Are people having a veil with their Ian Stuart Dress?

I'm going for my first fitting tomorrow morning and so now need to think about whether or not to have a veil. I'll be wearing the rather obvious choker with the dress and a nice spangly tiara and when I've tried it on in the past with a veil I've felt too princessy and over the top (this was a floor length veil too, which didn't help!).

What are you all doing?

I'm wearing it in champagne as shown:

http://www.ianstuart-bride.com/docs/4.straw_jardin.html

• _Jules__Jules_ Posts: 705
    I haven't got an ian stuart dress, but i think their beautiful, i love your dress to. I really want one, im going dress shopping next week. In my opinion i wouldn't have a veil, think it would be too much.

I just hope the price is decent for me!

Jules x
  • Thats a stunning dress! Perhaps try it with a shorter veil, or one that doesnt cover your face?

I have got a very simple dress and think I will wear a small veil, but not over my face. My mum doesnt want me to have one but my sister thinks I looked the complete bride with one!

Just try on different styles and perhaps take a camera with you so you can think about it away from the shop?
  • ooh tricky its such a lush dress and think it could handle a veil, maybe even demands one! to complete the fabness, however i can see how its important not to overpower the dress, i think its a case of trying and seeing how you feel, but i would go for a simple waist length one

• Hi, not having an Ian Stuart dress but like you m dress is gorgeously detailed. I am VERY lucky in that my designer is doing my calico dress fitting and I am going to get her to put me in the sample dress and get her opinion on to veil or not to veil image I was dead dead against a veil and was just having a tiara ....... but I was dead against a big dress and that's what I have had so don't want to look back on photos and think what would it have looked like with a veil. Try one with the dress again and you should know yes or no. I am thinking of a shorter one and just at the back, not wearing it over my face

Andrea x
  • Hi Lilycat

I have chosen a small veil which just covers my shoulders and doesn't cover up the dress. http://www.ianstuart-bride.com/docs/4.straw_frangipani.html

But I've gone for one with little diamondy/crystal bits on it to emphasis those on the material of the dress. Plus I think in the evening I will just take it off.

...the veil that is not the dress!

image' alt='http://image' onLoad='resizeImage(this);' width='350' onClick='ShowFullSize(this);'>

[Modified by: vixen06 on February 02, 2007 05:44 PM]
  • StephRukStephRuk Posts: 159
    Hi Lilycat,

I wasn't going to wear a veil. I'm getting married in http://www.ianstuart-bride.com/docs/4.straw_inez.html

What I was thinking of doing was getting a combe or something for my hair and wearing an ornate chocker and pair of earings.

[Modified by: StephR on February 02, 2007 06:16 PM]
  • Thanks guys, knew I could count on you!

-And thanks for all the "lovely dress" comments!

Vixen i love the frangipan dress it's so fantastic and StephR that dress is fabulous (okay, I sound like an effeminate gay man now!). I think you're all right, I should just go and try, try, try. Will see how I get on.

_Jules_, dont worry about the prices, hopefully your shops will have some in stock that are within your budget. Just don't try on any that aren't in your budget or you'll cry or spend loads!

Thanks everyone, will let you know how I get on.

• Lilycat I definetely agree try a few different veils with the dress. Some dresses suit a veil some don't, I think StephR is right the Inez would look better without.

Spend as long as it takes in the shop to make your mind up, after all you are potentially spending a lot of money, you may as well enjoy yourself in the process!

• I dont know whether you need a veil with that dress it is fab ..i love it !
  • Thanks all. As it turned out, I didn't get much of a chance to try anything on because I ended up nearly passing out. Oh dear. Don't know if i'm coming down with something or if the corset was too tight and I was standing still for ages so the seamstress could pin my hem. Now have another month before I go back to try again!! Thanks for all your comments and I'll let you know how I get on. x
  • eld1eld1 Posts: 48
    I am going for my first ever fitting with a bridal shop and am going along to a ian stuart designer day in brighton.. im really excited and wanted to know how the dresses by him come up...?? im in love with the dress fonteyn by him!! has anyone tried that on???
  • JenniwJenniw Posts: 173
    I've ordered Fonteyn for my dress it is so lovely on. I tried it on in a bigger sixe so can't wait to try my actual one on. I went in specifically to buy Inez but the assistant suggested I try on something with more volume - I tried on 5 dresses and instantly knew fonteyn was the one for me!:\)
  • Hi, I'm new here but just wanted to give my comment on this subject. I've gone for Ian Stuart Marcella which I think is from his last season collection as I got it half price. here's a link to it: http://www.weddingdaysofcheltenham.co.uk/brides/IanStuart/ianstuart.htm - it's the one that says "sold" emblazened across the pic! I tried on a veil with it and it looked fab, the elbow length veil looked odd so I'm getting a full length one (although it is plain). The dresses are so dramatic that they can carry off a veil. I can see peoples points about maybe it being a bit OTT, but if you're going for Ian Stuart then you're hardly going to be a shy retiring type! Go for it, it's once in a lifetime and it's really only for the ceremony anyway!

PS. Got my veil for £17 from ebay, and got an amazing tiara for £12, highly recomend!
  • Hello

I tried on Fonteyn yesterday, the shop assistant put a full length veil on me and a tiara, when I got on the box turned and looked in the mirror, I alm ost cried, I looked like a real bride!

The veil had little crystals on it and complemented the crystals on the dress.

I hadn't thought about having a veil but now I am definately going to have one!

Fonteyn is quite simple at the back so I think the veil complements the dress. Some of his other dresses have very detailed backs and it would be a shame to cover them up.

Go with your gut!

Sim

• Hi Lilycat,

Oh my god, we are having the same dresses, i've ordered mine in the Ivory and have asked for some further customisation on the back, had a sneak preview the other week and it looks absolutely amazing. I am having a veil, it is just below shoulder level, original plans was not to have one but was slightly pushed into my mother and the lady in the shop. Must say it finished the dress fabulously and really made me feel like a bride.

Good luck with all the arrangements

Donna

• Hi Lilycat,

Oh my god, we are having the same dresses, i've ordered mine in the Ivory and have asked for some further customisation on the back, had a sneak preview the other week and it looks absolutely amazing. I am having a veil, it is just below shoulder level, original plans was not to have one but was slightly pushed into my mother and the lady in the shop. Must say it finished the dress fabulously and really made me feel like a bride.

Good luck with all the arrangements

Donna

Hey Simmers,

I'm wearing Fonteyn too and whilst I was unsure about getting a veil at first I think you're right about the back being more plain so it does suit one. I ordered one last week with crystals in it too! x
  • Hey Donna9!

Glad it's not just me having Jardin! I've got my second fitting this saturday and am still undecided about a veil. Just not sure! I did make my tiara the other day so I think I'll take this with me to see what it's all going to look like, maybe I'll get a better idea that way - i'm wearing the choker with it too you see.
    the shop contacted me yesterday to say my dress is ready - so excited!