aghhhhhh Not got my dress yet!!!

I'm starting to get really worried. I still havent tried any dresses on yet and I get married on the 8th September!!! I live in England and I'm getting married in Scotland where my mum is and I really want to do the whole mother, daughter thing of trying on dresses together. I 'm going up over xmas and trying on some dresses then but I'm a bit worried now that no shops wont be open. i'm kinda hoping to get my dress for a good price in the sale or over the internet cos although it's a big part of the day, I really cant justify spending lots of money on it. Am I panicking too much or shold I start getting a move on???? Stressing so much about this

• Everywhere I've been have said 6months is enough time although if you have bit more time then great but DON'T worry. You have 9 months so no problem! Book some appointments if it makes you feel better but really really don't worry, it's really unnecessary.
  • You've got plenty of time - but I would ring round and see if the shops are going to be open over Christmas to save yourself a wasted journey.

Don't worry, 6 months is about the recommended time so you've got ages yet xxx
  • Never mind about a wasted journey for the bride. What about a completely wasted appointment for the dress shop!!!!

She has said that she intends to buy in a sale or over the net. Most shops over Christmas work on a strict appointment only because they have to come in specially for that bride. I don't think they would be too happy.I think that is really dishonest.
  • Thanks everyone. Will defenitely give the shops a call to see if htey are open first. Gail, just because I want to try and buy my dress in the sale I'm sure my custom is valued as much as someone who wants to spend hundreds of pounds. I'm sure lots of brides 2b have been in lots of shops trying on dresses until they have found their dream dress and this is certainly not dishonest.
  • I didnt say it was dishonest to buy your dress in a sale, I'm all for saving money myself. I take it you are going to tel the shops that you want to buy in a sale or on the net when you make the appointment then ?
  • Please don't worry! I only started planning my wedding at the end of October this year, and it's on the 28th December - yes, this year!

The initial reaction of the big dress shops is horror when you tell them you've only got 6 weeks or so, but there are ways round it - you can buy the dress from then in the stock size and then get it altered privately. You might find you are offered a smaller range to choose from, but that's quite helpful as it forces you not to dither around (which I am apt to do..)!

Alternatively, go to one of the smaller designers - I found they were much more flexible, and that's what I ended up doing.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!
  • ps - I live in Edinburgh, although I ended up getting my dress in London, because I have had to be down there a lot in the past couple of weeks.

You might want to try Alma Ogilvie in St Stephen's Street when you are up - my sister got her dress there, and I don't remember it taking too long. I think they also stock Sassi Holford designs, which are lovely.

A dressmaker called Freya in Dundas Street would have been prepared to make my dress in 6 weeks.

Avoid Emma Roy in Edinburgh like the plague! - I have heard of loads of people having bad experiences there, and when I went in I was none too impressed!
  • brentuk1brentuk1 Posts: 3,071
    Hi

don't worry about the time you have got plenty of time. I get married in May 07 and only ordered my dress this morning - It is coming from Thailand so hopefully it will only take 6 - 8 weeks.

I to like you wanted a Mother/Daughter dress trying on exhibition but my mum lives in Liverpool and i am just outside Gatwick so I have had to go by what i thought and then sent pictures to my mum over the net of the dress.

She is pleased with my choice.

Fingers crossed and good luck with everything and enjoy yourself.

xx

Samanthaxx

• Hello mrsweston2b,

I'm an 8th Sep bride as well and agree with the rest of the posts in that you have more than enough time.

I have tried on a fair few dresses but my Mom is only down the road from me. I can imagine that if there was the distance that is between you and your Mom then I wouldn't have been yet.

I've had different shops give me lead times varying from 3.5 to 6 months. We've got 8.5 months left so no need to panic.

As for it being dishonest about going into different shops, even if you don't have any intention of buying anything from there, I think that is ridiculous. Surely bridal shops don't expect everyone who tries on a dress in one of their shops to purchase from them. That would be unrealistic.

Hope you manage to try on some dresses over Christmas with your Mom. Enjoy swishing around in the pretty dresses.

