NEED YOUR HELP.... GIRLS.. PLEASE READ!

One of my Bridesmaids...

My sister... has lost alot of weight... Her bridesmaid dress is huge now...

Does anyone know IF a dress can be taken in? from about a size 18 to a size 12??

having a break down... going to feed.. her up with cakes and sweets if NOT

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH XX

• clarekellclarekell Posts: 6,666
    I don't know about a dress being taken in from an 18 to a 12.

I would have thought that it has a lot to do with the fabric & the cut of the material!

Sorry, I don't think I am much help ( have to say though that your sis has done well going from an 18 to a 12!!! image )

I am sure things will be OK ! Hugs x x
  • deakin2bdeakin2b Posts: 79
    talk to a seamstress as she'll be the one to give you a definate answer. at least she hasn't gained that weight as its a lot harder to let a dress out by that much.LOL!
  • gemst84gemst84 Posts: 6,961
    HI HUNNI

I DON'T THINK A DRESS CAN BE TAKEN IN THAT MUCH.I'VE BEEN ASKING ABOUT THIS LATELY AS ONE OF MY BM'S IS PREGGERS AND WILL HAVE TO ORDER HER DRESS BEFORE SHE GIVES BIRTH.I WAS TOLD THAT A DRESS COULD ONLY BE TAKEN IN ABOUT A SIZE,2 AT A STRETCH.

SORRYHUNNI,HOPE I'M WRONG.

XX
  • sarahlou1980sarahlou1980 Posts: 187
    Is there no way you can reorder the dress in a smaller size for her. I doubt it can be altered by such a lot and still look as good.

You should just be proud of your sister for doing so well with her weight loss, it takes a lot to lose that much.

xx
  • clarryclarry Posts: 3,311
    It all depends on the style and fabric. You need to show it to someone who does alterations and they'll tell you straight away x
  • Hi

I think they can only be taken in by a maximum of 2 sizes but corested dresses can come in more as they can be tied tighter after being taken in.

Or so the woman who sold me the dresses for my BM's told us. Both my Bm's are busty (to put it politely) and one has a very slender waist whilst the other is larger. The lady said if we went for a coset type dress the lace can be tighted or loosened as necessary giving much more flexibility with sizing than a zip or button up style.

Obviously this only helps if your sis has this style.

As deakin2b says, speak to a seamstress and also the shop where you bought the dresses.

xx
  • hi I had a dress reduced from a size 16 to an 8 it all depends on the style of the dress like the other ladies have said find a good seamstress that can help
  • Leah101ukLeah101uk Posts: 259
    Thanks girls.. have got some numbers to ring tomo morning... ahhh

Thanks x
  • thumpertoo2thumpertoo2 Posts: 2,138
    what is the dress style? as has been said was told a maximum of 2 sizes dependi on the style.
  • rosebery44rosebery44 Posts: 820
    Hi - as everyone else has said, it does depend on the style of dress I think. One of my bridesmaids lost an awful lot of weight and went from a size 12 to a size 8 (not by choice, I have to add).

The dresses were a slim knee length, and so they were easily taken in.

A good dressmaker will be able to advise you.

Good luck!
  • tuppenceuktuppenceuk Posts: 5,346
    Speaking as a seamstress (and not having seen the dress, obviously)...

Yes it can be done, but as others have said, how successfully depends on the style - particularly whether it has sleeves or not.

Occasionally it may have to be taken apart and recut - for example if it has waist darts, and they end up in the wrong place, extra seams may need to be added to make it fit.

Any good dressmaker or seamstress can do it, if you pick one who can cut patterns. If they exclusively use commercial patterns, they may not have the expertise in cutting if it needs to be taken apart, re-cut, and put back together.
  • Lainey_emLainey_em Posts: 167
    I went from a 16 to a 12 last year for my sisters wedding and got my dress taken in all over no problem looked fantastic it was a two piece with a boned top.