Wedding Annoyances

We’ve dealt with a LOT of stupid stuff from our guests since we’ve been engaged but the 2 that absolutely take the cake for me are as follows:

<ol> <li>

A friend of FH & I who are from a different state asked if they could stay at our apartment the night before. Yup. Let that sink in y’all.

</li> <li>

A family friend of FH who wasn’t even on the original guest list said flat out & sincerely to FH “your wedding better be fun because it’s for us, not for you.” 100% seriously, no joking around.

</li> </ol>

Please share some stupid things people have said or asked you to make me feel better about all of this.

jenifer

https://dltutuapp.com/ https://9apps.ooo/ https://showbox.software/download/

• " I Met an amazing man, don't suppose he can come"

This was from a cousin  who had been with her bf for a month......

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,135 New bride

Oh there are many! Latest I’ve had is ”can your wedding planner help us find a villa to rent”.... um.... no. She’s busy planning our wedding not being a travel agent for 50 families. 

• I personally love how all wedding guests lose the inability to google basic things such as hotels etc for themselves...or people commenting on the choice of food as though somehow they actually get a say - its a free meal folks!!!! 

• "Can you uninvite my husband's brother because I don't like him?".

Um, no?

"I don't like your food, can I have burger and chips instead?"

Um, no?

"Ooh I really fancy seeing a show when I visit for your wedding. Shall I book us something for the night before your wedding?"

Um, I might have more important things to do??

• When I got married, 2 guests decided they didn't want either of our choices, (salmon or veggie) and had a word with the staff and arranged to get chicken for themselves. Then, after eating it, Mr Bad Guest declared that he could have cooked it better himself! Both the couple had starters, mains, dessert, petit fours and coffee followed by wedding cake, then said there wasn't enough food!

• My biggestst annoyance isn’t really anything people have said, but more so what they’ve not done. My RSVP deadline was a couple of weeks ago and, as I suspected, not everyone RSVP’d. However, I’d given some of these reminders a couple of weeks before and the people who haven’t are my uncle and his wife - his son is our page boy Ffs, there’s also h2bs granddad and his partner amoungst a few others. As if I’ve not go better things to do than chase people up! What’s even more annoying is I’ve asked them to do it ASAP as deadline has passed and I’m still waiting 🤬 if they weren’t close family i would have told them they are no longer able to attend! 

Glad I got that off my chest! I clearly needed to vent! 😂

• Or what people have done...such as my mother telling certain guests that they are included in the accommodation at the venue free of charge the night before and night of the wedding when a. This is not true and b. There is no more room. I’m the one paying so this made me fume. Or just generally telling people details about the wedding which arent correct or meant to be secret 😡😡😡

• MissFelipe wrote (see post):

Or just generally telling people details about the wedding which arent correct or meant to be secret 😡😡😡

Yes, this! My mum is quite excited about me getting married. I’m the first one out of me and my older sister. But, she doesn’t really know how to be subtle! She’s even gone as far as discussing my budget with people and telling them how much I’ve spent on things (some of who are coming to the wedding). Needless to say I asked *demanded* that she stopped sharing all of my details! Whether she has or not I don’t know 🙈

• 😂 Nottinghamshirebride we love our mothers but by god are they liabilities...I went to a family party not long after getting engaged and we hadn’t even booked our venue, had just been looking. My aunt cornered me and was all so your mum has been telling me all about your wedding and proceeded to repeat the details of said wedding (venue, colours, flowers etc) despite me having made no choices on any one single thing 🤔🤔🤔 

• my favourites so far

How inconsiderate of us to have our wedding in the north of Scotland, it’s a pain to get to...

and 

Can‘t we just choose our food on the day? What if we change our mind? 

😂😂😂 I’m sorry whose wedding is it? You’ve had yours 🙈🤦🏻‍♀️

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,086 New bride

I've posted this before:

My MIL wanting to come wedding dress shopping as she has no daughters - fine. Then asking to take a pic and promising she wouldn't show anyone - fine. Going on to then show the pics to her whole family who then kept telling me how lovely my dress is - not fine.

