Should I go natural?

Hi, I am an african who has had my hair natural for a while. I prefer having it natural but it's only past shoulder length and it's not super thick so it's limited in a sense as to what i can do with it. For my wedding i'm going quite unconventional - my outfit and bridesmaids outfits are not the usual "classy, magazine bride" style, we are going to be representing my unconventionality and personal aesthetic. I want to be very 'ME' in my wedding.. my issue is that I kind of want to try something outthere for my hair, like installing faux dreads or getting extensions to achieve a long and thick look for my hair.. I'm just worried if this goes against "being me" and being natural and all that. cus I rarely ever wear extensions.. or anything like that. 

actually as I've typed this out, Ive realised that it's not necessarily going to be "un-me" if I do something extra with my hair ... comments are still welcome though :D 

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

Hi velvetqueen 

this is an interesting point because it makes you ask what does it mean to be you?  We are all so many things to different people and ourselves!  

I love the idea of faux dreads for you and if its what you want do go for it!  Sometimes we can show aspects of ourselves no one expects !  

My religion and lifestyle states i should stay as natural as possible and its what h2b would want to and i am totally happy with that so no colouring or extra anythings for me. 

Have a wonderful wedding x

• Victoria197Victoria197 Posts: 720

When you think of you on your wedding day walking down the aisle how do you see yourself looking from head to toe? If it's with fab hair then go for it as you may look back on the photos thinking I wish... When I do this I see myself with an amazing updo, but similar to you I only have hair just past my chin and it's quite thin.

I have decided to go for extension, and I don't think it's not the real me, just an enhanced version

• MrsCarnegieMrsCarnegie Posts: 463 New bride

I'd say go for it!

Your wedding and how you look and feel, can be anything you choose, even if it's not what you'd normally do. xx 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

You dont have to stick to an all over 'look' its all very well liking a general style, but if you dont want your hair (or anything else) to fit rigidly into that style then it doesnt matter! Just choose what you want!

Although with dreads, especially as its not your usual style, will you not look back in a few years at your photos and think "what was i thinking?" Im not so sure about going for something completely drastic and different for your wedding day when its something youve never had before.

Extensions is one thing because its just a longer version of your own hair, you can always get them took out or cut if you dont like them, but arent dreads quite "im stuck with it til it grows out or a i shave my head" and apparently smelly because theyre hard to wash, according to the internet?

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Sorry just saw you said faux dreads, no idea about these but it sounds like you could try them out first without disaster so why not.

• Mrs NeekMrs Neek Posts: 445

Hey hun, I also rock my natural hair! Like you there's limited styles I can do with my hair because it's shoulder length and thin 😣. For my wedding im wearing a weave because I can create a desired hairstyle without damaging my natural hair. I think if you get faux locs it doesn't go against "being you" you're simply enhancing your hair. X

• thanks for your wonderful comments ladies xD I'm seriously considering going for it. I've never had faux dreads before but I have had thick braid extensions so I don't think I can really go wrong with dreads :)

I hope everyone is coping and progressing well with their wedding planning! i'm freaking out about mine lol

• QueenDQueenD Posts: 325 New bride
    velvetqueen wrote (see post):

thanks for your wonderful comments ladies xD I'm seriously considering going for it. I've never had faux dreads before but I have had thick braid extensions so I don't think I can really go wrong with dreads :)

I hope everyone is coping and progressing well with their wedding planning! i'm freaking out about mine lol

So have you decided what you are doing? 

I'm also natural and asked myself the same question, but then I decided to keep my hair natural on our wedding day. I found a great mua/hair stylist on Insta, happy to share the details if you need.

Also just wrote a post on my website about the pressure to slay as Brides but even more as African Brides, heres the link if you guys are interested: 

https://blessedweddingsltd.wordpress.com/2017/06/16/all-eyes-on-you-brides-how-do-you-handle-the-pressure-to-slay/ 

And yes happy planning xx