No wedding breakfast?

Hi I'm just wondering what people's opinions are on an idea we've had for our wedding next year. Our ceremony doesn't start until 17.45 and I'm worried that if we sit down to eat afterwards then there won't be much time left for parrying afterwards, and it would mean we'd have to invite reception guests for about 21.00, which seems really late. So we were thinking of inviting the wedding party and a couple of other ceremony guests to a meal in a restaurant nearby at about 15.00 for a meal before the ceremony, and then just having a few dessert type snacks for afterwards. Does this sound OK? We would make it clear on the invites that this is what's happening so that guests don't expect a meal, but is it really rude? I'm not worried about tradition at all, I just don't want people to think it's really cheeky.
Thanks in advance! 

• MrsRendall2BMrsRendall2B Posts: 714 New bride
    I don't think it's particularly cheeky but it's a bit awkward timing wise. Baring in mind that most people with kids will usually eat around 5/6 and then adults without kids will usually eat around 7/8, your ceremony time falls in that awkward gap, especially since people will probably start arriving from 5 having not eaten since 12/1pm.

I'm not saying it's not do-able but it's going to be tricky because people are either going to have to have a pretty late lunch/early dinner (especially those with kids as you certainly don't want them getting grumpy during the ceremony) and then potentially not eat again until 8:30/9pm. Could you not doing some sharing platters instead of a full on sit down wedding breakfast? You could have 1/2 per table with mini versions of things, make your own sandwiches or something like that. I'd suggest a buffet but presumably you'll be doing something similar for when evening guests arrive?
    P.S Is there a particular reason your ceremony is so late? I've never known a ceremony be any later than like 4pm. Could you push it up a little? That would make things easier.
  • SpiderBrideSpiderBride Posts: 20 New bride
    Hiya thanks for your reply!

The ceremony is so late because we are getting married in a museum that is open to the public until 17.00, so there's no way it can be pushed any earlier unfortunately! The only young kids that will be there will be my own two and I think they'll be fine with eating a big meal between 15.00 and 16.00 and then nibbling on cookies and cake for the rest of the evening. We do it on a Sunday anyway! The other young guests are teenagers. 

I do see your point but I don't know how else to get around it! Budget is also a big part of our decision making and every single wedding caterer is massively expensive :( I guess we can put together some nibbles on a table ourselves though. 
    Ahh fair enough then! :) In that case, I think as long as people are aware that there won't be a proper meal, you should be fine.

I totally understand about budget and food being expensive! Maybe just get some sandwich/wraps/canapé platters from M&S and some bowls of crisps just so there's something for people to be snacking on until the evening reception. :) 
  • SpiderBrideSpiderBride Posts: 20 New bride
    Yeah that makes sense, if we just had a table of bits that we put together ourselves, then that covers anyone who is a bit hungry. 

Thank you :) 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,595 New bride
    I would scrap the meal beforehand and do something like a simple hot buffet (big vat of chilli with rice or jacket potatoes, or similar), or a BBQ if you have outdoor space available.
  • longhaullonghaul Posts: 22 New bride
    I would provide a savory option too (for diabetics, dieters, people with a non sweet tooth) but it sounds like its really just a buffet which is fine