• I feel much better now and cant wait to start trying those dresses on!! I'll let you all know how I've got on xx
  • brentuk1brentuk1 Posts: 3,071
    GOOD LUCK HUN

happy hunting

XX

Samanthaxx

• I actually got my dress in Emma Roy's here in Edinburgh, purely though becuase if had a sale on, so if its got a sale its worth going in, my dress was a barginous £100 but I did find them a little pushy and unhelpful first time around.

Good luck. x
  • Quoted:
    Hello mrsweston2b,

I'm an 8th Sep bride as well and agree with the rest of the posts in that you have more than enough time.

I have tried on a fair few dresses but my Mom is only down the road from me. I can imagine that if there was the distance that is between you and your Mom then I wouldn't have been yet.

I've had different shops give me lead times varying from 3.5 to 6 months. We've got 8.5 months left so no need to panic.

As for it being dishonest about going into different shops, even if you don't have any intention of buying anything from there, I think that is ridiculous. Surely bridal shops don't expect everyone who tries on a dress in one of their shops to purchase from them. That would be unrealistic.

Hope you manage to try on some dresses over Christmas with your Mom. Enjoy swishing around in the pretty dresses.

Please read the thread carefully. I have never said that going to lots of shops is dishonest!

What i did say is that using the shops very expensive time , when you have absolutely no intention of buying a gown is dishonest.

I notice that mrsweston2b didn't answer my question about whether she was going to be upfront about her intentions when she books her appointments.That rather proves the point.
  • stkezstkez Posts: 2,247
    Dont worry. Im getting married 26th aug 07 and ive not got my dress ordered yet.

• Gail30,

I think youre being a bit mean, how is mrsweston2b sposed to know what suits her etc if she doesnt try on before she buys. The dress shops surely expect people to go and try on and not buy. Many many people must do what mrsweston2b is thinking of doing.

Sorry to butt in but i just thought you were beng a little strict about the whole thing. Also she sounded frantic enough in her email without you having a go.

Sorry to be blunt!
  • Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Hello mrsweston2b,

Please read the thread carefully. I have never said that going to lots of shops is dishonest!

What i did say is that using the shops very expensive time , when you have absolutely no intention of buying a gown is dishonest.

I notice that mrsweston2b didn't answer my question about whether she was going to be upfront about her intentions when she books her appointments.That rather proves the point.

Gail, I find your comments really quite cheeky and actually quite rude. What Mrstobe does is entirely up to her.

She is well within her rights to go to any shop which is open and try on whatever she likes irrespective of whether she intends to buy there or not. Why you feel she should tell them her plans is just beyond me and frankly it is none of your business.

If the shop has a problem with this they don't know anything about customer service.

I had no intention of spending up to £2k on a dress but because of good customer service I am now considering it.

Perhaps you may like to think a little before making such high and mighty comments which are likely to be upsetting.
  • I don't understand why it is seen as a "right" to deliberately waste a shops time like this?Going to an independantly owned shop and booking someones individual time is not like going into a chain store to "browse". Every single appointment involves a huge expense to the shop concerned. Shops do expect brides to shop around, but they should also be able to expect that someone who books an exclusive appointment with them to actually be in the market to buy a gown, if not from them then another bridal shop. It is the intention [/b]that is important.When brides do this they not only stop genuine brides form having an appointment but the shop has to recoup the loss by making the dresses more expensive than they need to be.

If you dont think it is dishonest to do this, then why is it a problem to tell the shop your intentions?

• I haven't got my dress either & get married in Sept 07, not worrying about it tho.

I know this week in Manchester I've had no probs getting appts to view & try on dresses, each of the shops I contacted today have all given me a number of available appt times. I think is prob due to the fact it is 1 week before christmas & not many b2b wanting 2 try dresses on now. I'm going to the different shops for a number of reasons,

1) try on different dresses to find what suits me

2) get idea of cost should I happen to see THE ONE

3) taking a friend to take pics to show sil2b & mil2b as they live 250 miles away and are helping me choose dress.

If after trying on dresses I find out what style suits me but dont find THE ONE then I will be looking on the internet with a view to buying a dress from there!

