Would you like a wedding like this?

Hello all, I am hoping that sometime in the near future we will be in the position to sell our family home and open our own small wedding venue, I am thinking along these lines and want to get some feedback now before I get any further with purchasing anything else (we already have a huge amount of the china, glassware and table linen etc). My idea is to have a vintage themed venue that can be dressed in various colour ways and with a subtle change of some key items will give a hint to a certain era ie 40'S 50'S or simply be given a rustic country feel. People would be able to choose from these set themes and colour ways and everything would be dressed for the wedding by event staff, no need to worry about collecting things yourself! I would also have the option of providing a vinyl and shellac DJ meaning that the event would have a true vintage feel, music available would range from the 20's up to the early 90's and would include genres such as Rock.n.Roll 40's Swing, Soul Disco and Funk, Reggae Calypso and classic pop from the 60's/70's, Jazz of many types too! Catering, we were thinking of making it less formal  and having sharing platters and covered dishes of veg etc so people can help themselves, or for a country theme a squiffy picnic with everything contained in hampers that people share from? Drinks would include the use of vintage punch bowls and all glassware would be vintage too, cocktails also served in teapots for that prohibition vibe! Hoping to find somewhere with outside space so we can make a special space for outside weddings when the weather permits! (and would also mean that our vintage games could be put to good use)

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,069 New bride

It's a nice idea but I think it will have limited appeal - I'm on several wedding sites and forums and 99% of brides want the kind of thing that's in fashion/trending on Pinterest that year.

I would personally keep it all much more neutral to appeal to a wider audience - there are hundreds of venue dressers out there who already have all the stuff required for vintage theme weddings so I don't see the benefit in you acquiring huge amounts of stuff that may be used rarely, if ever.

People tend to keep weddings fairly mainstream/generic because while they may be in to certain types of music/fashion etc, most of their guests won't be. I'm 34, above average age for first time brides and was born in the 80s, nothing music wise of any era before the 90s would much interest me, odd songs yes, but not a DJ playing only a certain genre all night.

If I went to a wedding and the music was all jazz or all 40s swing I'd be bored to tears to be honest as they just aren't my thing.

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,077 New bride
    It sounds nice but I'd also be concerned it's too limiting. Not everyone is going to want exactly all the elements of your vision.

Could you offer various packages? So everything in at X price, venue hire at X price, different drinks packages at X price, and so on.. 
    Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • Thanks for your input guys! I think we would offer the various themes but also say that people could bring in their own DJ, and maybe we could offer a simple white theme of contemporary china that they could add to as well. We would certainly offer various packages as I'm keen to keep the prices affordable for everyone. I may be back with more questions soon lol!!