50s brides help with accessories...

Hello

I am having a 50s style dress (kinda similar to the one in 'Funny Face' - but not quite) and I think that I would like wrist-length little gloves to wear with it BUT I've searched everywhere and the only ones I can find are a bit 'magician'/marching band.

Anyone able to help??? I want to look elegant, not as though I'm about to amaze the guests with a card trick....

thanks

x

:\?

• DustyMothDustyMoth Posts: 1,528
    I've been having a look and I see what you mean about the magician thing! Having looked at them though, I think it's partly in the way they are photographed, and by the time you're in a lovely frock with jewellry and whatnot it will look really differnent to white gloves on a black background!

I found these:

http://www.corsetsandcrinolines.com/item/2835

Which would look pretty - particularly if you replaced the button maybe? I'll keep hunting though image
  • They had some gorgeous lace ones in monsoon accersorize! black ones and ivory ones, theyw ere gorgeous
  • DustyMothDustyMoth Posts: 1,528
    I've just spotted actually that there are lots of white gloves on the same site - all vintage and with different embroderies and some leather ones too.

This site has some too:

http://www.frockery.co.uk/catalog/accessories-hats-gloves-c-1_17.html

I also found this (slightly crazy) site which is a bit more modern and not quite what you are after but there are two shorter pairs on there:

http://www.henrykaye.co.uk/Bridal-Gloves

• emsyjemsyj Posts: 3,807
    Thanks, will take a look at all these suggestions!
  • funnyfaceukfunnyfaceuk Posts: 4,251
    there are some nice ones on ebay every now and then!

xxx
  • MrsMoslin2BMrsMoslin2B Posts: 710
    I got some from ebay with little bow on them, im having a 50s dress from CA with a big bow on the back so i thought they would tie in nice,

I think they only cost about £3 and the colour matches my dress,

I did find that you do have to keep looking but you will find some you like
    I got some from ebay with little bow on them, im having a 50s dress from CA with a big bow on the back so i thought they would tie in nice,

I think they only cost about £3 and the colour matches my dress,

I did find that you do have to keep looking but you will find some you like
    I am now giving myself a headache scrolling through all the pages and pages of gloves that I have found - why didn't I think to search for VINTAGE gloves???? Durrr!

Yours sound perfect Mrs Moslin2B - am I imagining it or are you having the 'Funny Face' dress? That was my ultimate dream dress and I scurried along to CA with every intention of buying it but when I tried it the dropped waist was clearly for a slimmer girl... so I'm getting a vaguely similar style with the high neck but a more forgiving waist. It is still my dream dress though and I have a picture of it on my computer at work!!!!
    Im having the same dress as me pink me from CA with the high slash neck , My sister has the same dress as funny face, in fact i have added an album of her wedding in my facebook for some if the gretna girls, if you like take a look, im Joanna Brattan (only 1 on facebook) she looked fantastic in her dress just like a princess
    Fab, I will add you, am DYING to see pics of a real bride in this style I absolutely love it!!! I had thought slash neck with big boobs would be a no-no, but actually Trinny & Susannah are quite wrong and it looks fab!
  • DandMDandM Posts: 1,788
    Emsyj, I know exactly what you mean - though there are a lot of "vintage brides" on the brides cafe which may help - its American but has some lovely pics.

You have to post ur piccys up on here after u get married, I can't wait to see your dress after all iv heard on my VofH thread - when ru getting married? x
    Oooh will have to look that up - I just love staring at gorgeous 50s style dresses!!!

I will of course post my pics after the wedding - it's in July this year. I have my next fitting on 4th April, soooooooooo exciting!!!

Don't give up on the 50s dress dream - you can TOTALLY get a fab 50s dress on a budget. I think I saw a post of yours on another thread saying your budget was £250? That is definitely enough to get something lovely in that style.
  • MrsTeach2BMrsTeach2B Posts: 1,306
    MrsMoslin2B - can I add you too pretty pretty please??? Dying to see some CA photos too!
    of course you can, the photo's on my facebook are of my sister wedding and she has the same dress as Funnyface, i dont have my fitting @ CA till may 1st.

This is the almost the one im having

But with a hot pink sash and underskirt and a V back

I have managed to post pics today for the first time so im going crazy and posting my dress all over the place lol
    Your dress is fab MrsMoslin2b - don't you love the slash neck style? I actually tried on your sister's/Funnyface's dress in the shop!!! It was the only short dress they had. I loved the girly tulle skirt but couldn't resist having a high neck style as the strapless style didn't look quite right on me for some reason. I do remember parading round the shop swooshing the tulle skirt on that dress tho lol!!!

Did anyone see Coleen's Real Women last night with all the girls done up 50s style?? They looked amazing! I wasn't surprised the brunette girl won, she looked so beautiful in the pics. They all had little gloves on and they didn't look like magicians at all, so I am hopeful I will find the right thing!
  • MrsTeach2BMrsTeach2B Posts: 1,306
    Ooooh I saw that and I'm desperate to find some actual pix to show my hairdresser. I actually wanted the tall blonde one to win, I thought she looked amazing!
    Have you had a look on itv.com? I had a nosey cos I want to enter the next series!!!! How vain is that!!! There are pics from the series so you might be able to find some on there - they definitely have a thing to play old episodes so you could show your hairdresser that way?

Just had a quick look on itv.com myself and it has a list of suppliers, including a vintage clothing place for the Benefit episode - they might have some gloves for me! Off for a beak now...
  • CarolynBukCarolynBuk Posts: 205
    I got my fab 50's style dress for £43 off ebay which includes a huge petticoat! We are renewing our vows next year - but saw this and had to bid on it! Just need to sort out a sash, shoes & jewellery! So excited I want to bring the day forward!

Any recommendations re a sash?
    What style of sash are you looking for? You can buy the sash from Sassi Holford's Maisie dress separately - they do tons of colours and it's beautiful, but about £200 new. I have an ivory one in size 10 (small) that I bought off ebay but it's WAAAAAY too tiny for me, sadly. If anyone wants it let me know.
  • higgyuk1higgyuk1 Posts: 1,225
    These have some-

http://www.vintageheaddresses.com/vintage_accessories.html

I love the hat on there, it's so sweet! Love the gloves with beads on, they look sooo pretty.

Could you not have a sash made (i,e find some material you like and have a a local dressmaker finish it into a sash for you? That way you can pick your own material and have it totally unique. xx
  • CarolynBukCarolynBuk Posts: 205
    I like the style of sash on the CA dresses so want to have a V big bow on the back - dont think I want to pay £200 for one though. But I love the idea of looking for my own material.

Thank you!
    I think making one is the cheapest way, My aunt is making some for my flowergirls to add to there bhs dresses,

The material is the same as my sisters (CB) dress which she asked her dress maker to order extra in and she hasn't charged us for.