Chinese Wedding Ideas?

Hi All,

My Fiance is half-Chinese (his Mum and all his Uncles/Cousins etc on that side of the family are Chinese, living in Malaysia and Singapore).

We would really like to incorporate some elements of Chinese culture into our wedding day but are looking for ideas.... can anyone recommend anything?
We have ruled out having the traditional tea ceremony as it is too time-consuming and we don't want to wear traditional Chinese costume.

We did think to try and hire a lion dancer however it is proving impossible to find anyone (we are based in Basingstoke, South England). I am looking also at little Chinese favours we can put on the table eg. oriental boxes.

Struggling a bit with other ideas, if anyone has any thoughts?

Thanks!

• I had a quick spotch on Google and found this article:

https://www.linandjirsa.com/chinese-wedding-customs/

Was going to write out a few ideas but there's loooaaddss of traditions on there! So thought I'd just paste the link to you haha! Good luck! I think it's a lovely idea!

(I especially love the groom attempting to see the bride and getting jumped by the bridesmaids!) X

Remember, when stressed, simply channel your inner Bridechilla: Take a sand bath, munch some veggies, then chew on a wooden stick... wait... no... that's a Chinchilla... 

My planning thread
  • Thank you that's really helpful :)

• MrsL-GMrsL-G Posts: 86 New bride

I'm Malaysian Chinese and married an English man last November. Key things are the colours red and gold and the Double Happiness character. 

I made Double Happiness confetti using a puncher and gold paper and scattered then on all the tables for the wedding breakfast . Our wedding invitations had a wax seal of a Chinese character (we were told it was a version of the DH character but it was actually the Longevity character). Our wedding favour boxes were red with the gold DH character (off etsy). We put two chocolates in each with a scratch card. 

I looked into hiring Lion Dancers but it cost a few hundred pounds and the video of their dancing was them just prancing around. A shame as the real thing is amazing. 

• Thanks Mrs L-G this is really helpful! If you have any links to the things that you have bought (the punches, favour boxes etc) then it would be much appreciated! Thank you! :)

• MrsL-G wrote (see post):

I'm Malaysian Chinese and married an English man last November. Key things are the colours red and gold and the Double Happiness character. 

I made Double Happiness confetti using a puncher and gold paper and scattered then on all the tables for the wedding breakfast . Our wedding invitations had a wax seal of a Chinese character (we were told it was a version of the DH character but it was actually the Longevity character). Our wedding favour boxes were red with the gold DH character (off etsy). We put two chocolates in each with a scratch card. 

I looked into hiring Lion Dancers but it cost a few hundred pounds and the video of their dancing was them just prancing around. A shame as the real thing is amazing. 

Also, I don't suppose you know of any Chinese wedding readings that we could use? I have found some by Lao Tzu but struggling other than this :) Thanks!

• I went to a Chinese wedding in Hong Kong the other year and here are some of the things I noticed:

1. Big thing about tasks the groom must do to prove his worth e.g pretending to 'smash' the door down into the brides chamber in the morning and then 'tasks' to be completed (that the groomsmen help complete) e.g waxing a leg, using wasabi as toothpaste, bridesmaids hiding the brides shoe and the groom has to find it and can 'bribe' the bridesmaids for clues (plenty of red envelope use)

2. Tea ceremony which doesn't have to be long but is a respectful way to acknowledge the parents and give them gifts e.g fancy chopsticks or tea set

3. Performance- there was a lot of opportunities for the bride and groom to prove how talented they are (and what a wonderful job the parents did raising them) with singing, readings etc

4. Double happiness signs everywhere and on windows

5. The use of red (even as one of the brides 3x gorgeous dresses)

6. Speeches were done in Chinese and English

7. During the wedding breakfast, the parents and bride and groom went and had a drink with every table where a designated person toasts to their good fortune and health 

8. The first course was a whole fish each (not very big though) as this is symbolic (ours looked like something out of Star Wars though)

9.Family and respect for the elders is a big thing e.g the oldest people enter rooms first etc

10. Singing- everyone wanted to sign a song (almost like karaoke) dedicated to the bride and groom

Feel free to pick and choose the traditions you like and have fun with it :)

As a side note, check out Baker Ross online, you can buy loads of kids crafts etc there but they've had lots of stuff for the Chinese new year that might be useful and it's a really good price!

• MrsL-GMrsL-G Posts: 86 New bride

I bought the puncher from the seller FUN4DIY on etsy.

The boxes came from the seller DoubleHappinessShop on etsy.

As for wedding readings, I don't think that's the norm so can't advise I'm afraid. 

Good luck!

By the way, after our wedding, we sent our guests thank you messages and any good photos our photographers snapped of them. As the venue had returned the confetti to us, we popped them into the envelopes as well! Remember the number 8 is lucky and the number 4 is the opposite! 

• I'm a little late to the party, but there's always these: https://www.oddleentertainment.co.uk/hire-a-chinese-lion-oddle-entertainmen/