You are not going to like all the dresses you see & try on so it is good to keep an open mind as to where you may get your dress from.
  • Gail, I didn't answer your thread because I'm not here to start an argument. i'm on here to get a dvise and support for my forthcoming wedding. If I feel want to try dresses on in any bridal shops then that is my choice whether I buy it there or not.
  • at the end of the day we are spending a modest fortune on our wedding dresses, so it has to be the best one. i personally must have visited nearly 20 shops to make sure i found The One.

i heard from a friend that in new zealand they charge $50 for an appt, which is only refundable if you buy a dress from that shop.

thank goodness they don't do that here otherwise i would have paid for my dress in appt fees before i found my perfect dress.

try and look at as many dresses a possible before choosing the right one!

;\)
  • As I understand it your intention is to buy a dress from the shop and if you don't see one there then having an idea of what style suits you you will order on-line. As I understand it that is what a lot of the brides on here have done and I personally don't see anything wrong in that. It's not like you're not getting married and therefore are just going round trying wedding dresses on to fill up your afternoon.

I for one intended to shop around to get a bargain. As it happens I was lucky and found a dress quickly. Enjoy your time with your Mum shopping and good luck with the hunting x x x x x
  • Hi cant believe what i have just read on this topic - how pathetic - having a go at a girl who like most other brides has booked an appt at a bridal shop to try dresses on when she no intention of buying one!!!!!!!!!!

I think you need to keep your opinions to yourself gail if you dont want to upset others as for the author of topic you do right to book an appt in a shop even if you have no intention of buying - i work in a bank and get people coming to talk to me about our products all the time that may not want to "buy" then and there but i dont tell them to get lost just cos they're not buying simply because i know if i give them a great service initially they are more likely to come back should they decide to take a financial product!!!!!!!!!!!

• I was having my dress made i knew this straight away but i still went and tried dresses on as i wanted to know what suited me i think it is ridiculous to assume that you go with the intention of buying a dress from a certain shop ...even if you do find the one in a certain shop the price may not be the one so what does it hurt to shop around..

I hope that you have every success up in scotland and find your dream dress ! xx
  • Thanks for all your words of support. I'm going to try lots of styles on and hopefuly I will find the one. I'm really excited now and cant wait to start shopping. I'll let you all know how I get on. Thanks girlies xxx
  • Sorry, I thought forums were places where you were allowed to express your opinions. Just because someones opinion is different dosen't make it rude.My observation is that it is dishonest to do this. It's no different to booking an appointment to view a house you have no intention of buying, You are putting someone through a lot of work and trouble for nothing.You can't justify it by saying " I was bored and thought it would a good day out"

Exictedbtb, what you have said is perfectly right and reasonable and probably the way most btbs would search for their dress. The difference is you were quite open to to buying your gown from the shop if you found the right one. What the poster and a couple of others have said is that they had no intention to buy from the beginning. That is what I think is dishonest.

The reason nobody has answered my question yet is that we all know that if you said to the shop I dont want to buy anything because "I'm getting it made", "buying from the net", "just fancy a day out", They would never quite rightly never give you an appointment!

You know it is lying so stop trying to justify yourselves.
  • So okay you can't tell me that you have never been window shopping tried something on knowing full well you can't afford it, been in a shop becuase the window display was pretty, gone to a make up/perfume counter and sprayed the samples, tasted free food from samples at waitrose, saainsburys etc ...

GET REAL
  • Gail, please change the record
  • MoominmummyMoominmummy Posts: 1,621
    Gail, you're right that a forum is a place where you can express your opinion.

We have now heard your opinion several times over.

As Mrsweston2b says change the record!!! image
  • Yes, I agree that this forum is for people to express their differing opinions, but I object that people have been called liars - I find that very unfair and against the spirit of the site. None of us really know one another on here, nor the extent of each others personal circumstances to make those kind of judgments.

What started out as a fun thread about finding a dress has turned into a bit of a spat and detracts from the true nature of this site.

Gail, you are entitled to you opinion, as am I and all the other B2B's on here. What we should be doing is expressing our opinions, and respecting one anothers opinions whether they are for or against our own, and not getting into personal insults like saying people are lying.

Let's keep the fun in this site and not fall out with one another

x x x x x x x x x