Forum home Unconventional / Alternative weddings

Planning a champagne and canape only wedding Reception

By way of introduction - I used to be an avid poster on here as I was a Wedding Caterer and set up an outdoor glamping Wedding Venue.

We had to close down ( another long thread) due to  ( unwarranted )complaints from the villagers.

After literally holding the hands of 100's of brides and grooms I am now planning as a Mother of the bride :)

My daughter and future Son in law have never been the big frills and whistles type of wedding couple but have now chosen The Shang- ri-la The Shard for their small and unconventional wedding.

They plan on writing their own words for the vows and having 70 guests to witness the ceremony, followed by a champagne and canape reception for four hours.

No speeches or photos or flowers.

At 6pm the guests will leave as we hope to walk along the South Bank for photos on Tower Bridge,outside The Tower of London and The Gherkin.

Followed by Dinner for immediate family only in the evening back in a private room in The Shard.

• Is four hours a bit long to eat just canapes?

• Hi Rachel343,

Yes I agree but My daughter and son in law dont want the traditional sit down meal.

There idea is to offer 20/25 canapes per head including dessert canapes followed by their home made wedding cake. As an alternative to Lunch.

So a long cocktail party!!

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

Will there be somewhere to sit? Four hours Is a long time

• [email protected] wrote (see post):

Hi Rachel343,

Yes I agree but My daughter and son in law dont want the traditional sit down meal.

There idea is to offer 20/25 canapes per head including dessert canapes followed by their home made wedding cake. As an alternative to Lunch.

So a long cocktail party!!

I'm not a caterer so I don't really know the appropriate amount if it is instead of lunch! I like canapes, so it does sound yummy.

• Hails wrote (see post):

Will there be somewhere to sit? Four hours Is a long time

I was thinking the same thing! 4 hours is long for anyone to stand. It is perfectly fine to have a cake and punch and canape reception. 

• Yes the ceremony chairs will be available for guests to sit on.

The canapes will be a late lunch.

The meal in the evening is just immediate family fifteen of us in total.

The reason they dont want the traditional sit down wedding breakfast is they dont want a traditional Wedding with speeches etc,

Rather an informal cocktail party with lots of mingling and chatting with their guests. No formal photos so straight after the ceremony they will be chatting to guests.

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

It sounds absolutely fine, but was wondering if after all your years of wedding planning whether you feel a little bit saddened by the no flowers, no photos, no speeches rule? I think I probably would! 

• Tanya

Yes you are right! But at the end of the day its not my wedding, my choice,

I have said they need to let their guests know to have a light lunch beforehand.

The invites are going to be a video of them standing at the View in The Shard inviting them to join them in July.

My son in law to be is quite shy and does not want to be the centre of attention, nor sit and eat in front of guests nor make a speech- he would rather die!!! Lol

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993
    [email protected] wrote (see post):

Tanya

I have said they need to let their guests know to have a light lunch beforehand.

The invites are going to be a video of them standing at the View in The Shard inviting them to join them in July.

My son in law to be is quite shy and does not want to be the centre of attention, nor sit and eat in front of guests nor make a speech- he would rather die!!! Lol

Being quite shy he might end up having a massive problem walking along south bank and having photos at tower bridge in full view of joe public, has he thought about that?

my OH is very shy too but he knows that on our wedding day he will be part of the centre of attention, he didn't want to do a speech but when my cousin got married her new husband didn't say a word not even to thank his new father in law for the day or say how beautiful his new wife was, the entire family never forgot about it though and it still gets brought up, that little story soon changed my OHs mind!

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I think it sounds nice, and a refreshing change from every other wedding under the sun.

And Im sure theyve put plenty of thought into the choices theyve made, it sounds like theyve thought about what they want and what they are comfortable with, rather than going for the standard 'off the shelf' wedding day template.

• Hello! 

So nice to hear your family members are planning something which is special and intimate - good for them! 

I just wanted to add to add a bit of 'I've been there' experience as I've been to a canapé only reception as a guest. The first thing I would say is that the guests must KNOW it is canapés only. We were all expecting a meal (as is the usual thing) and purposely hadn't had much to eat beforehand. We then ended up hungry and a few people became drunk quite quickly as there was no food to soak it all up!

Also, there was no system to making sure everyone had a fair share of the canapes. It was a free for all and it was generally the greedy men who stood by the doors who grabbed them all first. Also, there weren't any vegetarian choices (or very few - and all had been gobbled up by meat eaters who didn't realise) and my partner ended up having to ask the kitchen for a bowl of chips for me! (This was all in a very smart, up market venue by the way - this was no means an inexperienced venue.)

i know it sounds like I'm rambling but to this day (it was five years ago) I can remember the slight feeling of resentment because I had paid a lot for accommodation to attend, a new dress, present, taken a day off work etc and I left hungry and desperate to find a takeaway shop still open. All this could have been avoided if they had CLEARLY told us there would not be a main meal! That is my bit of advice :-)

I'm all for a personal wedding though, so I wish you all the best of luck and fun on the big day :-)

xx

• Lucy266Lucy266 Posts: 176
    Tanya128 wrote (see post):
    [email protected] wrote (see post):

Tanya

Being quite shy he might end up having a massive problem walking along south bank and having photos at tower bridge in full view of joe public, has he thought about that?

my OH is very shy too but he knows that on our wedding day he will be part of the centre of attention, he didn't want to do a speech but when my cousin got married her new husband didn't say a word not even to thank his new father in law for the day or say how beautiful his new wife was, the entire family never forgot about it though and it still gets brought up, that little story soon changed my OHs mind!

Not sure i agree it's the same. If you are making a speech all eyes and ears are focused on you, if you are walking through busy London in a nice suit you might get a few glances but that's it.

Anyway - I think it's a good idea and just about the right length as long as they let people know it's just canapes. You can only really save money through doing something drastically different from the usual format. 

• Lucy266Lucy266 Posts: 176

Keep us posted [email protected] - it's always interesting to get a different perspective from the bride!