heathrow this morning, so I need to use them).

XXX
    Well done Skip

You must send " Glumping" image

to the blasted Times.

It's all their fault!

There must be other poor souls who have suffered the same fate.

Ghindi were you Glumping too?

Oh, to wear butterflies in the ahem.. sunshine. I think you've been a very good girl. Just think of all the pleasure you'll give to others image

False economy is one of my pet hates Ruthemily...

I bought some reasonably priced sheets and then had to spend fortunes on starch to give them body. Bobbled too

Egyptian cotton my foot.
    Hahaha- glumping that is clever!

Thank you Mrs L, for remembering! We had a loveley blessing -was really very moving. We had a short ceremony in another beautiful garden and stood on a raised bit surrounded by small apple trees which I had decorated with ribbons and were amazed at how many people were there!

The rabbi was fantastic- made me cry lots and lots and we said new promises to each other and did the glass smashing thing too!

There wasn't any dancing- just lots of tea drinking and cake eating! So many delish cakes. And we had dahlias!! Went to columbia rd market specially!

I am totally in adoration of them and after sweetpeas they might be my new favourite flower...
    There's nothing worse than bobbly sheets (apart from nylon), they must have been masquerading as 100% cotton!
    Lula, are we getting a report of your blessing? I've had to resort to reading other newlyweds after suffering withdrawal symptoms but I need the good stuff :lol

Can we call you Lula_Dahli(a)ng?
    Yes! Maybe that should be my new married name!