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,078 New bride

Mine at the moment is "oh so and so is really excited about your wedding... so and so has booked the day off.. so and so want to know what hotels to book" from my Mum.

None of these people are on our guest list.... 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

I've posted this before:

My MIL wanting to come wedding dress shopping as she has no daughters - fine. Then asking to take a pic and promising she wouldn't show anyone - fine. Going on to then show the pics to her whole family who then kept telling me how lovely my dress is - not fine.

I read this when you originally posted it and it annoys me as much now as when I first read it!!! GRRRRR MIL's and MOB seem unable to shut their gobs hahaha

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,086 New bride
    GettingWed1803 wrote (see post):
    MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

I've posted this before:

I read this when you originally posted it and it annoys me as much now as when I first read it!!! GRRRRR MIL's and MOB seem unable to shut their gobs hahaha

Haha I'm over it! I had to get the dress out yesterday to take some pics for an alterations quote, and told OH to stay downstairs. Next thing I know I've popped to have a wee and he sprints past the bathroom looking guilty - he'd gone in the bedroom and seen my dress laying on the bed, luckily still half in the bag. He's clueless about clothes so he will have no idea what it looks like on but really, I give up!

• RoseyGoldRoseyGold Posts: 149 New bride

FMIL is my frustrations so far, nothing massive but.....

She told her daughter we were going to ask her to be a bridesmaid......

Expecting all immediate family and the priest on the top table......

Expecting us to pay for a limo to take partners of the bridal party to church and back...... 

Insisting we had chair covers when we think they're a waste of money....she's now paying for these I stood my ground.

AND buying a dress in our wedding colours before we've even picked out bridesmaid dresses.....the wedding is next October so there is no rush!

She is really excited, as her daughter didn't do the church wedding and we are.

These are just niggles I'm pretty chilled so far.......

Oh but I have had to get my Dad to remove some facebook posts about booking stuff. I haven't told him he's on a phone ban on the wedding day yet, that could be interesting! 😂😁

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 703 New bride

Our wedding date being the most selfish date possible (4 Jan) 

FMIL wanting to invite her two brothers that I have never met when there are people we see way more often not on the day list 

FMIL asking if we could have a certain goats cheese on the cheese board for (now ex) FSIL are she can’t eat dairy (my brain actually hurts from this as she doesn’t have an allergy and eats dairy when it suits. Plus most people who are dairy intolerant react to goats f%^king cheese!!!) I told her she can have grapes and biscuits. She’s not even coming now. 

FMIL asking if I’ll wear white because you know you’ve been married before 🙄🙄

Sure there are loads more 😂😂

• MrsPBtobeMrsPBtobe Posts: 312 New bride

My sister is one of my BM and threw a strop because I said she can go in my mum’s car to the registry office and she wanted to go in my wedding car. The car only sits 3, the registry office is only about ten mins away so could do two trips but I don’t want potential stress of the car getting stuck in traffic and making us late. Also they will need the car to get to the reception venue which is a 40 min journey away.

She also didn’t like that I said her friend couldn’t come to the reception, although I might give in on that one because if she meets a man before the wedding I’d let him come and it is a friend she’s had since school so I do sort of know them. I’ll decide on that once we we‘re at RSVP stage.

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 985 New bride

My in laws decided to host a family party the day after our wedding for everyone locally to celebrate with us. Lovely. Really nice way to catch up with everyone and extend the weekend. They invited loads of their friends, people I'd never met before but that's ok as they're hosting. 

Until they decided that actually it's expensive catering for 100+ people so can we foot the food bill instead? We paid for the bloody thing for people we'd never met and my in laws took all the glory, they didn't even correct people when they thanked them for hosting it!

Not technically wedding related but worth the rant!

• MrsGxMrsGx Posts: 328 New bride

Two of our guests who had originally RSVP'd as yes months ago, cancelled 4 weeks before the wedding because 'it's the only time they could go on holiday' 

FSIL complaining 'oh I don't know anything about this wedding, I don't even know where it is or how to get there' AFTER she had received the invite (I'd spent weeks making) which obviously contained the venue name, address, how to get there including directions and locals transport etc.

Despite adding an accommodation list in the invite I had numerous people ask where they could stay and if I could find them somewhere. Because apparently I didn't have enough to organise.

• MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,256 New bride

My favourite so far is:

Are you wearing white?

Me: No ivory

Good because your not pure enough

• My sister who lives in the Peak District with her husband, toddler and new born... I said a YEAR ago that they will need to book accommodation asap as where I live is very popular during the summer months as the town's next door are tourist traps. She responded that she'll look into it but she's not sure if they're going to camp, stay with family or book a hotel... 4 months go by, I remind her again...was told, it's fine she's got it under control...another two months go by and I ask again...oh we're going to camp, so I ask if she's booked the campsite - no. I told her that the same rule applies, they will need to book asap as holiday season. They then decided to sell the campervan?! I went up to visit last week...1 month till the wedding and was asked " Can you do me a favour? Look at hotels for me in the area"...if her children weren't there I would have slapped her round the head. I looked and surprise, surprise only 2 hotel rooms available both wildly out of their budget 😡

• BornBridezilla, we had people just not turn up on the day and had to pay for their meals. 

(Tried twice to quote your post but it didn't work).

• People being clueless about hotels - we live in quite a touristy area and it's peak season. It's only just over a week to the wedding and this week we had one friend of H2B's asking if we can get an extra bed put in a room at the venue so he can share with 2 of the groomsmen. It's wedding party only at the venue - and it's not even big enough to fit the whole wedding party so we've had to prioritise just those people coming from furthest away. He's not even a groomsmen, he knows it's wedding party only, but he's left it so late we felt like we had to say yes. Then some of my friends who live the other side of London just mentioning yesterday they've not arranged any accommodation for that night so 'might not be able to stay' - as it's on a Sunday the trains are very infrequent so I dread to think how early they'll have to leave if they don't find somewhere!

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,078 New bride
    MrsHowgate2B wrote (see post):

My favourite so far is:

Are you wearing white?

I nearly spat my tea out at that!!!! Rude 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • Kitty12Kitty12 Posts: 119 New bride

We had three people who’d RSVPd yes who didn’t turn up. Two were fine - one was ill and the other had a family emergency, they got messages to us, no problem at all. The third, however, sent no message, told none of his friends who were also attending, didn’t respond to the numerous “are you ok?” messages from his friends, didn’t respond to the thank you note I sent (he sent us a gift). It was only when my husband saw him 3 months later that he said “oh sorry, I had a bad back”. Like that stops you from sending a text message for three months!

There was also the acquaintance who begged me for an evenin invite and then didn’t RSVP or turn up, and the fact that the RSVPs I had to chase repeatedly  were from two of my closest family members, both of whom have planned weddings and know the need to get numbers to the venue.

Ok, I feel better now!

• My future in-laws keep treating the wedding as a joke. We can’t have a serious conversation about it, they just make jokey suggestions to wind me up, or they’ll send me links to ugly bridesmaid dresses.

His parents foster kids and his mum will say ”oh you MUST invite (name of kid), you were their brother for a while”. They aren’t even contributing a penny to the wedding.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,135 New bride

My Mum.

The end. 😫

• abiscottabiscott Posts: 41 New bride
    MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

I've posted this before:

Oh Wow!!

My MIL has begged to come dress shopping with me as it's probably going to be her only opportunity.  Having read this, there will be a no photo policy because she is 100% like that!!

Feel so annoyed on your behalf, but thanks for the tip 

• abiscottabiscott Posts: 41 New bride
    MrsHowgate2B wrote (see post):

My favourite so far is:

Are you wearing white?

Seriously??????  I do hope you've taken said person off your guestlist!!